The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zjs
There are quite a few of them! :holmes:

Peacocks are beautiful, glossy, birds so I'd say they're a good choice. There's also things like birds of paradise, which have the same colours and long tails, beautiful plumage etc, except they're a bit more 'unique'.

I'm not sure I could face that long under the needle though. I'm not currently set enough on anything to actually get one, because it'd be a case of looking for something - and I know I'd change my mind at a later point if I did that. :sad: I love the way they look on girls (:coma:), and I appreciate that a lot of guy's tattoos look good, but I'm not even sure if I'd suit one. :beard:

Yeah, I love the colouring used on peacocks in tattoos :smile: thanks for the birds of paradise idea, hadn't thought about them! I also really like sparrows, hummingbirds and owls haha, all so different. Doubt it'll be for another year or so until I actually decide, knowing me :tongue:

I honestly was bricking it so much that I asked if it was possible (beforehand) if they could stop at any given moment and continue with it another day, but they said the outline had to be finished in one sitting, much to my prior dismay :') but it really wasn't unbearable, unless you're incredibly skinny, it's very unlikely to hurt you much at all, although it also depends where you get it. I'm mate's with a guy who is literally a stick, and has tattoos on his wrists/neck/shoulderblades and the poor lad hated every minute of it, but loves his tattoos.
I'm sure you would suit them, guys with good tattoos are hot :sexface:
Although I'm not trying to talk you into getting one haha, just realised how much I'm trying to justify your worries ha. :smile:
I get what you mean about indecisiveness, although I was pretty set on some kind of gypsy/rose tattoo since I was about 14 I think, so hopefully I won't live to regret it, the quote references something extremely personal to me as well; that said, if I do regret it in many years to come, I shall just look upon it fondly, remember my youth and know that at one point in my life if was exactly what I wanted :smile:

Gosh I'm babbling ahaha, sorry! :tongue:
Reply 1061
Original post by JWH
I actually see who I right my material as a much more ranty version of russell howard :laugh: I know some of it's stereo typical which is what I am working on. With posts it is difficult to be random without it going completely off topic and turning into a few thousand words rather than a quick post. Plus there is the fact the two posts I have mad so far is much more of my older stuff which needs refining which is why I posted them. The best way to improve stuff you now needs improving is getting other people's opinions on it :smile:. And finally my final problem is always write as if aiming at a audience rather than a web post the blog thing was just a idea so I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few thing people would like when I told them wouldn't be liked in the post and vice versa.

Well, the problem is that you're not really coming up with anything new. If you want to be a more ranty Russell Howard, that's fine, but you need to study his style and emulate that to some extent. The way he talks about childhood experiences in an amusing way, with funny voices and the like, is what needs to come across in your comedy. I understand that some things are hard to convey in writing compared to when they're spoken, but the problem is that the material you've got in that most recent post wouldn't translate well to being spoken, either.

If you want to use stereotypical jokes, that's fine, but you need a new way of presenting them; some new angle or insight. If all you're doing is presenting the same stereotypical jokes in a random fashion, I don't think you'll be all that successful. Delivering these jokes in a funny way will help, but before you can do that you really need to focus on working the jokes into stories/monologues so that they're presented better than a jumble of jokes.
Reply 1062
Where can you find good tattoo designers??

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1063
Original post by ironandwine
Yeah, I love the colouring used on peacocks in tattoos :smile: thanks for the birds of paradise idea, hadn't thought about them! I also really like sparrows, hummingbirds and owls haha, all so different. Doubt it'll be for another year or so until I actually decide, knowing me :tongue:

I honestly was bricking it so much that I asked if it was possible (beforehand) if they could stop at any given moment and continue with it another day, but they said the outline had to be finished in one sitting, much to my prior dismay :') but it really wasn't unbearable, unless you're incredibly skinny, it's very unlikely to hurt you much at all, although it also depends where you get it. I'm mate's with a guy who is literally a stick, and has tattoos on his wrists/neck/shoulderblades and the poor lad hated every minute of it, but loves his tattoos.
I'm sure you would suit them, guys with good tattoos are hot :sexface:
Although I'm not trying to talk you into getting one haha, just realised how much I'm trying to justify your worries ha. :smile:
I get what you mean about indecisiveness, although I was pretty set on some kind of gypsy/rose tattoo since I was about 14 I think, so hopefully I won't live to regret it, the quote references something extremely personal to me as well; that said, if I do regret it in many years to come, I shall just look upon it fondly, remember my youth and know that at one point in my life if was exactly what I wanted :smile:

Gosh I'm babbling ahaha, sorry! :tongue:

I think a hummingbird would look good, but it wouldn't really suit the size you'd want it if it was on your forearm. An owl could look decent too, but it's not particularly colourful (if that's what you're going for). Sparrows are both quite small and not all that colourful. There's also birds like parrots etc; lot of choice in there as well as beautiful colours. :h:

Aw. :cute: Why do they have to do the outline all at once, out of interest? I'm not skinny at all, I used to do amateur boxing and martial arts etc. I don't react well to needles though; I always feel faint when I get injections. :colondollar: Makes no sense as my pain threshold isn't particularly low either.

You don't even know what I look like. :tongue: You're right though; good tattoos do, almost always, look good on whoever they're on.

Ooh, that's a long time! Why so long? I just know that I really like tattoos, especially certain designs, and the meanings and intricate style of art has always fascinated me. I'm pretty clueless on what designs I'd actually want for myself though. :sad:

Rambling's fine; I'm stuck recovering from surgery so nout else to do!
Original post by Millz
Where can you find good tattoo designers??

Thanks in advance.

Tattoo artists are generally good tattoo designers!

You can get designs off the internet and many studios have flash (pre-drawn designs) on display.. but IMO it's always best to go and get something custom designed..

Some people tattoo just for a job and would be happy to do a tattoo design from the internet that other people could have, but proper tattoo artists want to design their own one-of-a-kind tattoos :smile:
Original post by zjs
I think a hummingbird would look good, but it wouldn't really suit the size you'd want it if it was on your forearm. An owl could look decent too, but it's not particularly colourful (if that's what you're going for). Sparrows are both quite small and not all that colourful. There's also birds like parrots etc; lot of choice in there as well as beautiful colours. :h:

Aw. :cute: Why do they have to do the outline all at once, out of interest? I'm not skinny at all, I used to do amateur boxing and martial arts etc. I don't react well to needles though; I always feel faint when I get injections. :colondollar: Makes no sense as my pain threshold isn't particularly low either.

You don't even know what I look like. :tongue: You're right though; good tattoos do, almost always, look good on whoever they're on.

Ooh, that's a long time! Why so long? I just know that I really like tattoos, especially certain designs, and the meanings and intricate style of art has always fascinated me. I'm pretty clueless on what designs I'd actually want for myself though. :sad:

Rambling's fine; I'm stuck recovering from surgery so nout else to do!

Yeah, I'll probably end up placing my bird somewhere else now, thinking about it, 'cos I want it to look bliddy amazing ahaha; that said, I don't want to completely cover myself in tattoos ha. Owls/sparrows can be pretty colourful/imaginative in my opinion... :smile:

Spoiler

Ahaha, I'm not 100% sure why, but it's probably because my tattooist drew the design and then transferred it to my skin in some kind of washable ink, so it'd be placed correctly/not wonky/etc, and it'd wash off or something when I was cleaning it if I left half the outline undone.

Well then, you should be fine with the little pain :tongue: I hope you get over your fear of needles and get some ink on you! And I do know what you look like, I know you in real life haha.... no, I don't, don't worry :emo:

'Cos I want to be sure with what I want/need time to save up (because, fingers crossed, I'll be a poor student in a few months), and even when I'm 110% sure with what I want, I still like to book my tattoo appointment like 3 or so months later, to doubly check I do want it. :smile:

Ahh, that sucks to hear man, hope recovery is going well. What happened to cause you to need surgery, if you don't mind me asking? :holmes:
Ebbw Vaaaaaale. But Pontypool's really where it's at :yep:

Is it you who said you're always in Newport Body Shop and you were gonna come and visit me? Or am I confusing you with someone else? :p:
Please come and spend some money :frown: And get one of our discount cards :biggrin: Seriously, so bored at work these days and I could do with a chat, even if it is TSR related :p:
£5 and you get 10% off for the whole year, and £20's of freebies throughout the year as you use it, plus we have loadsa events for holders - last weekend was 30% off everything, including sale :biggrin:

UGH, I've been repeating that all day at work. Just come in and talk something other than make up and body butter to me?
Original post by zjs
Where else would you consider placing it then? True, but I was thinking about them in their 'natural' colours, really. I mean, that pic looks good, but otherwise you could get literally any bird. If that's the case, I'm not sure, there are a lot that could look pretty good in bright colours. :yep:

Actually, yeah, that does make sense. Otherwise it'd involve doing that more than once, which'd be a bit of a headache. My pain threshold is relatively high, it's just needles (:colondollar:), and why do you hope I get some ink? So I'm not such a hypocrite leading the Tat Society? :emo: Also, why so sad at not knowing me irl? :teehee:

That sounds like a sensible system. How much did the gypsy girl cost ya? Ooh, fingers crossed on becoming a poor student! Where are you aiming for?

Bit of an embarrassing one tbh; had to go in for circumcision and stitching. :sad: :colondollar:

Not sure, haha, like I said, it's just an initial idea right now. I know haha, that's what makes choosing a certain type of bird so difficult :') And I'm not sure if I'd go for "fake" colours of some kind of bird and all imaginative/creative, or if I'd try and get it done as realistically as possible, ahaha. Like I said, just in the very first stage of thinking about another tattoo, since my gypsy woman is now almost fully healed :smile:

Haha, no, you're not a hypocrite at all, I didn't say that! You just kind of seemed like you wanted to get a tattoo but were thinking of every excuse under the moon to not get one, so I was just saying (in not so many words) that I hope you get one if you really want it and don't let your needle fear/the fact it's permanent get in the way. You only live once :tongue:

Gypsy lady cost me £240, and I think it took about 3 and a half hours, did it in one sitting :smile: Hopefully I'll get good enough grades to study Business at Nottingham Trent; I really struggle with exams haha. You at uni?

Ahh, least you have the guts to say it :h: last time I was in hospital I had a back operation, was not the most pleasant of experiences :')
Bah ha ha, please make sure it's me you take it off, we have competitions :p:

Not every day. I'd rather have more hours than anything, tbh. I needsa money for ma inks :yep:
Reply 1071
Original post by ironandwine
Not sure, haha, like I said, it's just an initial idea right now. I know haha, that's what makes choosing a certain type of bird so difficult :') And I'm not sure if I'd go for "fake" colours of some kind of bird and all imaginative/creative, or if I'd try and get it done as realistically as possible, ahaha. Like I said, just in the very first stage of thinking about another tattoo, since my gypsy woman is now almost fully healed :smile:

Haha, no, you're not a hypocrite at all, I didn't say that! You just kind of seemed like you wanted to get a tattoo but were thinking of every excuse under the moon to not get one, so I was just saying (in not so many words) that I hope you get one if you really want it and don't let your needle fear/the fact it's permanent get in the way. You only live once :tongue:

Gypsy lady cost me £240, and I think it took about 3 and a half hours, did it in one sitting :smile: Hopefully I'll get good enough grades to study Business at Nottingham Trent; I really struggle with exams haha. You at uni?

Ahh, least you have the guts to say it :h: last time I was in hospital I had a back operation, was not the most pleasant of experiences :')

S'pose it depends on how much you like the type of bird in question, or how an artist/tattooist has represented it. Owls are pretty popular, so there are so pretty cool designs, if you're looking for it coloured in an original way. How many tats you looking to get, ultimately?

Yeah I know, I was just messing! That's how it feels though, I want a tattoo, sort of, but I have no idea what I'd want and the whole process is off-putting. :colondollar: The needle fear probably isn't insurmountable, it just depends how much I build it up. The permanent could be a problem, simply because I can't think of anything permanent that I'd feel strongly enough to have at the minute.

That's good for cost and time! Someone I know had an awful back tattoo, that covers his whole back and rips off a "celeb tat" (:sick:), that set him back £400 and took five hours. Waiting for A Level results then? What do you need? I've just finished my third year at uni, results were dire - complete **** up, despite really trying, so I'm waiting to see whether I can retake or what my final degree will come out as. :emo:

I'm not usually in hospital much, I try and avoid it whenever I can. Managed to avoid hospital for a week a couple of times when I had broken bones but convinced myself they weren't. :redface: Not that I mind hospitals themselves, I just don't like the whole pain/surgery thing. :no:
Reply 1072
Saw you posting (on my recent discussion board, again). :wavey:

I can't sleep. :sad:
This thread will never die :biggrin:
Reply 1074
When are your hours? First night shift?

Still not great, waiting to find out what to do, really. :emo:

Original post by Will7291
This thread will never die :biggrin:

We've got a decent little society and member-base, now. :yep:
I need to make my presence known Hahaa

I'm going to post more from now on
I want a tattoo, but my skin is incredibly sensitive. Is it even possible? :emo:
Reply 1077
Ooh, why, what's the problem? :colone:

Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
I want a tattoo, but my skin is incredibly sensitive. Is it even possible? :emo:

It's worth seeing a GP about if your skin takes an unusually large amount of time to heal. If not, and you're not one of the small minority who're allergic to tattoo ink, it shouldn't be a problem.

It would, most likely, just involve keeping it clean and using a decent lotion/ointment for a few weeks afterwards.
Reply 1078
All night. :daydreaming:

How do you have these mad chip programming skills? :holmes:

If you're not going to put the military grade chips into toys, at least put them into the brains of sharks to recreate Deep Blue Sea, tbh. :yep:
Reply 1079
Euphemism? :hubba:

What are these mad tests? How long have you been working there, too? :holmes:

Ooh, check you out, with your 'important meetings'. You'll probably become CEO with the sharks idea, so just don't forget who helped you to the top when you're holding Microsoft by the balls and squeezing millions from Gates. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending