The Student Room Group

AQA M2- June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by alexs2602
Yeah, length, radius, whatever, it's always metres.

Thanks.

June 10, can anyone help me with 8b. I don't understand why the markscheme says T=mgcos (15). And not T cos (15) =mg. How can the weight of the object be acting horizontally?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Original post by OllyHV
Thanks.

June 10, can anyone help me with 8b. I don't understand why the markscheme says T=mgcos (15). And not T cos (15) =mg. How can the weight of the object be acting horizontally?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

I can see it. Try not to think of ' cos ' as meaning horizontally all the time. It does in some cases but here it would'nt end up that way.

If you remember your trig you know Cos(x) = a/h
Now in this example the mg is acting downward and in order to form an equation with T you need mg acting in the same direction as T.
Can you see that T acts along the hypotenuse of part of the triangle ?
And can you also see that mg acts in the same direction as the adjacent ( directly down).

If it helps you then have a diagram where T is along the hypotenuse and mg is along the adjacent ( which you can do because they are both directly down)
Then its easy to see that to get mg acting in the same direction as T you must have

Cos (x) = a/h
Cos (x) = mg/T
mg cos (x) = T
and yeh x = 15.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Lightman123
I can see it. Try not to think of ' cos ' as meaning horizontally all the time. It does in some cases but here it would'nt end up that way.

If you remember your trig you know Cos(x) = a/h
Now in this example the mg is acting downward and in order to form an equation with T you need mg acting in the same direction as T.
Can you see that T acts along the hypotenuse of part of the triangle ?
And can you also see that mg acts in the same direction as the adjacent ( directly down).

If it helps you then have a diagram where T is along the hypotenuse and mg is along the adjacent ( which you can do because they are both directly down)
Then its easy to see that to get mg acting in the same direction as T you must have

Cos (x) = a/h
Cos (x) = mg/T
mg cos (x) = T
and yeh x = 15.

Hope that helps.

.... not that I'm doing this Q but I was following your logic until you did the equations. You couldn't get mg cos (x) = T from cos (x) = mg/T
Original post by alexs2602
.... not that I'm doing this Q but I was following your logic until you did the equations. You couldn't get mg cos (x) = T from cos (x) = mg/T

Indeed you cant.. well thats interesting..
The logic made sense so I just assumed the equations would follow..

Well if mg is the adjacent and you have T as the hypotenuse it must be something with cos.. but equation wise it would be Tcos(x) = mg then.. but that gives you 2.168 not 2.32 which is the right answer..
hmm
and all this time iv been blindly doing T=mgcos(x) without realising it doesn't work..
how do they get it then I wonder.
Reply 44
Hmm I think I've got it after looking at a moments question. If you think of MG acting in two directions you can get the bit of mg that is acting parallel to T. They must equal each other so mg cos 15 = t, and then solve for m.

Original post by OllyHV
Hmm I think I've got it after looking at a moments question. If you think of MG acting in two directions you can get the bit of mg that is acting parallel to T. They must equal each other so mg cos 15 = t, and then solve for m.

painfully obvious after looking at that second diagram.. well at least you under stand :smile: even if I helped very little haha
Reply 46
Haha yeh, its just M1 resolving vectors I just haven't seen it in such a long time I had forgotten what to do. Good job i stumbled across this though.
Reply 47
If you have a vertical circle with a particle on the outisde does the Reaction force act away from the circle and if its a particle inside a circle does the reaction force always act towards the centre? I always get confused between those two :s
Has anyone got the specimen?
Reply 49

Surely at Q it has energy 1/2*4*m + 3gm
And at P it has energy 1/2*m*v + gm(3-3cos theta)

But in the mark scheme it just has three energy terms, how come there is no GPE at the top ?
Original post by OllyHV

Surely at Q it has energy 1/2*4*m + 3gm
And at P it has energy 1/2*m*v + gm(3-3cos theta)

But in the mark scheme it just has three energy terms, how come there is no GPE at the top ?

At Q it does have 3mg gpe but at P it has 3mgcos theta not mg(3-3cos theta) the 3mg comes from the gpe at Q :smile: does that help?
Reply 51
Not really can you just think of it as losing 3mg(1-cos theta ) of energy?
Reply 52
olly take the top of the hemisphere as zero gpe
Original post by SmileyGurl13
Has anyone got the specimen?

the specimen paper will be worse then tomorrow garanteed! try a different exam board for more questions!
Original post by OllyHV
Not really can you just think of it as losing 3mg(1-cos theta ) of energy?

Yeah so then the KE at P = the KE at Q plus the lost gpe which is what they've given in the mark scheme :s-smilie:
Original post by Adam_Stephens
the specimen paper will be worse then tomorrow garanteed! try a different exam board for more questions!

Yeah but if I can do the specimen I'm sorted (ish... xD)

Just about to try it :smile:

Someone kindly posted it on this thread : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1682725

If anyone wants it :smile:
Reply 56

Someone kindly posted it on this thread : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1682725

Thanks
Reply 57

Did you try it??

The question at the end is baffling me :s-smilie: where its asks for h do you only consider energy between the top of the hill and the bottom just before the loop, does it have nothing to with loop?
On the specimen paper why does kt turn positive after integration?

Q. 6 a
Original post by Naathan_b
Did you try it??

The question at the end is baffling me :s-smilie: where its asks for h do you only consider energy between the top of the hill and the bottom just before the loop, does it have nothing to with loop?

Yeah :smile: the energy at the top of the hill must equal the energy at the bottom of the loop as none is lost, yes this does still equal the energy at the top of the loop too but you don't need that to work out h. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending