The Student Room Group

ANYBODY like Jane Austen? D:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MOOOSEH
It's incredible that there's not a society for it yet, if anyone want to join feel free :biggrin:
You can talk about all the shows about her work, films etc :biggrin:

It's called The Jane Austen Society P:

She is an over hyped writer, because she is a woman!
You people have no idea who the real great writers were.
Reply 41
i love her books! it's soo funny how she portrays some of her characters eg Mr collins and the priest guy in Emma! the bbc adaptations are just a bonus!!
Reply 42
Original post by .matrix
i love her books! it's soo funny how she portrays some of her characters eg Mr collins and the priest guy in Emma! the bbc adaptations are just a bonus!!

Mr Collins in the BBC version makes me feel ill :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by Stormyweather
Austen was the first classic author I read. I've read everything but Northanger Abbey. Well excluding her short stories and unpublished stuff aswell.
She seems to take a bit of a bashing now and again because her books are read by so many people - and
often for the love story only. But she still writes beautifully and makes interesting comments on society!
Persuasion is my favourite, Wentworth is so lovely...

Me too. she was the first one i read and i have read all but northanger abbey. There is something about it that just scares me for some reason. But i have read and watched all the others.

I don't think it is possible to ever get bored of her books. They are very engaging. I love jane austen.:smile:
Reply 44
I just bought Emma. I haven't read Austen before, so I thought I'd give her a go.
i love Jane Austen, reading Sense & Sensibility.
Original post by Annora
I just bought Emma.

Hope you like it. Some people hate Emma though, so I just thought I would mention that it's worth bearing in mind that her books are quite different. Pride and Prejudice, for example, has a completely different tone than Persuasion.

IMO, Emma is a great book though. Very funny in places too. :smile:
Reply 47
I love Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is definitely my favourite - her style of writing just seems so much more delicate but strong at the same time :/ The plot feels a lot more real as well...
Reply 48
I cannot remember the time when I did not love Jane; and my affection for her, as I grew up, was such, as, perhaps, judging from my present forlorn and cheerless gravity, you might think me incapable of having ever felt.
This fervent attachment was, for me, howbeit altogether longer in duration, as exquisitely painful as that to my dear de Bernieres.
But ! How blindly I relate ! I have not yet told you how this infatuation with the Hampshire Wordsmith was brought on.
I had been banished to the house of a relation far distant, and was allowed no liberty, no society, no amusement beyond access to Broad-Band. Young as I then was, a few months of this purgatory must have reconciled me to my fate, or at least I should not have now to lament it.
My relation had no regard for Augustan Romance, nay, was rarely seen to peruse any ink-smithery beyond the Mad Inconstancies of the News-of-the-World, a heinous rag from Fleet-Street.
The Strong impression upon my mind being at once so young, lively and inexperienced I must leave to the Reader to conjure.
Can the Reader wonder that, with such a limited choice of Entertainments, and without the company of friends of my own Age to divert me, I should have become devoted to this paragon of mirth, my onscreen Aeschylus, nay Primavera in the Pasture of my Green Age.
Reader I Downloaded Her.

Bear

:bear:
Reply 49
Original post by the bear
I cannot remember the time when I did not love Jane; and my affection for her, as I grew up, was such, as, perhaps, judging from my present forlorn and cheerless gravity, you might think me incapable of having ever felt.
This fervent attachment was, for me, howbeit altogether longer in duration, as exquisitely painful as that to my dear de Bernieres.
But ! How blindly I relate ! I have not yet told you how this infatuation with the Hampshire Wordsmith was brought on.
I had been banished to the house of a relation far distant, and was allowed no liberty, no society, no amusement beyond access to Broad-Band. Young as I then was, a few months of this purgatory must have reconciled me to my fate, or at least I should not have now to lament it.
My relation had no regard for Augustan Romance, nay, was rarely seen to peruse any ink-smithery beyond the Mad Inconstancies of the News-of-the-World, a heinous rag from Fleet-Street.
The Strong impression upon my mind being at once so young, lively and inexperienced I must leave to the Reader to conjure.
Can the Reader wonder that, with such a limited choice of Entertainments, and without the company of friends of my own Age to divert me, I should have become devoted to this paragon of mirth, my onscreen Aeschylus, nay Primavera in the Pasture of my Green Age.
Reader I Downloaded Her.

Bear

:bear:

Bronte parody, no?
Reply 50
Original post by Pandora.
Bronte parody, no?

Brontë Shmontë

:badger::bear::badger:
Reply 51
I've read Pride and Prejudice (many times!) and S&S - and have brought her other novels. I saw the BBC adaptation of Emma and loved it, can't wait to read it but doing A2s means I don't always have a lot of time!
Definitely love the BBC P&P, although the Kiera Knightly version is disappointing....
Still trying to persuade my boyfriend to sit down and watch P&P with me, though I think the length put him off a bit!
I love Jane Austen. I've read pretty much all of them, but I need to read Emma and Northanger Abbey again. My favourites are Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility, especially the latter. Isn't Keira Knightly amazing in the film of P&P??
genius
Original post by lifesgood:)
I love Jane Austen. I've read pretty much all of them, but I need to read Emma and Northanger Abbey again. My favourites are Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility, especially the latter. Isn't Keira Knightly amazing in the film of P&P??

no

the one with colin firth is better
Persuasion is a fantastic book, Sense & Sensibility is very good, the other four are alright.
Original post by MOOOSEH
It's incredible that there's not a society for it yet, if anyone want to join feel free :biggrin:
You can talk about all the shows about her work, films etc :biggrin:

It's called The Jane Austen Society P:

Literally love all her novels. :rolleyes:
Reply 57
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
no

the one with colin firth is better

definitely agree - Kiera ruined it. Colin Firth is just how Mr Darcy should look :biggrin:
i love jane austen :smile:
Reply 59
She's brilliant. Super witty and her work is definitely ahead of its time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending