The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zjs
Well this too, ofc, but I thought that was a given. I was agreeing that something doesn't have to have meaning to be a great tattoo; the aesthetic beauty of body art is enough, and if something's not as intricate, it's better if it has a meaning. Both is best, of course, but isn't necessary. :yes:

When Frank Carter is guesting at Frith, I am getting a tattoo from him whether it has meaning or not.

Tbh.

Original post by greeneyedgirl
TBH I expect that's just their excuse and they just don't like tattoos.

When I brought up the subject, my mum was all, "That's a great idea, why don't I help you choose, then get it for your 18th birthday." Then she got one about four months later :h:

Original post by Hylean
I'd love a tattoo and one of my best mates is a tattooist, ****ing amazing artist, but my skin is far too sensitive. Wouldn't want to risk it.

Much more interested in scarification now.

Scarification looks interesting, but it can be quite imprecise, can't it? People can scar differently, so something that works on some people looks terrible on others.
Original post by Hylean
I'd love a tattoo and one of my best mates is a tattooist, ****ing amazing artist, but my skin is far too sensitive. Wouldn't want to risk it.

Much more interested in scarification now.

I really want some branding, but I'm sh*t scared of getting any scarification done lol
Reply 1122
Original post by Jace Falco
Scarification looks interesting, but it can be quite imprecise, can't it? People can scar differently, so something that works on some people looks terrible on others.

Yeah, as well as it being hard to find a place that does it. I want bone-outlines carved into my back, fine detail. Thankfully, I scar really easily, so it shouldn't be too bad. I've read up on it and there are ways to help scarring, such as lemon juice, rubbing it with abrasive cloths, etc., basically anything that will annoy the wounds and delay the healing process.

Original post by cdsmith1990
I really want some branding, but I'm sh*t scared of getting any scarification done lol

Heh, I like pain, but I have to say, it will definitely be an experience if I ever get it done. Right now I'm working on my piercings, but I already know the general idea of the design I want.
Just looked at some images of scarification :afraid:
I almost posted some but decided against it lol...

I've always wanted to do a 'suspension'.. for the banter like...
Original post by zjs
You's a bad mamma jamma. :hubba:

That sounds likely, tbf.

Yeah, they might come round to the idea...

...doubt it tho

Original post by Jace Falco
When I brought up the subject, my mum was all, "That's a great idea, why don't I help you choose, then get it for your 18th birthday." Then she got one about four months later :h:

Lucky you! Wish my parents were like that!
Original post by badger-man
Just looked at some images of scarification :afraid:

Some is full on, some is much more mainstream. My piercer has a frog scarred into her, it looks awesome.
Reply 1127
Hey everyone,

I've just come across this thread and was wondering if I could any advice and ideas toward a tattoo? I've been thinking about getting one for about a year now, it's not just a spontaneous decision. I would want something personal, which means something to me like religious scripture or maybe a phrase about faith or God.

I am Asian, so I was thinking it'd be appropriate to get it done in one of the many languages available (Hindi, Gujerati, Sanskrit etc.) but I'm still deliberating.

Could anyone with knowledge about tattoos help me out please? Any potential ideas floating around in your head maybe, or even just advice about getting a tattoo (things I should know beforehand etc.)

I'm not too clued up on them, but I was hoping here might be a good place to get started. Thank you! :smile:
Hurts like a bar steward
Original post by Rish7
Hey everyone,

I've just come across this thread and was wondering if I could any advice and ideas toward a tattoo? I've been thinking about getting one for about a year now, it's not just a spontaneous decision. I would want something personal, which means something to me like religious scripture or maybe a phrase about faith or God.

I am Asian, so I was thinking it'd be appropriate to get it done in one of the many languages available (Hindi, Gujerati, Sanskrit etc.) but I'm still deliberating.

Could anyone with knowledge about tattoos help me out please? Any potential ideas floating around in your head maybe, or even just advice about getting a tattoo (things I should know beforehand etc.)

I'm not too clued up on them, but I was hoping here might be a good place to get started. Thank you! :smile:

For advice on getting a tattoo, take a lot at the OP of this thread.

As to what to get, that's obviously got to be personal to you, and should be your choice. Since you've already thought of religious scripture, you might try having a look on the internet for something particularly meaningful to you (if you don't fancy trawling through the entire texts yourself :p:).
Original post by Rish7
Hey everyone,

No offence or anything but if you don't know what you want, you don't really want a tattoo. Nothing anybody says on here is going to be personal to you.
Reply 1131
Original post by Scott129
No offence or anything but if you don't know what you want, you don't really want a tattoo. Nothing anybody says on here is going to be personal to you.

None taken, and I knew someone might bring that up. :smile:

I know that it will definitely be that of a religious quote of some form, it's just I am short on ideas of how it could be done artistically/aesthetically etc. I guess what I was asking for was if anyone has had a tattoo or has seen one (scripture) which looked particularly nice, hopefully they could share insight with me as to how it was done/where it was placed.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't looking for someone to slap a tattoo on me haha. :tongue:
Original post by Rish7
None taken, and I knew someone might bring that up. :smile:

I know that it will definitely be that of a religious quote of some form, it's just I am short on ideas of how it could be done artistically/aesthetically etc. I guess what I was asking for was if anyone has had a tattoo or has seen one (scripture) which looked particularly nice, hopefully they could share insight with me as to how it was done/where it was placed.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't looking for someone to slap a tattoo on me haha. :tongue:

Oh haha sorry, kinda misunderstood you then :tongue:

Well, ideally, the shorter the quote the better. To me, a huge paragraph of writing would look awful. As for placement, I think ribs are by far the best place for some kind of wording. I've also seen people with writing on the top of their backs/shoulders and inside of their arms/forearms and it looked quite good. Of course, you need to take into account job prospects (i.e. somewhere you can easily cover up) and if you have it on ribs or back, that would be ideal.

Hope that was a bit more helpful than my last post :tongue:
Reply 1133
Boring-ish reference to rep that may bore most. :pierre:

Spoiler

Can't sleep. :emo:

I can tell you're on a nightshift. :puppyeyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zjs
Boring-ish reference to rep that may bore most. :pierre:

Spoiler

Can't sleep. :emo:

I can tell you're on a nightshift. :puppyeyes:

Damn brah :shock: 102
Reply 1135
Original post by Griffin23
Damn brah :shock: 102

I know. :awesome: 104 now, tbh.

Only 9 hours old as well. :K:
Original post by zjs
I know. :awesome: 104 now, tbh.

Only 9 hours old as well. :K:

that is crazy yo:colonhash:
Reply 1137
that is crazy yo:colonhash:

It shall snowball into hall of fame greatness. :moon:

A ten minute break and you're straight onto TSR? :teehee:

Aw. :console: I'm boiling here and the window's open. :sadnod:
Original post by zjs
It shall snowball into hall of fame greatness. :moon:

A ten minute break and you're straight onto TSR? :teehee:

Aw. :console: I'm boiling here and the window's open. :sadnod:

:colonhash: indeed it may, I wonder how many points you racked up there

I know right, TSR addict:teehee:
Reply 1139
:colonhash: indeed it may, I wonder how many points you racked up there

I know right, TSR addict:teehee:

In the two pages I can be arsed to skim, it's around 40ish. May total it at some point (may not though, tbh).

You said we wouldn't mention that here. :flutter:

Does the lovely guy's name rhyme with Race the Alco'? :holmes:

He sounds hilarious. :rofl2:

Quick Reply

Latest