The Student Room Group

Worth it to get a laptop lock?

I'm getting a new Macbook Pro before I go to uni (2012)... Many people have suggested getting a lock for a laptop to prevent theft. Is this really a concern? I'm going to some of the better universities in the country... are there really students who would steal a laptop from a room?

Would it be more safety-conscious to lock the door every time, purchase a laptop lock, just bring the laptop everywhere, or to hide the laptop away?

Scroll to see replies

As in a lock which keeps the laptop shut, or just firmly attached to something so it can't be moved?
Reply 2
A Kensington lock. So the latter.
Reply 3
Original post by punctuation
I'm getting a new Macbook Pro before I go to uni (2012)... Many people have suggested getting a lock for a laptop to prevent theft. Is this really a concern? I'm going to some of the better universities in the country... are there really students who would steal a laptop from a room?

Would it be more safety-conscious to lock the door every time, purchase a laptop lock, just bring the laptop everywhere, or to hide the laptop away?

I think it's worth it just for peace of mind - I'm at Cambridge and yet we've still had emails warning us about recent thefts from rooms!

Here - job done! :top:
Reply 4
Original post by Tortious
I think it's worth it just for peace of mind - I'm at Cambridge and yet we've still had emails warning us about recent thefts from rooms!

Here - job done! :top:

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
Reply 5

Thefts occur in all universities and campuses.

You should lock your door (10 seconds?). You'll almost certainly be told to to do this at all times, even at night (just to prevent drunks barging in by accident, or just people feeling mischievous).

If it's going to stay on your desk then you might as well use a Kensington lock. It might not be easy finding something to tie it to though. They don't cost much.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Phorcys
Thefts occur in all universities and campuses.

You should lock your door (10 seconds?). You'll almost certainly be told to to do this at all times, even at night (just to prevent drunks barging in by accident, or just people feeling mischievous).

If it's going to stay on your desk then you might as well use a Kensington lock. It might not be easy finding something to tie it to though. They don't cost much.

Should I lock my other stuff too? (e.g. suitcase, which would hold my passport and other important things) Basically should I just lock everything when I'm not in the room?

Where should I keep my money, if not on my person? If I have extra, should I just bring it with me?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 7
Should I lock my other stuff too? (e.g. suitcase, which would hold my passport and other important things) Basically should I just lock everything when I'm not in the room?

Where should I keep my money, if not on my person? If I have extra, should I just bring it with me?

Dont see why not. Wont cost much for that extra piece of mind. But as others suggested just keep the door locked.
Reply 8
Original post by marek35
Dont see why not. Wont cost much for that extra piece of mind. But as others suggested just keep the door locked.

What about my flatmate(s), should I still lock my things if they're in the room but I'm away?
Reply 9

Just lock your door when you're not in the room (and when you're sleeping or in the shower)!

You need to remember that a person who steals your laptop from your room will be aware that you've left. At the same time, you can't become paranoid about all your neighbours.

I'm sure advice threads on here and checklists would have you bring a valuables box for your passport etc., but a thief would just take the box.

By the way, you can buy a security tracking service for your laptop, and some are free. Apple will probably extend the location tracking service to Macbooks soon as well.

Just keep an eye on things basically, don't leave them unattended, and don't be naive.
Reply 10
Original post by Phorcys
Just lock your door when you're not in the room (and when you're sleeping or in the shower)!

You need to remember that a person who steals your laptop from your room will be aware that you've left. At the same time, you can't become paranoid about all your neighbours.

I'm sure advice threads on here and checklists would have you bring a valuables box for your passport etc., but a thief would just take the box.

By the way, you can buy a security tracking service for your laptop, and some are free. Apple will probably extend the location tracking service to Macbooks soon as well.

Just keep an eye on things basically, don't leave them unattended, and don't be naive.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I have that 'Find my Phone' app already... Hope they do extend it to macbooks before I get to uni. :smile:
Reply 11
What about my flatmate(s), should I still lock my things if they're in the room but I'm away?

As in sharing a room? There has to be some trust! As long as they also lock the door when you're both away, you should be alright (or you'll know they've robbed you...).
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I have that 'Find my Phone' app already... Hope they do extend it to macbooks before I get to uni. :smile:

You sound like you're worrying too much, to be honest.

Yes, people have things stolen from their room, but it's usually because they've been stupid or naive. It's sad, but it's also hard to sympathise with them, because it's not like they haven't been warned.

Somene in my building had their laptop stolen a while ago. It turns out that it was stolen while the room was open for a period of more than two hours. That's stupid. The person also lost all their work because it wasn't backed up. That's pretty stupid too.

Also, insurance (it might be included if you're living in university accommodation) won't help if you leave your door unlocked.
I suggest you also disguise it. Stick a moustache on it, and instantly thieves will not notice the now camoflauged Macbook.
Reply 14
Original post by MissClumsy
I suggest you also disguise it. Stick a moustache on it, and instantly thieves will not notice the now camoflauged Macbook.

Good idea!
Reply 15
I think I'd probably put it away before going out, like in a drawer on in its case out of sight of the window. And you should probably lock your door anyway :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Gaaabs XD
I think I'd probably put it away before going out, like in a drawer on in its case out of sight of the window. And you should probably lock your door anyway :s-smilie:

That's what I was thinking. I'd rather just tuck it away all the time than have it in plain view with a lock... if people can't see it, they hopefully won't know to steal it.
Reply 17
Personally I would get a Kensington Lock. It's not thief proof but it'll certainly make it less appealing if there is a risk of getting caught trying to steal it. I was probably the only one in my uni library that I ever saw that kensington locked my laptop to the table. I could walk off worry free. The amount of times I'd seen people just walk off leaving their laptop unsecured asking some randomer opposite to "watch" their laptop

Well think of it this way. You're living with another (or more?) people in a closed environment. This means that if they wanted, they have access to your room. You might not steal and you might be lucky enough to have roommates that are the same HOWEVER they might have friends that think differently.

I was close to my roommate so he made sure his friends didn't mess with my stuff so i didn't have any instances.

As for money? Debit card. Get that, have your parents funnel money into that. I would walk around with a wallet filled with max 10 bucks cash for coffee or whatever, a debit card (to use at the ATMs on campus if I needed cash), my license, and school ID. No problems and no worries.

As for my stuff I didn't really have anything expensive aside from my MacBook so anything else just sat out. As others have said, lock your room EVERY TIME you leave it. I got lazy and started going to the bathroom and whatnot (right down the hall) and left my room open. I got lucky and nobody went into my room BUT it only takes 6 seconds to enter, grab a laptop/tv/phone, and get out and down the hall. Do NOT take chances.

That's what I was thinking. I'd rather just tuck it away all the time than have it in plain view with a lock... if people can't see it, they hopefully won't know to steal it.

If you have a desk with a sliding keyboard, put the laptop in that and push it closes + put the chair in front. People are less likely to snoop if there are people there but it's very tempting for some when they see a nice laptop or phone just laying out. People in college forget who they are due to the lack of parental supervision and do stupid things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending