The Student Room Group

ICT OCR GO64 23RD June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
any explanation on how cell phone works and how satellite phone works ?
Has anyone got a link to past papers cant find them anywhere
Reply 22
Original post by kingwaynerd
Has anyone got a link to past papers cant find them anywhere

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gce/ict_tec/ict/documents/index.html
Reply 23

The jan 2011 past paper isnt on there dammn :s Anyone else got it?
Reply 24
Original post by karanrauli
how satellite phone works ?

There are 2 ways of how satellite phones work.

There is:

Satellite phone A calls someone.
The signal goes up to the satellite, which sends the signal down to a base station.
The base station sends the signal to another satellite.
That satellite sends the signal down to satellite phone B.

the other way is:

Satellite A calls someone
The signal goes up to the satellite
The satellite sends the signal to satellite phone B.

Hope that helps. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Can anyone explain Management info systems and expert systems?
http://www.hartismere.com/Subjects/ICT/ALevelICT/Year13/Unit3G063/ExamPapers/6671
Here are all the past papers for ICT including Jan 2011. Good luck :smile:
Reply 27
Has anyone looked at the jan 2011 paper? it is so difficult compared to the other 2 i've done !
Reply 28
I got an E 50 UMS on that Jan Paper so I'm retaking this

Good news,obviously do not revise the questions asked on that paper OR thepast papers.

I havea feeling Celluar and Satellite phone questions might be asked since they have been negated for the WHOLE past exam papers and the board must cover the remaining uncovered topics.

I'm gonna pull an all nighter revision for this. To anyone taking this exam ( a resit for me personally) good luck, focus on structure and try as much as you can tonight to aplly what you revise in real business life(If you can, e.g. banks shops, tills etc)

Also does anyone have a topic tracker for this ICT?
Reply 29
Original post by Mr.AZ
I got an E 50 UMS on that Jan Paper so I'm retaking this

Good news,obviously do not revise the questions asked on that paper OR thepast papers.

I havea feeling Celluar and Satellite phone questions might be asked since they have been negated for the WHOLE past exam papers and the board must cover the remaining uncovered topics.

I'm gonna pull an all nighter revision for this. To anyone taking this exam ( a resit for me personally) good luck, focus on structure and try as much as you can tonight to aplly what you revise in real business life(If you can, e.g. banks shops, tills etc)

Also does anyone have a topic tracker for this ICT?

Do you have any other advice? I did one past paper I didnt find it too difficult, I am struggling with the cellular phone networks and satellite at the moment, I understand most of it but just need to look over it once again.

I find it difficult to answer the 11 markers and 9 also
I got a B in this in January, resitting for an A.

Best advice: if in doubt - blag!

ICT isn't marked very thoroughly, if you write something, even if it is irrelevant then you are usually gain at least some marks. NEVER, EVER LEAVE BLANKS

An example of this is on an advantages of fibre optic broadband question talking about data travelling at the speed of light. This was technically irrelevant to the question (actually it is only bandwidth that matters) but as a true Physics-based fact was granted a mark.

Also the examiners love context. Instead of answering "an advantage is that websites load quicker, meaning a more efficient use of the user's time", say something like "an advantage to the insurance firm is that websites load quicker, meaning that employees are more efficient and therefore more profitable to the company".

Also note that the A boundary was 45% raw marks - you can afford to get over half the paper wrong.

I'll be in isolation and sitting this in the afternoon as this exam clashes with my S3 Maths module. So best of luck everyone!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
So, how did everyone find the exam then?
It was hard I thought but managed to BS through the ones I didn't know. The last questions threw me :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Essay questions were easy
Forget me ... I did G063 not G064 *jumps to other thread*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by GuitarWizard
It was hard I thought but managed to BS through the ones I didn't know. The last questions threw me :frown:

Isn't G064 the coursework and 63 the exam?
Reply 36
This exam went kind of well for me, i missed out on the interactive tv systems or whatever it was with the disadvantages. I think one disadvantage could have been you can't switch channels whilst your interacting with the TV. Ahhh and for the diagrams i did it totally wrong ! So thats 8 marks gone and i need 84 for a B overall. I think i've got it !

The last 2 questions were pretty nice, i put holographic images and 3D could revolutionise the way we browse items etc, disadvantage is that theres a reduction in social interactions etc. I was kinda annoyed that a lot of the questions werent really specific if you know what i mean? I was expecting more specific questions like outlining cellular networks, network components and other stuff. Hope it went well for everyone else!
Reply 37
Original post by kwanzee
This exam went kind of well for me, i missed out on the interactive tv systems or whatever it was with the disadvantages. I think one disadvantage could have been you can't switch channels whilst your interacting with the TV. Ahhh and for the diagrams i did it totally wrong ! So thats 8 marks gone and i need 84 for a B overall. I think i've got it !

The last 2 questions were pretty nice, i put holographic images and 3D could revolutionise the way we browse items etc, disadvantage is that theres a reduction in social interactions etc. I was kinda annoyed that a lot of the questions werent really specific if you know what i mean? I was expecting more specific questions like outlining cellular networks, network components and other stuff. Hope it went well for everyone else!

That TV one was a daft one. What did everyone else put for it? I put that using the red button can distract you and you might miss parts of the TV programme and that pay per view can be expensive, paticularly for sporting events like boxing where the quality might not represent the price paid.... Second one was a bit of a silly point looking at it now :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending