The Student Room Group

How can I become a Math tutor.

Hey guys I know it might sound absurd, But I was planning to become a math tutor during summer holiday 2011, I am currently in year 11, so I am on holiday right now (study leave) except some exams that need to be accomplished.
A math tutor is a person who goes to student's house and help them study math...Obviously... I am planning to do only within my area, so I don't have to travel by bus or train.
I am going to be one right after all the exams, is that possible? If so, how can I start?:frown:
I think I can teach Both GCSE and A-level math to a certain standard, but not further math...
I am not too confident about this but I got to try, since it will be a good experience for me as well. (who am I kidding, I just don't want to get bored...)
I am pretty good at explaining math problem, I've always helped my classmate.:wink:

So, what do you think?

PS: The only trouble I might face is that I am worried if the tutored pupil does not get what I explained. It is very gracious of you concerning about being sued by parents and teacher, I will not allow such thing to occur, so please do give me some advice on how to start the tutoring.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just out of curiousity, how are you able to teach A level maths when your only in year 11? :/
Have you even sat A level?

What if you get sued for teaching things incorrectly?
Reply 3
Get lyk A's in maths init. And different8e bare tings.
Reply 4
:facepalm2:
If you're gonna tutor a subject; you should be able to get full marks quite easily.
Can you?
Reply 6
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
If you're gonna tutor a subject; you should be able to get full marks quite easily.
Can you?

Well I cannot do it "easily" but I certainly understand all the concept. And be able to do all the question in general, as the old saying stated: No one is perfect, even my math teacher has to think some hard question before telling me.:smile:
Reply 7
Teaching A-Level Maths as a GCSE student?
Reply 8
I was actually wondering this too.. Have been thinking about tutoring for a while, but never really started it. Don't worry, I'm not as young as OP.. Finishing A2 so this could fill some of my 3 month holiday! I basically taught my neighbours daughter maths GCSE because she wanted to do it early but her school didn't offer it.. But other than that I don't know anyone wanting tutoring.. Any ideas how I can start??
Original post by asas78978
Well I cannot do it "easily" but I certainly understand all the concept. And be able to do all the question in general, as the old saying stated: No one is perfect, even my math teacher has to think some hard question before telling me.:smile:

Yh True; I've considered becoming a tutor as well (all my mates are like they'd pay me if I did), but do you really want to take on the responsibility (obvo not fully) of someone else maths results ?
Reply 10
Original post by saajan_92
I was actually wondering this too.. Have been thinking about tutoring for a while, but never really started it. Don't worry, I'm not as young as OP.. Finishing A2 so this could fill some of my 3 month holiday! I basically taught my neighbours daughter maths GCSE because she wanted to do it early but her school didn't offer it.. But other than that I don't know anyone wanting tutoring.. Any ideas how I can start??

Much appreciation for sharing the story with me, that tells me that I am not alone,:wink:.
Unfortunately I do not have the chance to teaching someone else's daughter on my neighbor, as they do not deserve school. I was thinking if I can put a little paper on the board inside somewhere like Morrison supermarket or Park. So everyone could see it.
That is the only way I can think so far, because I cannot do online tutoring because I do not feel comfortable and I regards it as "deceptive teaching."
Reply 11
Original post by Mr Goon

Original post by Mr Goon
Teaching A-Level Maths as a GCSE student?

lol at that! loving the image!!
Reply 12
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Yh True; I've considered becoming a tutor as well (all my mates are like they'd pay me if I did), but do you really want to take on the responsibility (obvo not fully) of someone else maths results ?

There are some misunderstand here, I cannot personally control his result, but I can at least let him know everything about the topic, I am not planning to become a private math tutor but a home math tutor, so I will offer the extra math help, the tutee will still learn from school. :smile: I am not going to take huge responsibility, because I don't think I am ready for that.:s-smilie:
Reply 13
I got into tutoring purely through word of mouth; people knew I was 'clever'/good at maths/etc, so they asked me if I would tutor their kids, we agreed rates, and I did.

Don't ever tutor something you haven't first attained a very good grade in yourself. You will not be able to explain it properly. I only tutor GCSE maths, even now. (I'd be comfortable tutoring AS maths too though, I think.)

Also, be prepared to purchase textbooks/study guides relating to the syllabi you want to teach - look at them as investments.
Original post by asas78978
There are some misunderstand here, I cannot personally control his result, but I can at least let him know everything about the topic, I am not planning to become a private math tutor but a home math tutor, so I will offer the extra math help, the tutee will still learn from school. :smile: I am not going to take huge responsibility, because I don't think I am ready for that.:s-smilie:

I'm just saying that they're paying you so the tutee and their parents expect results.
Have you done AS Maths?
when you meant maths tutor, i kinda thought you meant tutoring year 6's as you are in gcse?
dude, just get your gcse maths and then do your a level math to an A standard before you can claim that you can teach it because atm it's like you are bringing a knife to a gun fight

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob
Reply 16
maths*
Reply 17
To teach A level maths you need a degree in maths, and you think you can do it when you havent even earned a gcse in maths, get real dude -.-
Reply 18
who wants tutoring in the summer? :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by dolmio
who wants tutoring in the summer? :s-smilie:

Good point, that's why I want to post the thread, to see.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest