The Student Room Group
Reply 1
PhDs don't tend to have time tables as such. You research your ass off for almost every hour of everyday, and if you're lucky you end up with a decent thesis and pass your viva...

My standard day was 7am-10pm Monday to Friday and then 12pm-6pm on a Saturday or Sunday (and both some weeks).
Reply 2
Fluffy
PhDs don't tend to have time tables as such. You research your ass off for almost every hour of everyday, and if you're lucky you end up with a decent thesis and pass your viva...

My standard day was 7am-10pm Monday to Friday and then 12pm-6pm on a Saturday or Sunday (and both some weeks).

Really!, god what a total nightmare!
Was that including a work placement?
And can you get onto a phd after you graduate in the same year?
Reply 3
Placement? It's a PhD!!!

I started my PhD (D.Phil) the same year as graduating from my BSc...
Fluffy

How long did you keep that up for???
Reply 5
Fluffy
Placement? It's a PhD!!!

I started my PhD (D.Phil) the same year as graduatin

so, did you get a work placement? my mate got placement 3 days a week.
Reply 6
I don't know what you're talking about palcement for? If you PhD has some vocational aspect them may be you need one, I don't know...

Certainly, ordinarily a PhD is a research qualification - be it of the literature or wet science...

Martyn - for most of my D.Phil - you get out what you put in...
I don't know what you're talking about palcement for? If you PhD has some vocational aspect them may be you need one, I don't know.

If you have an industrial CASE award, you spend a few months working (on your own research) in your sponsor's labs. I'm not sure if there's anything similar for psychology and the like, but the EPSRC and BBSRC are certainly keen on them.

As for >80 hour work weeks, it's certainly not unheard-of, particularly in the big pressure-cooker groups. Spending 80-odd hours a week in total on your PhD is easy enough, if you include time spent keeping up to speed with recent publications, working out new ideas, keeping the lab book up to date, etc. along with the time spent in the lab. That said, you do get some people who spend that much time in the lab, which is (IMO) unhealthy and inefficient.
Reply 8
jonnyofthedead
If you have an industrial CASE award, you spend a few months working (on your own research) in your sponsor's labs. I'm not sure if there's anything similar for psychology and the like, but the EPSRC and BBSRC are certainly keen on them.

That's not really a 'placement' as such though - you are still working on your research area/thesis, gatheting data...

A lot of my friends in College who were doing Chem and Materials D.Phils had CASE awards, and they were just doing their research in a different lab for a few months...

--------------

jonnyofthedead

That said, you do get some people who spend that much time in the lab, which is (IMO) unhealthy and inefficient.

Not when you're working to a 14 hour protocol from start to finish... :frown: Labs are creepy at night!

Latest

Trending

Trending