The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosiecheeks
Okay thank you for the reply. Is it like a stabbing pain or a scratching pain? I just really want to get my tattoo but I am terrified of the pain.

My one on my ankle was scratchy.
It was uncomfortable but I wouldn't say it was painful.
I didn't want to cry or scream or anything.
Reply 1641
Hehe okay, thank you very much! :smile: I can't wait to get inked!

The pain is fine. It's scratchy and uncomfortable at times, but you do get used to it.

I just wish I had more money to finish off my back and side piece - 4 hours in and the outline is still yet to be finished. I would also like to get a full sleeve done.

Hope it goes well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Could do with some advice on prices; eventually going to get a full-back tat done. Right from the top of my ass to nape of the neck, and across the shoulders. Obviously I want someone truly exceptional to work on it. Any ideas of the initial outlay, and final cost of something that size? I realize it would take quite a while to do anyway, without factoring in having to pay gradually.
Original post by RachelWest
Is it going to be colour? I have a really cool image of the apple in colour :smile:

Yeah I'm getting colour on Thursday! Hopefully it turns out well, not sure if the colours will be dark/light etc.
Original post by Aisha~~
Could do with some advice on prices; eventually going to get a full-back tat done. Right from the top of my ass to nape of the neck, and across the shoulders. Obviously I want someone truly exceptional to work on it. Any ideas of the initial outlay, and final cost of something that size? I realize it would take quite a while to do anyway, without factoring in having to pay gradually.

At a guess, 2-3,000?
^ Yeah, if you want to get a whole back tattoo done by someone exceptional then it could cost well within the thousands. It would be worth it though, having a stunning piece of art across your back.

I frequently go through phases of wanting a sleeve (yes I'm a girl and I know I'll get a lot of negative comments for wanting a sleeve) and if I ever did get one later in the future I would go to someone called Rachel Baldwin at Modern Body Art. Some of her tattoos literally left me speechless lol!
My tattoo is still super wrinkly and it's been a month. :frown:
I did all the aftercare I was told, but there was so much conflicting info and now I'm worried I messed up and ruined my tattoo.
Original post by Popppppy
My tattoo is still super wrinkly and it's been a month. :frown:
I did all the aftercare I was told, but there was so much conflicting info and now I'm worried I messed up and ruined my tattoo.

Did you by any chance use savlon cream?

When I used that for my first tattoo the results were disastrous. It dried out like hell and wrinkled a bit. The artist who recommended using savlon twice a day for 2 weeks is actually the artist who did a bad job of my tattoo as he was so heavy-handed (but luckily I'm getting a cover up from a brilliant artist in the summer *phew*).
Original post by MarzipanButterfly
Did you by any chance use savlon cream?

When I used that for my first tattoo the results were disastrous. It dried out like hell and wrinkled a bit. The artist who recommended using savlon twice a day for 2 weeks is actually the artist who did a bad job of my tattoo as he was so heavy-handed (but luckily I'm getting a cover up from a brilliant artist in the summer *phew*).

Nope bepanthen.
I don't know if I used too much or not enough.
I used a lot at the start, then my tattoo was really runny so I cut it down, then the entire thing turned to one big scab (it's a 2 inch lightening bolt) so I kept bepanthening it, then the scab gradually came away and underneath it was wrinkly and shiny and that's how it's been for the last 2 weeks.
I'm putting bepanthen on once or twice a day atm.

It's kinda puckered, like how skin goes when it's scarring?
Nope bepanthen.
I used a lot at the start, then my tattoo was really runny so I cut it down, then the entire thing turned to one big scab (it's a 2 inch lightening bolt) so I kept bepanthening it, then the scab gradually came away and underneath it was wrinkly and shiny and that's how it's been for the last 2 weeks.

Ahh right, bepanthen is what most good artists recommend.

I have that trouble as well, not knowing whether I'm putting too much or not enough >.< I think when it comes to tattoo aftercare you have to find what's best for your own skin. With my other tattoo I've learnt that I should probably use more moisturising creams when healing.

The wrinkly/shiny thing sounds sounds familiar. It might be scar tissue or it might go down after a while (if your artist went too deep into the skin it makes the healing process very very long).
Nope bepanthen.

I wouldn't know without seeing it if yours is the same as mine, but after my scabs fell off my first one there was a layer of wrinkly skin over the top, so I ditched the bepanthen and started using Simple moisturiser (chemical free) twice a day. When I first put it on, the moisturiser made the skin look less wrinkly (almost like normal skin for about the first hour) and then the layer of skin eventually came off and it was fine. The wrinkly skin kind of extended slightly outside my outline, but I only noticed because I was obsessing about it.
If this sounds like you then get some Simple or any other moisturiser with no chemicals (mum used Wilkinson's own brand, basically the same stuff with a different label) and put it on twice a day, or three times if you're particularly worried, and if it is like mine it'll be fine (mine took about 2 weeks before it all came off and the bigger areas took longer - although that does make sense). If not I'm sorry that I've not been very helpful.
Try not to worry, and let us know how it goes.
I have that trouble as well, not knowing whether I'm putting too much or not enough >.< I think when it comes to tattoo aftercare you have to find what's best for your own skin. With my other tattoo I've learnt that I should probably use more moisturising creams when healing.

Enough to make the tattooed skin shine (and if you can see the pink of the cream then you're bordering on too much), three times a day was what I was told. My shoulder tattoo didn't scab at all (ankle one did, but that's because I couldn't keep it completely uncovered so my clothes kept catching on it).

Sorry to quote you twice Popppppy, I just thought I'd quote you both here :smile:
Reply 1652
Okay thank you for the reply. Is it like a stabbing pain or a scratching pain? I just really want to get my tattoo but I am terrified of the pain.

Bet you anything I'm a bigger wimp than you when it comes to pain, and I got through my tat alright. Mine's near my collarbone, not gonna lie it did hurt when he tattooed near the bone and I made some noise :rofl2: but it's definitely not a pain you can't handle - more like an intense stinging and some pressure. I'll be getting more tattoo's anyway. :smile:
Original post by minimarshmallow
I wouldn't know without seeing it if yours is the same as mine, but after my scabs fell off my first one there was a layer of wrinkly skin over the top, so I ditched the bepanthen and started using Simple moisturiser (chemical free) twice a day. When I first put it on, the moisturiser made the skin look less wrinkly (almost like normal skin for about the first hour) and then the layer of skin eventually came off and it was fine. The wrinkly skin kind of extended slightly outside my outline, but I only noticed because I was obsessing about it.
If this sounds like you then get some Simple or any other moisturiser with no chemicals (mum used Wilkinson's own brand, basically the same stuff with a different label) and put it on twice a day, or three times if you're particularly worried, and if it is like mine it'll be fine (mine took about 2 weeks before it all came off and the bigger areas took longer - although that does make sense). If not I'm sorry that I've not been very helpful.
Try not to worry, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you, I already have Simple moisturiser cos I use it for my face so I will start with that immediately and I'll keep you updated!
^ Yeah, if you want to get a whole back tattoo done by someone exceptional then it could cost well within the thousands. It would be worth it though, having a stunning piece of art across your back.

I frequently go through phases of wanting a sleeve (yes I'm a girl and I know I'll get a lot of negative comments for wanting a sleeve) and if I ever did get one later in the future I would go to someone called Rachel Baldwin at Modern Body Art. Some of her tattoos literally left me speechless lol!

Oh, it would be magnificent. I'm a huge fan of Ozuma Kaname (RIP). Bought one of his pieces (copy) in San Francisco, age 5. Had it up on my wall ever since, honestly one of my most treasured possessions. Really keen to get it re envisaged in tattoo form...especially since it combines two of the biggest loves of my life...tigers and Japanese artwork;

Going to have to do some research as to who I'd like to do it. Certainly someone top notch.
word-tattoo-24.jpg

yay or nay? :rolleyes:
Original post by Will7291
word-tattoo-24.jpg

yay or nay? :rolleyes:

Oh dear.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oh dear.

is it that bad?
Original post by Will7291
is it that bad?

Legacy...such a bad thing to get tattooed...
how so? tbf this isn't my tattoo

I just wanted opinions on it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest