The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by RosieH7
I've been! I don't know how much experience you have with donkeys but they are (in my opinion) one of the most amazing animals ever. They are so unbelievably clever! one got extra feeds because he was underweight, and he shared like a pen thing with another donkey that didn't so when he got full he dragged the food bowl over to the fence, (his friend was in the field attatched to his pen so he could eat his dinner without it being stolen) his friend picked it up with his teeth and together they sorted of lifted it through the bars, and then his friend ate the rest, looked round and then kicked it back under the fence!

Awwwhhhh :smile: That's so clever and unbelievably adorable.
Reply 181
Oh cool :smile: so you've done really well! what were the interviews like? what did they ask? i think i will end up fainting with nerves! (sorry for the 20 questions!)

Ikr! They are really different to horses too, like if a horse is frightened they run off and panic but donkeys just stay and refuse to move, litterally they just like lock their hind legs and won't budge!
I was talking to the vet there and he said how difficult it was to treat them because you can't tell if they are in pain, he said that he once saw a donkey and he thought it looked a bit peaky but seemed well enough and the people said it had been playing and acting normal and 3 days later it died, and he yanno opened it up inside and it was completely like dead, he said it must have been 'dead' weeks but because they ignore pain so much and are breeded to endure so much it had just carried on as normal!
Original post by RosieH7
Oh cool :smile: so you've done really well! what were the interviews like? what did they ask? i think i will end up fainting with nerves! (sorry for the 20 questions!)

the interviews weren't that bad! Liverpool's is like speed dating with 7 stations, and they just ask you about work exp, ethics, science, and test your knowledge of the profession etc.

Nottingham swear you to secrecy about their interview process as the element of surprise is all part of it, but they test your teamwork/dexterity, as well as normal interview questions on your PS, motivation, achademics, experience etc etc.... We were also told to prepare to handle a live animal :wink:

Sorry I know i'm being very vague but its very frowned upon to give too much away :redface:
Reply 183
Oh no it's fine! Thanks for what you've said anyways! I understand it's not fair on future candidates if others are at an advantage.

wow nottingham though! like an MI5 mission!
Original post by RosieH7
Oh no it's fine! Thanks for what you've said anyways! I understand it's not fair on future candidates if others are at an advantage.

wow nottingham though! like an MI5 mission!

It is a bit :tongue: but the interview day was really fun I thought! The questionnaire they send out first I reckon is the hardest bit!
Reply 185
Haha Nottingham sounds awesome tbh! It's gonna be my 3rd or 4th choice so I want an interview now just to see what it consists of...

Just booked up august :biggrin: week small animal vets, week dairy, week cattery! (plus week kennels but that's been a long term placement)

Dairy I'm working 7am - 4pm or 6pm depending on what needs doing... Nice and tiring!

REFERENCES wise: hoping one of the lurkers can help us, how many/from where do we need?
Reply 186
Original post by Leigh303

REFERENCES wise: hoping one of the lurkers can help us, how many/from where do we need?

A reference for each place you've been generally. If you've been twice with a while apart maybe you could have a reference each time if your responsibilities were different and you saw different things though? Hope this helps, from a lurker :tongue:
Haha Nottingham sounds awesome tbh! It's gonna be my 3rd or 4th choice so I want an interview now just to see what it consists of...

Just booked up august :biggrin: week small animal vets, week dairy, week cattery! (plus week kennels but that's been a long term placement)

Dairy I'm working 7am - 4pm or 6pm depending on what needs doing... Nice and tiring!

At my dairy farm I worked 6.30am-7pm with less than an hours break! I have never been soo tired!
I would try and get references from each place you go to as then you have a good selection to send to the unis. I also got a reference from an old teacher whos farm I worked on so it was academic as well as personal and I also got one from the pub I worked in and from the DC of my pony club as I used to help out a lot. I think Liverpool is the only uni that specifies what references they want. When I applied it was small vet, large vet, farm, stables and other husbandry but it might have changed so someone correct me if I am wrong! :smile:
Reply 188
I know this question has probabaly been asked a zillion times before, but just out of interest:
How many weeks' experience do you guys have so far? And how many are you hoping to get by the start of year 12 ( and by the time we eventually apply?)

I'm trying to convince myself to not aim for a specific number and just to do as much varied work as possible, just a tad worried that I'm not keeping up with it all though as a year 12 I bumped into today explained how he wished he'd done more earlier.
Reply 189
Original post by EllHv1
I know this question has probabaly been asked a zillion times before, but just out of interest:
How many weeks' experience do you guys have so far? And how many are you hoping to get by the start of year 12 ( and by the time we eventually apply?)

I'm trying to convince myself to not aim for a specific number and just to do as much varied work as possible, just a tad worried that I'm not keeping up with it all though as a year 12 I bumped into today explained how he wished he'd done more earlier.

by september I will have 8 weeks + long term placement in holidays since I was 11. All my work exp is listed in my profile :smile:

next year I will be able to get TONNES of lambing and at least a week LA vet, so I guess overall I'll aim for about 14 + long term placement, depending on what I can find to do :smile: but I'll do as much as possible!
Original post by EllHv1

Im not quite sure about how many weeks ive done so far as most of my work experience is made up of long term placements, but im hoping with what ive done so far and with the full weeks i have booked for between now and August 2012 i'll have done about 1000hours by the time I apply if i manage to keep up with the longterm placements.

Just hope the a level work load isn't too much to be able to keep up with everything :smile:
Reply 191
Been at a kennels all this week :smile: Hard full on work, unlike placements at vet practices where you just shadow and observe for the majority of the time. Fallen in love with a few of the dogs though! Also learning to breathe through my mouth instead of my nose when faced with all sorts of lovely smelly delights! Yum.
Really enjoyable and rewarding though, and am definitely much more confident with bigger dogs! Walking a greyhound when you're just 5ft can be a little daunting, but it's sucha good experience. Don't want to leave :frown: Shame it's a bit of a drive away, otherwise I'd definitely ask to be a Sauturday girl!
Can I come your kennels? Mine sucks
Reply 193
by september I will have 8 weeks + long term placement in holidays since I was 11. All my work exp is listed in my profile :smile:

next year I will be able to get TONNES of lambing and at least a week LA vet, so I guess overall I'll aim for about 14 + long term placement, depending on what I can find to do :smile: but I'll do as much as possible!

That's cool, I only have aorund 4 weeks at the moment and I'm aiming for around 6 by September, and then a similar number as yourself for when I come to apply. :smile:

Original post by Lizziewizz
Im not quite sure about how many weeks ive done so far as most of my work experience is made up of long term placements, but im hoping with what ive done so far and with the full weeks i have booked for between now and August 2012 i'll have done about 1000hours by the time I apply if i manage to keep up with the longterm placements.

Just hope the a level work load isn't too much to be able to keep up with everything :smile:

That's nice that you've got lots of long term stuff, msot of mine so far is all week-long chunks, although I did volunteer at an animal rescue centre for both my bronze and silver dofe awards. 1000 hours, when you write it like that, it sounds loads (and very daunting! :K: ) That's around 20-25 weeks! :O

I struggle to get the longer term placements, the experience placements I have done so far mostly seem to all favour booking in week-long chunks, not sure if yourselves also find this? Think I ought to press a bit for some stuff to do on a more regular basis.

Original post by Amy7
Been at a kennels all this week :smile: Hard full on work, unlike placements at vet practices where you just shadow and observe for the majority of the time. Fallen in love with a few of the dogs though! Also learning to breathe through my mouth instead of my nose when faced with all sorts of lovely smelly delights! Yum.
Really enjoyable and rewarding though, and am definitely much more confident with bigger dogs! Walking a greyhound when you're just 5ft can be a little daunting, but it's sucha good experience. Don't want to leave :frown: Shame it's a bit of a drive away, otherwise I'd definitely ask to be a Sauturday girl!

Yep, I much prefer practices to the farmy and kennely work! I found that some dogs I became perhaps too fond of, and certainly at the rescue centre it makes me feel sad that so many great dogs still haven't found homes, yet the puppies and kittens are snapped up in an instant :frown:
Original post by EllHv1
That's cool, I only have aorund 4 weeks at the moment and I'm aiming for around 6 by September, and then a similar number as yourself for when I come to apply. :smile:

That's nice that you've got lots of long term stuff, msot of mine so far is all week-long chunks, although I did volunteer at an animal rescue centre for both my bronze and silver dofe awards. 1000 hours, when you write it like that, it sounds loads (and very daunting! :K: ) That's around 20-25 weeks! :O

I struggle to get the longer term placements, the experience placements I have done so far mostly seem to all favour booking in week-long chunks, not sure if yourselves also find this? Think I ought to press a bit for some stuff to do on a more regular basis.

Wow I hadnt worked it out like that :redface: Doesnt feel like that much when im just doing a few hours on saturdays and sundays and then a bit extra in the holidays.

I wouldnt worry if you can't get the longer term placements as you'll probably have more variety doing week long placements but a long term placement is good as they begin to trust you and you give you more responsibility.

I only have about 3 weeks of week long placements at the moment but hopefully i'll have 9-10weeks of week long placements by the time we apply so that i have some variety :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by Lizziewizz
Wow I hadnt worked it out like that :redface: Doesnt feel like that much when im just doing a few hours on saturdays and sundays and then a bit extra in the holidays.

I wouldnt worry if you can't get the longer term placements as you'll probably have more variety doing week long placements but a long term placement is good as they begin to trust you and you give you more responsibility.

I only have about 3 weeks of week long placements at the moment but hopefully i'll have 9-10weeks of week long placements by the time we apply so that i have some variety :smile:

So organised! :colondollar: I suppose that's why there appear to be more female vetmed students :L

I see what you mean about responsibility, most places seem to make assumptions and you have to prove yourself to be really that interested, one practice was telling me that this was a result of there being far too many people our age who come along to 'cuddle fluffy animals' for their school work exp week, and when asked what they want to actually be when they're older, they reply with 'hairdresser' or something completely unrelated.

I suppose a mix of the long placements to show dedication and shorter chunks for variety would be ideal, it's so hard to fit everything in though, especially as dates when placements are available sometimes are awkward and clash with other things :rolleyes:
Original post by EllHv1
one practice was telling me that this was a result of there being far too many people our age who come along to 'cuddle fluffy animals' for their school work exp week, and when asked what they want to actually be when they're older, they reply with 'hairdresser' or something completely unrelated.

i can beat that!

One s/a practice I went to for a week invite you for an interview before hand (they only take 4 people a year - one for each week of july) so places were pretty hard to come by and very sought after by those aiming to be vets. They never used to interview until one week a girl walked in sent by her school in full gothic attire (i have nothing against goths, however it wasnt exactly suitable clothing giving off a proffessional vibe!) and when they asked the usual 'are you hoping to be a vet or vet nurse?' so they knew who to put her with most her actual words were 'oh, neither! I want to be a tattoo artist and a piercer, but I cant go there so I came here as I thought the blood and guts would be cool' :eek:
Original post by ILurfSmurf
i can beat that!

One s/a practice I went to for a week invite you for an interview before hand (they only take 4 people a year - one for each week of july) so places were pretty hard to come by and very sought after by those aiming to be vets. They never used to interview until one week a girl walked in sent by her school in full gothic attire (i have nothing against goths, however it wasnt exactly suitable clothing giving off a proffessional vibe!) and when they asked the usual 'are you hoping to be a vet or vet nurse?' so they knew who to put her with most her actual words were 'oh, neither! I want to be a tattoo artist and a piercer, but I cant go there so I came here as I thought the blood and guts would be cool' :eek:

Lol thats hilarious :smile: My vets worked out that i find blood and guts cool without me telling them :tongue:
Reply 198
Original post by ILurfSmurf
i can beat that!

Haha! :smile:

It's always the fault of the schools, they just send their pupils anywhere, and that just makes it ahrder for the people who are serious!
I don't think the whole interview thing is such a bad idea tbh, it's probably good practice also :smile:

Not sure about blood and guts being cool, I'm just glad I didn't feel faint or anything! That for me was a big relief! ::smile:
Reply 199
Starting my work experience at an animal care college tomorrow! Woo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending