The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Costs of living in first year?

I want to send off my application for accommodation, but I don't really know what I can afford because I'm not sure how much of my loan/grant/savings will be needed for other things. The website says you need about £9000 a year as an undergrad, but that isn't terribly helpful since it includes accommodation which ranges from about £2500 to nearly £6000. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much I should set aside, bearing in mind I tend to be quite good with money and not overspending.
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
I want to send off my application for accommodation, but I don't really know what I can afford because I'm not sure how much of my loan/grant/savings will be needed for other things. The website says you need about £9000 a year as an undergrad, but that isn't terribly helpful since it includes accommodation which ranges from about £2500 to nearly £6000. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much I should set aside, bearing in mind I tend to be quite good with money and not overspending.

Tuition fees are available as a loan so you don't need to worry about that until after you graduate :p:
Accommodation - average cost is between £3000 and £3500 - check The Warwick Accommodation Thread for more info on that. You can apply to the accommodation that is within your budget and avoid the expensive ones.

I wrote a bit about it here (in the expandable boxes at the bottom).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
after accomodation i spent 40-70 £ a week
Original post by KissMyArtichoke

The Warwick estimate of £9000 is crazy.

In my first year I spent £3200 on accommodation (£81 per week for 39 weeks), and £1200 on food. (£30 a week for 39 weeks). Anything extra for shopping, alcohol, parties, clothes etc is up to you.
Original post by screenager2004
The Warwick estimate of £9000 is crazy.

In my first year I spent £3200 on accommodation (£81 per week for 39 weeks), and £1200 on food. (£30 a week for 39 weeks). Anything extra for shopping, alcohol, parties, clothes etc is up to you.

Original post by goodtogallop
after accomodation i spent 40-70 £ a week

Original post by TheTallOne
Tuition fees are available as a loan so you don't need to worry about that until after you graduate :p:
Accommodation - average cost is between £3000 and £3500 - check The Warwick Accommodation Thread for more info on that. You can apply to the accommodation that is within your budget and avoid the expensive ones.

I wrote a bit about it here (in the expandable boxes at the bottom).

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I get the full grant (+the £1500 from the uni that goes with it), so it looks like I can afford most of the mid-range accommodation and have plenty left over.
Reply 5
Don't worry too much about money - I've never had more disposable cash than as a student. Of course, that might also be because I don't throw it all away on alcohol.
Reply 6
My budget after accommodation was about £90/week I think...I easily got through it all. I did go out a LOT in first year though, and that costs a fair bit, especially if you leave campus. It does depend on what you do though - I know people who lived on less than me easily enough, also people who lived on more and somehow kept running out of money.

Also I probably spent about an extra £500-600+ over the course of the year out of other monies on my sports (not included in my weekly budget) and shopping and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending