The Student Room Group

AQA A-level English Literature B

Could anyone be kind enough to tell me how the course is structured and the way it spreads out over two years. I know that I will be studying 'The Great Gatsby' and 'The Kite Runner', which is great as I have already read both books. I also know that we will be studying poetry from Keats and Hardy and a few other poets and that we will be looking at 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller.

Also, could anyone tell how much coursework there is and what percentage that makes up for the final grade? :smile:
Reply 1
My english literature was like this...

AS - 20% Coursework
30% Exam based

A2 - 20% Coursework
- 30% Exam based

We did death of a salesman and had to do a recreational piece on it and a commentary to go with it. We also did Shakespeare's Othello and had to write a 1500-2000 word essay on it. :smile: I did great gatsby for my exam, wasn't too fussed on the book itself but it was only a short book and quite easy to write about :smile:
Reply 2
Hey! I did the exact course this year.

Coursework is worth 40% all together, so 20% for each. Exam worth 60% alltogether, so 30% for each.

But If you only want to do AS then
C/w = 40%
Exam =60%.

I did Great gatsby, auden (poetry), tennyson(poetry) and Enduring love for my exam texts.
Coursework was Death of a salesman and Othello.
Coursework is based on the genre tragedy, so it'll be good if you can do some research/get some books, and look it up. The examiners reports are really helpful, as they show what the weak candidates do and what the strong candidates do.
Urgh I really dunno how I did though in the exam, as it's subjective.
But I have an A in the coursework! Work reaaaaaally hard for the coursework! It'll be less pressure for the exam!

Quick Reply