The Student Room Group

IB versus A level

i got admission to both really good schools n equally like all the subject chosen...but cant choose which one to go to?
Reply 1
I've heard that IB is better, but I'm not sure!
it's simple.

If you want to go to Uni in the UK, take A Level (because UK unis don't differentiate between the two, and IB is twice as hard as A Level)
If you want to go to Uni in the US, take IB (because it gives you 0.5 extra GPA out of a maximum 4.0)

If you want to go to Uni elsewhere, what school you went to for Sixth Form and your combination of subjects matters more than the degree, if at all
Reply 3
I would suggest A-Levels for the UK because they're much easier to score in overall. Also you can get rid of pesky subjects you rather avoid which is impossible in the IB because it has certain compulsory requirements.

Insofar as the US is concerned, I dunno about the GPA advantage because such GPAs are ultimately deflated by the US Unis as far as I know. But I do know that they can appreciate an IB curriculum a lot more because its far more balanced, students have to take a wide variety of subjects (English, Maths, one social science, a second language, and one science are mandatory at some level); whereas A-Levels have the ability to be very, very imbalanced if taken with a specific course in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending