The Student Room Group

ANYBODY like Jane Austen? D:

Scroll to see replies

Also, Persuasion is underrated.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Persuasion is underrated.

I agree. It's one of JA's more subtle books but I think it's also one of the most moving.
my mom forced me to read pride and prejudice when i was 10 years old and i hated it because i couldn't understand the old english. i guess i should read the jane austen books over again; i might actually enjoy them now that i'm quite a bit older.
Original post by green chica
my mom forced me to read pride and prejudice when i was 10 years old and i hated it because i couldn't understand the old english. i guess i should read the jane austen books over again; i might actually enjoy them now that i'm quite a bit older.

Although the writing style is different, JA doesn't actually write in Old English so it's not hard to understand. It's just that her sentences tend to be more complex and convoluted than books today.
Original post by Language_student
Although the writing style is different, JA doesn't actually write in Old English so it's not hard to understand. It's just that her sentences tend to be more complex and convoluted than books today.

haha, well it seemed old english to 10-year-old me! though i'm sure you're right. :smile:
Original post by mwnciau
I thought P&P was brilliant. I'm reading some H.G. Wells at the moment, but I might read another by Austen afterwards; any suggestions?

Hmm, depends what you like really. Her novels, although written in her distinctive style, are all quite different. I like Sense and Sensibility though and would probably recommend that one to read after P&P.
I agree. It's one of JA's more subtle books but I think it's also one of the most moving.

Yup, it has the greatest build in tension too I think.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Yup, it has the greatest build in tension too I think.

Yes! Especially towards the end with The Letter:

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late..." :love:
Yes! Especially towards the end with The Letter:

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late..." :love:

I have to admit though, I try and keep Jane Austen reading to the bare minimum because it tends to make me judge today's male species :rolleyes:
Love Jane Austen, and not just for P&P (although Colin Firth :sexface:). I think Emma is great as well.
Reply 30
Original post by Rascacielos

Original post by Rascacielos
Love Jane Austen, and not just for P&P (although Colin Firth :sexface:). I think Emma is great as well.

I watched one of the Emma's and tbh I LOATHED it but I think I might like reading it if only I could only find an available copy in my library
Reply 31
Original post by MOOOSEH
I watched one of the Emma's and tbh I LOATHED it but I think I might like reading it if only I could only find an available copy in my library

Was this the one with Kate Beckinsale? Or Romola Garai? (or someone completely different) I didn't like it as much as other classics adaptations, but it was beter than I expected. I found Emma very annoying though.
Reply 32
Just thought I'd mention that I'm from Basingstoke & Deane and so was Ms Austen :h:

I loveeeeeeeeeee P&P, reading Emma atm and it's really good ofc :biggrin:
Original post by joanna-eve
Just thought I'd mention that I'm from Basingstoke & Deane and so was Ms Austen :h:

I loveeeeeeeeeee P&P, reading Emma atm and it's really good ofc :biggrin:

Lucky you! But (being my usual pedantic self) JA was actually from Steventon.
I've only ready Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility so far but both were excellent. She was clearly a talented writer but for me what makes her really stand out is the dialogue, it's so witty.

"You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves." "You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these last twenty years at least."

"You judge very properly," said Mr. Bennet, "and it is happy for you that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are the result of previous study?"

"Well, well" said he, "do not make yourself unhappy. If you are a good girl for the next ten years, I will take you to a review at the end of them."

It's this type of dialogue that really brings the characters to life. I remember rolling my eyes every time Mr Collins would speak and cringing when Mrs Bennet would open her trap.
Reply 35
Lucky you! But (being my usual pedantic self) JA was actually from Steventon.

Steventon is part of Basingstoke and Deane! :yep:
I have been to her house :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by CuddlyDuddly

Original post by CuddlyDuddly
I've only ready Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility so far but both were excellent. She was clearly a talented writer but for me what makes her really stand out is the dialogue, it's so witty.

"You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves." "You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these last twenty years at least."

"You judge very properly," said Mr. Bennet, "and it is happy for you that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are the result of previous study?"

"Well, well" said he, "do not make yourself unhappy. If you are a good girl for the next ten years, I will take you to a review at the end of them."

It's this type of dialogue that really brings the characters to life. I remember rolling my eyes every time Mr Collins would speak and cringing when Mrs Bennet would open her trap.

pretty much the same w/ me.
But I'm also the sort of freaky tacky person that just kinda memorises the bits where people declare their LOOOVE like when Darcy did so and agh whenever I think about it... Yeah whenever I THINK about it it reminds me of how OBSESSED i am I'm so sorry for making you read this blaah
Original post by FilthyYouth
Mr Knightley > Mr Darcy. AND WHAT!

LOL

Prefer S&S to P&P actually. Not a big fan of Emma tbh. Read most her other stuff too though :biggrin:
Original post by MOOOSEH
pretty much the same w/ me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being obsessed with Jane Austen. :biggrin:
Austen was the first classic author I read. I've read everything but Northanger Abbey. Well excluding her short stories and unpublished stuff aswell.
She seems to take a bit of a bashing now and again because her books are read by so many people - and
often for the love story only. But she still writes beautifully and makes interesting comments on society!
Persuasion is my favourite, Wentworth is so lovely...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending