The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin Literature

How are the lads getting on with this? Have you memorised all of the passages (and notes to go with it)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
howdy

I can translate the prose line by line, so have learned it pretty thoroughly, but Im a tad clueless when it comes to interesting stylistic features, word choices, and all the stuff we need to write about in the 10 markers :/
Also dont thoroughly understand the background of Germanicus and Piso and Clodia

Hmm, what do you mean by notes?
Reply 2
by notes I mean the 10 marker questions. Not really sure about them, but hoping that i can blag my way through and hopefully pick up a decent amount of marks
Reply 3
Original post by chandler94
by notes I mean the 10 marker questions. Not really sure about them, but hoping that i can blag my way through and hopefully pick up a decent amount of marks

ah, yeah same :L
There doesn't seem to be much to say for the prose!? Alliteration, elision, I guess.. but what is unusual word order?:L Sooo confusing, it's one thing knowing the texts but another actually saying decent stuff in the exam :/
Reply 4
yeah, plus the translation is only worth 5 marks. I'm struggling to organise my time between learning the texts and learning the information on them...

PS: do you mean a chiasmus or just placing an emphatic word at the end of the sentence?
Reply 5
yeah, plus the translation is only worth 5 marks. I'm struggling to organise my time between learning the texts and learning the information on them...

PS: do you mean a chiasmus or just placing an emphatic word at the end of the sentence?

'information on them' - what informtion is this? I don't really have any background stuff to revise :s-smilie:

Ermm well my teacher just said to dsicuss itneresting stuff, he mentioned a chiasmus once, isn't that where the words are sort of crossed over within the sentence? I just don't get how that makes the sentence any more emotive if I'm honest :L

So aside from the hard translation and knowing what each word means, waht else are you learning?
Reply 6
Well obviously we have been taught in different ways... when we went through the passages we wrote down observations underneath to memorise.

yeah I think that's it but I plan to just spew out some bull**** and fool the examiner

not learning much else (apart from verse - virgil).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Well obviously we have been taught in different ways... when we went through the passages we wrote down observations underneath to memorise.

yeah I think that's it but I plan to just spew out some bull**** and fool the examiner

not learning much else (apart from verse - virgil).

Cheer up, at least we're not in state schools :dance:

Ahaha, love the last comment xD Sooo true :smile:

yeah I guess so, well I dont really have any notes underneath lines of the texts. Do you have many notes? I can spot alliteration and elision I suppose, chiasmus occasionally, it's just so hard to know what to say :frown: what else is there, especially for the prose? :O thinking about it I really don't know much interesting literary stuff about the texts other than being able to understand the texts themselves :/

any tips would be hugely appreciated :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by EllHv1
ah, yeah same :L
There doesn't seem to be much to say for the prose!? Alliteration, elision, I guess.. but what is unusual word order?:L Sooo confusing, it's one thing knowing the texts but another actually saying decent stuff in the exam :/

Generally the verb comes at the end of the sentence so if it's not you might be able to make some significance up about that! And generally the first and last word of a lines and sentences are emphasised so again possibly you could get something from that :biggrin:
Reply 9
Oh and I do go to a state school :wink:
Reply 10
awkward. I actually deleted that comment lol
Reply 11
Haha I'll forgive your private school banter :P
Reply 12
awkward. I actually deleted that comment lol

Sorry man :P

Original post by --lauren--
Haha I'll forgive your private school banter :P

ahhhh it's just a joke, I'm not really an arrgonat stuck-up prat, I'm sure chandler94's not either :L it is just silly banter yeah :P Thanks for forgiving us :P
Have you seen the 'you know when you've been at a grammar too long...' group on FB - some people on there take the banter too seriously :L

Lauren, thanks for the advice about the verb being normally at the end, that makes sense, will use that! thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by EllHv1
ahhhh it's just a joke, I'm not really an arrgonat stuck-up prat, I'm sure chandler94's not either :L it is just silly banter yeah :P Thanks for forgiving us :P
Have you seen the 'you know when you've been at a grammar too long...' group on FB - some people on there take the benter too seriously :L

Lauren, thanks for the advice about the verb being normally at the end, that makes sense, will use that! thanks :smile:

Not sure I've seen that one but I have seen the "grammar school kids aren't arrogant, they're genuinely better than you" one and I do go to a grammar school...but fear not I haven't liked it :wink: Although I did look at it and on that one people were taking it way too seriously as well which was rather amusing :biggrin: And glad to help :smile: Hoping that I'll just be able to ramble on about meanings of the text that could be legitimate...can't help but think Virgil was not thinking of the majority of things that people say he was in literature exams :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by --lauren--
Not sure I've seen that one but I have seen the "grammar school kids aren't arrogant, they're genuinely better than you" one and I do go to a grammar school...but fear not I haven't liked it :wink: Although I did look at it and on that one people were taking it way too seriously as well which was rather amusing :biggrin: And glad to help :smile: Hoping that I'll just be able to ramble on about meanings of the text that could be legitimate...can't help but think Virgil was not thinking of the majority of things that people say he was in literature exams :rolleyes:

aha :P

omg I know, english lit and latin seem to make far too much over little things, I highly doubt Tacitus wrote what he wrote for all these special fancy reasons :L

Looking through past tests now and I think I have a decent idea now of what to put :smile: Good luck to everyone sitting this exam! I really wish we could snatch 20 mins off the lang paper and whack it on to this one, as the literature is soo pushed for time :'(
Reply 15
Yep, good luck mate. Praying that Pythius will come up because I love that story :wink:
Reply 16
Yep, good luck mate. Praying that Pythius will come up because I love that story :wink:

And to you :biggrin:

Yeah same, I like it as it's ncie and easy to follow, and mildly more entertaining :smile:
latin is such a joy..........
that said, think I'm going to miss it next year (in a very weird way :O )
Reply 17
I love pythius.....
Anyhoo, anyone have any notes they could share.. eg. st
Yep, good luck mate. Praying that Pythius will come up because I love that story
ylistic notes ?
Reply 18
Pythius notes here
Reply 19
Pythius notes here

these are really useful, do you have any notes on the other texts also?

many thanks :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending