The Student Room Group

What's so good about the Macbook Pro?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by InjudiciouslyGreat
Two great computers?

Anyway, as for the malware side of things, Macs don't get viruses at all. There are some trojans out there incorrectly dubbed viruses, such as 'Mac Defender'. The key difference is in the name a trojan is something you have to let in - usually meaning entering your password for rogue software, whereas a virus can get in completely below the radar. Another way to allow a trojan is to leave things open, Mac Defender can get in through default Safari settings that automatically prepares any 'safe downloads'.

The above shouldn't be of a great deal of concern to a buyer now: Windows 7 is much more secure and viruses are far less effective than techniques such as phishing and indeed trojans (a problem on all formats) which all count on duping the user, not the computer.

OS X is a very stable OS, but so is Windows 7. The base prices for Macs are high, but spec for spec there is little difference between Macs and quality PC makers. Increasingly Macs are becoming desirable, so you may well be admired for owning one in some circles. Macs are excellent in the creative environment, while Windows 7 is merely good.

Really you just have to look at the features and compare them to various other laptops, though it is common to see Macs interpreted as on a bit of a pedestal, lol.

I chose two great computers on purpose. I posted the pictures to show the visual difference between a great Mac and a great PC.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by z0tx
I chose two great computers on purpose. I posted the pictures to show the visual difference.

Ah, yeah I overlooked the obvious.
Reply 22
I used Windows all of my life up until around May this year and I would safely say I'd never go back, if I had to choose (because I keep my old computer for gaming).

Everything operates so much faster and smoother, there's no random crashing of applications, or applications taking 5 minutes to open, etc. Also my old Windows Laptop used to have around 3-4 hours of battery (at a stretch) so I could never manage a full uni day without having to go to somewhere on campus to charge it, with the MacBook Pro the battery lasts for around 7-8 hours when just doing Uni work, so it lasts the whole day.

The only thing like I mentioned earlier, is that it's not amazing for gaming, and obviously many games don't have Mac compatibility, but I have my computer for that and my Pro for Uni work, so it all works out.
Reply 23
Original post by Nutini
I used Windows all of my life up until around May this year and I would safely say I'd never go back, if I had to choose (because I keep my old computer for gaming).

Everything operates so much faster and smoother, there's no random crashing of applications, or applications taking 5 minutes to open, etc. Also my old Windows Laptop used to have around 3-4 hours of battery (at a stretch) so I could never manage a full uni day without having to go to somewhere on campus to charge it, with the MacBook Pro the battery lasts for around 7-8 hours when just doing Uni work, so it lasts the whole day.

The only thing like I mentioned earlier, is that it's not amazing for gaming, and obviously many games don't have Mac compatibility, but I have my computer for that and my Pro for Uni work, so it all works out.

To be fair gradually gaming will be on mac quite somewhat on the same levels as windows (see steam :wink:).
I use a mac and I find it just fine. PCs are just fine as well. In fact, I'd much rather buy a PC because I can get a better machine(on the insides) for less money.

But when it comes down to it, the mac OS beats Windows hands down and thats the only reason why I spent so much more money on this 15" MacBook Pro.
Reply 25
Original post by marek35
To be fair gradually gaming will be on mac quite somewhat on the same levels as windows (see steam :wink:).

Yeah I do use Steam actually :biggrin: The best thing (which I didn't know before) is that some Windows games come with Mac compatibility as well but I'd say only about 20% of my game library has that feature, I'm sure it'll all improve with time though, but like I said I have my computer with Windows anyway so it doesn't matter too much right now :P
Reply 26
Original post by Nutini
Yeah I do use Steam actually :biggrin: The best thing (which I didn't know before) is that some Windows games come with Mac compatibility as well but I'd say only about 20% of my game library has that feature, I'm sure it'll all improve with time though, but like I said I have my computer with Windows anyway so it doesn't matter too much right now :P

:wink:
Original post by Blutarsky

Original post by Blutarsky
I'm starting training for the Navy in September and I need a laptop to take with me. I've had bad experiences with cheaper laptops, so I wanted to spend a good amount of money on one which will last me more than 6 months.

I've heard about Macbooks etc. but I've never quite understood what is so good about them! I'm not great with computers, so could anyone clarify as to why they're considered to be so good? :p:

For the average user, many people will tell you to get a Windows computer. Going into it I think you have to know where you are as a user, what you want from your computer, and what's going to be required of you overall.

If you aren't doing anything "important", a windows computer will do you just fine. The advantages of a MacBook is an amazing build quality, a stable, fast, fully customizable OS, and an overall BETTER experience. Now the last part is subjective but ultimately the most important.

As a college student, I had worked with windows computers all up until earlier this year when I got a used MacBook. Everything changed. Aside from the amazing and unmatched build quality (EVERY windows laptop I have used just doesn't feel as great and I have used a TON of high end ones), amazing battery life (really THE best in the industry for consumer level laptops), and the OS FEELS like it was made for you to use.

You have to realize that Apple created the OS and the hardware to work with each other. Windows on the other hand was made to fit a plethora of differnet computers, no matter what they looked like or the specs. OS X was made for machines that fit a tight window and all were built the "same". Key commands feel right because they placed the keys in that particular order. Moving between spaces and using expose is awesome. The spacious trackpad makes you WANT to use it; I have never used a mouse with the MB because I just love the trackpad on it.

If you can, drop by an Apple store or wherever they have them and try them out. It's one of those things that, depending on who you are and your fluency with computers, you won't really know how much you love it until you use it for a week. I was the same way. Now I'm hooked and I am never going back to a Windows computer.

Of course you also don't have viruses/malware and your computer doesn't slow down year over year. There are a plethora of people out there who have old MBs and stuff (myself included) from early 2000s. Mine is an 08 with upgraded internals (4gb RAM, upgraded HDD) and it "just" as fast as the new ones released. 4 hour battery and never crashes. That's saying something.

You can PM me if you want anymore information, I have my MB and other Windows 7 laptops scattered around the house and I can give you any and all information I have :smile:

Oh and before I forget, you can also install Windows Xp,7,Vista, whatever as a bootcamp partition and run the actual OS alongside OS X. I use Parallels that allows me to run OSs themselves as a program. I'm actually using Windows 7 ON the mac to type this. If you have any OS centric programs you have to use you can run practically ANY OS you want. It really is amazing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by limetang
Short answer. They're very simple to use and are quite reliable (if a tad overpriced).

I've never understood this. How brain dead retarded do you have to be to actually find Windows 7 harder to use than OS X. :s-smilie:
beautiful laptop, runs like a dream, OS X/all programs are so simple to use and intuitive compared to Windows. and yeah I'm typing on one now.
Had mine since March, would never go back,

Some reasons why: Had no system crashes, applications rarely lock up, Trackpad size and gestures, OSX, Illuminated Keyboard, Battery life, Weight,MagSafe, App Store, Microsoft office , BootCamp, iPhoto/iWeb/iMovie,3 Years warranty on HE Store, Onlive , Nearly every program has some sort of alternative on mac, OSX Lion in July.

On the 13" 2011 game's like Portal 2, L4D, HL2, Starcraft, WoW Run at Med-High settings, The graphics aren't far behind the 2010 model,
In Windows (BootCamp) though if I try to play games, the temperature goes to 95-100 Deg C
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by RedGuy
I've never understood this. How brain dead retarded do you have to be to actually find Windows 7 harder to use than OS X. :s-smilie:

No windows 7 is not hard to use. That said I think so many people found windows vista such a ****ing pain that to use that OSX was a welcome break from it.
Reply 32
Am I the only one who thinks that thinkpads are really beautiful computers?
They're just so much easier to use, and simple things like the trackpad on the macbook are so much better than on any other laptop! So just navigating is easier! They do cost more and you can get a laptop at a better spec for cheaper i am aware of that, but if you look at the average time someone with a macbook compared to anything else actually keeps it an uses it, it just shows how it does last longer so the money spent over time evens out really if you were doing money per year of usage. If you want something more reliable and easier to use i'd definitely get one unless you have any really specific requirements you want from a PC
Reply 34
Original post by InjudiciouslyGreat
Two great computers?

Anyway, as for the malware side of things, Macs don't get viruses at all. There are some trojans out there incorrectly dubbed viruses, such as 'Mac Defender'. The key difference is in the name a trojan is something you have to let in - usually meaning entering your password for rogue software, whereas a virus can get in completely below the radar. Another way to allow a trojan is to leave things open, Mac Defender can get in through default Safari settings that automatically prepares any 'safe downloads'.

The above shouldn't be of a great deal of concern to a buyer now: Windows 7 is much more secure and viruses are far less effective than techniques such as phishing and indeed trojans (a problem on all formats) which all count on duping the user, not the computer.

OS X is a very stable OS, but so is Windows 7. The base prices for Macs are high, but spec for spec there is little difference between Macs and quality PC makers. Increasingly Macs are becoming desirable, so you may well be admired for owning one in some circles. Macs are excellent in the creative environment, while Windows 7 is merely good.

Really you just have to look at the features and compare them to various other laptops, though it is common to see Macs interpreted as on a bit of a pedestal, lol.

I like macs don't get me wrong, but the whole difference between price for the same specs thing. I can get a Dell with better specs than the base macbook pro for £400 less.
Original post by marek35

ermm.

When people are talking about reliability, viruses, malware problems, BSODs, it's only an issue if you're thick and don't treat a computer how you should. They will both last as long as each other is treated the same, simple as. Don't be a d*ckhead and you won't get problems. Mac users will always bring up the no viruses thing, but viruses are such a small part of the problems a computer can have. Apple the new world leader in software insecurity. If you're using it for the portability, long battery life, like at Uni and whatnot then Macs are good for you yeah, but be prepared to be grossly overpriced.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've had my MacBook Pro two years now and it's still running the same as when I got it. It is sooo much nicer than Windows. Although, the last version of Windows I used was Vista, I have half tried 7 but I gave up when I found you can't change the desktop background in Starter (seriously... wtf?).
Only problem I had with it was that it refused to register mouse clicks (from any method or device), took it to Apple, about a month out of warrenty, and they said that it could be a logic board issue, so that'll need replacing... oh and it may have damaged your hard drive too. It'll be expensive so we'll do it for free for you. I love their customer support!
Unless you are wanting to play games, there isn't any issue with lack of software anymore, you just have to look a little harder occasionally. There is always BootCamp if not :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by TheSingingMute
ermm.

When people are talking about reliability, viruses, malware problems, BSODs, it's only an issue if you're thick and don't treat a computer how you should. They will both last as long as each other is treated the same, simple as. Don't be a d*ckhead and you won't get problems. Mac users will always bring up the no viruses thing, but viruses are such a small part of the problems a computer can have. Apple the new world leader in software insecurity. If you're using it for the portability, long battery life, like at Uni and whatnot then Macs are good for you yeah, but be prepared to be grossly overpriced.

Not sure why you quoted my post.

I'm not with the whole viruses argument either, but Mac has definitely been more reliable in my own experiences. I still use windows but only really for gaming.
Original post by marek35
Not sure why you quoted my post.

I'm not with the whole viruses argument either, but Mac has definitely been more reliable in my own experiences. I still use windows but only really for gaming.

Ye sorry I meant to separate the "ermm", intended for you, from the other stuff.
Reply 39
Better peformance full stop.

You can argue about the price and getting a cheaper windows pc with better specs, but you have to remember all the additional things you have to get with a windows pc like an anti virus software as well as updating the operating system every couple of years.

If you have the money i would go for mac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending