The Student Room Group

Student finance.. grrrr...

I was renewing my passport at the time, so decided to submit my application for student finance using my Birth certificate, and that declaration form that someone has to sign (e.g tutor).

Just got a letter saying :
Thank you for sending us your Birth/Adoption Certificate, in relation to your application for Student Finance. Unfortunately we are unable to process your application until we receive a completed Birth Certificate form to validate your certificate.
........[more waffle].........
Please return the form as soon as possible in the envelope provided

I sent the form off along with my birth certificate!!!!!!!! :angry:

Is there any email that I can use to correspond, or do i HAVE to phone? I can only use a mobile atm, so I hope it's not going to cost me lots if they put me on hold etc.... :/ So slightly odd question, but does it take long to get through?
Has anyone else had this issue? I'm quite annoyed as I sent it off before the deadline, and via recorded delivery too.... and it's taken them ages to process it, just to tell me that the extra form was not included, when it was.

Thanks for any advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by supernova92
I was renewing my passport at the time, so decided to submit my application for student finance using my Birth certificate, and that declaration form that someone has to sign (e.g tutor).

Just got a letter saying :

I sent the form off along with my birth certificate!!!!!!!! :angry:

Is there any email that I can use to correspond, or do i HAVE to phone? I can only use a mobile atm, so I hope it's not going to cost me lots if they put me on hold etc.... :/ So slightly odd question, but does it take long to get through?
Has anyone else had this issue? I'm quite annoyed as I sent it off before the deadline, and via recorded delivery too.... and it's taken them ages to process it, just to tell me that the extra form was not included, when it was.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm having a problem with my passport as I need it back SOON!
You can't email them, you need to call! And takes about 2 minutes just to get past them talking and telling you to press 1 if you want this and all that stuff & it's so difficult to hear them! UGH :angry:
You have to phone as no email address
and the complete birth certificate refers to the one that lists your parents details on so if you didn't send that then then will be waiting on that part being sent.
i got exactly the same thing
they sent me this form to complete
sent that off about a month ago and havent heard anything from them since
the website says they're still waiting for evidence
Reply 4
You sent them your actual birth certificate?

What a numpty. You officially do not exist now.
Reply 5
Perhaps the form wasn't completed correctly - who signed it? Did they put their work address? Did they put a landline telephone number? Did they definitely sign and date it? Perhaps these questions are answered in the 'waffle'

Depending on what time of day you call, you could be on hold for up to 30 mins.
Reply 6
Original post by jojospacemunky
You have to phone as no email address
and the complete birth certificate refers to the one that lists your parents details on so if you didn't send that then then will be waiting on that part being sent.

Hi, i did send the right birth certificate, they just want me to send the "form" again, which i had filled out already, and it was in the same envelope as my birth certificate..
Reply 7
OMGOD i'm deffo screwed! I need my passport by next week :frown: I've already booked my tickets! FRIGGIN HATE STUDENT FINANCE :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by missy22
Perhaps the form wasn't completed correctly - who signed it? Did they put their work address? Did they put a landline telephone number? Did they definitely sign and date it? Perhaps these questions are answered in the 'waffle'

Depending on what time of day you call, you could be on hold for up to 30 mins.

Thanks for the reply, I thought this at first it was completed correctly (I have a copy at home), by my form tutor, and included the work address and telephone number etc.
Lol, the "waffle" i just didnt want to type out, but it just said that, this form was important to verify my identity, and had to be completed etc

30 mins?! fml, it costs 40p a minute :/
Reply 9
Original post by Aack
You sent them your actual birth certificate?

What a numpty. You officially do not exist now.

You have to send them your actual birth certificate (assuming you don't send in a passport that is)..
Reply 10
Original post by zammie1603
I'm having a problem with my passport as I need it back SOON!
You can't email them, you need to call! And takes about 2 minutes just to get past them talking and telling you to press 1 if you want this and all that stuff & it's so difficult to hear them! UGH :angry:

That's pretty annoying especially as I'll be using a mobile... it's like 40p a minute for that sort of number!!
Can you not tell them, to just forget about the finance and to just send it via special delivery because you NEED it? and say how you can start the process again, and send it back, after you return?
Reply 11
Original post by hey_its_nay
i got exactly the same thing
they sent me this form to complete
sent that off about a month ago and havent heard anything from them since
the website says they're still waiting for evidence

Had you already filled out the form before though?
Reply 12
That's pretty annoying especially as I'll be using a mobile... it's like 40p a minute for that sort of number!!
Can you not tell them, to just forget about the finance and to just send it via special delivery because you NEED it? and say how you can start the process again, and send it back, after you return?

I just called them right now and they are frigging useless!
I spoke to one lady last week, and she said it would be here this week and still no sign of it. Spoke to one lady today, she said it could take 4-8 weeks so i got pissed off really bad and told her that i'd speak to someone else cause she kept saying 'the only thing i can do is apologise' and i was like 'you want to apologize and it's costing me 700pounds cause i've already booked my tickets' and she said all i can apologize and bla bla'. UGH they are sooo useless!!!!! & I need my passport!
Then I called again, and then this man spoke to me and said call tomorrow, then called again and this other woman said that their system has crashed!
I'm so pissed off it's unbelievable how irresponsible they are!

handy hint for you google saynoto0870 and choose search for alternative number and get the landline number (then call is included in your free minutes on a mobile phone)
you have to phone. and refuse to budge until they sort everything.

my SF for going into my 3rd year (abroad) took 13 phonecalls, 7 forms, and 3 letters to sort, and about 5 months. they are crap.

ring them and don't let them give you excuses, it's the only way!
Reply 15
Original post by CameraGirl

my SF for going into my 3rd year (abroad) took 13 phonecalls, 7 forms, and 3 letters to sort, and about 5 months. they are crap.

Wow. I had heard about student finance taking the piss, but I just thought it was usually down to the perosn, (e.g submitting things wrong etc.) but now im actually in this position, it's totally different haha!
Reply 16

You seem to know what you're talking about so could you please tell me what to do?
I need my passport by the 25th! I've been ringing them continuously for the past week and it's been up to no good :s-smilie:
Original post by zammie1603
You seem to know what you're talking about so could you please tell me what to do?
I need my passport by the 25th! I've been ringing them continuously for the past week and it's been up to no good :s-smilie:

in the end i was ready to rip their heads off, so i got my dad to ring up and tell them whats what. they are all stupid, you have to make sure they know exactly what the problem is, and basically TELL them what they are going to do about it. phone them up now, and ask to speak to the highest up person that you can, because it is extremely important and you are fedup with wasting your time on phonecalls where no progress is made and don't want this to be another one like that, this matter needs sorting out, and needs sorting now, and they have no right to hold your passport, they should have what they need from it by now, and you want it sent back tomorrow first thing, next/same day recorded post.

its best if you're with your parents at the time as well, as it means you can cop the phone off to the strictest one to sort them out if they won't listen to you.

other than that i can't really help as my problem was slightly different, but they do need telling clearly whats what and none of them ever seem to know whats going on, so highest person possible needs to be spoken to! that's the only time any of them were actually much help at all, when a manager was involved :tongue:

good luck!

(why is this worth neg rep? is there someone on here working for SF? if you are, then its your own problem ;P if not, i'm just giving my personal experience and advice, honest!)
(edited 12 years ago)
yeh, but no, but yeh, but no, but.....
in the end i was ready to rip their heads off, so i got my dad to ring up and tell them whats what. they are all stupid, you have to make sure they know exactly what the problem is, and basically TELL them what they are going to do about it. phone them up now, and ask to speak to the highest up person that you can, because it is extremely important and you are fedup with wasting your time on phonecalls where no progress is made and don't want this to be another one like that, this matter needs sorting out, and needs sorting now, and they have no right to hold your passport, they should have what they need from it by now, and you want it sent back tomorrow first thing, next/same day recorded post.

its best if you're with your parents at the time as well, as it means you can cop the phone off to the strictest one to sort them out if they won't listen to you.

other than that i can't really help as my problem was slightly different, but they do need telling clearly whats what and none of them ever seem to know whats going on, so highest person possible needs to be spoken to! that's the only time any of them were actually much help at all, when a manager was involved :tongue:

good luck!

(why is this worth neg rep? is there someone on here working for SF? if you are, then its your own problem ;P if not, i'm just giving my personal experience and advice, honest!)

I'm currently experiencing their massive incompetence. They're just refusing to give me the correct amount of funding for my year abroad despite it being an Erasmus approved scheme and me making it quite clear on numerous occasions that they have just misunderstood the situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending