The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - taking a stance

Scroll to see replies

Yes DO include personal opinion. But you have to be a bit clever about how you do so to avoid sitting on the fence or saying something as if you know what you're talking about (vs the head of department). The way to do it is to say something quite sophisticated while acknowledging that you can't really know without actually studying the subject and demonstrating curiosity about the whole thing.

Here's an example template:

[Topic] is a topic that has always fascinated me. [Intersting point], as described in [book], challenged my perceptions of [whatever]. It is apparent to me that [...], although [person's] work on [subject], which suggests [explanation], has moderated my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Sports Racer
Yes DO include personal opinion. But you have to be a bit clever about how you do so. The way to do is to say something quite sophisticated while acknowledging that you can't really know without actually studying the subject and demonstrating curiosity about the whole thing.

Here's an example template:

[Topic] is a topic that has always fascinated me. [Intersting point], as described in [book], challenged my perceptions of [whatever]. It is apparent to me that [...], although [person's] work on [subject], which suggests [explanation], has moderated my opinion.

Thanks! Haha, wow... there's even a template for this sort of thing. :wink:
Original post by punctuation
Thanks! Haha, wow... there's even a template for this sort of thing. :wink:

I made that template up just now. It should illustrate what I mean. It demonstrates personal insight and a level of academic sophistication that 99% of other candidates simply won't have. It'll be a breath of fresh air for the admissions tutor.
Reply 23
Original post by Sports Racer
I made that template up just now. It should illustrate what I mean. It demonstrates personal insight and a level of academic sophistication that 99% of other candidates simply won't have. It'll be a breath of fresh air for the admissions tutor.

I know, haha. Anyway, thanks for your help. I understand now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending