The Student Room Group

Extended Project Ancient History Ideas?

Hi :smile: Next year I have chosen to do the extended project. I was thinking of doing it on ancient history, particularly the Greeks and their mythology. I've never studied it before but I've always had an interest in it and have been self studying for a while.

Anyway, what I wanted were some ideas for what I could do. I was thinking, 'How has mythology influenced Greek life?'

There's so much to study and I'm not sure! Help!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
That sounds really good! If I were to do an EPQ I would do it about Ancient History too, because I find it really interesting and like learning about it in my spare time (not that I have much of it atm, due to exams :frown:) I don't know if I can though because I'm not sure if my sixth form offers it, and even if they do it may be too much work on top of 5 a levels too.
Good luck with yours! :smile:
Reply 2
What level are you studying at?
Reply 3
Thank you :smile:
I just finished my ASlevels and I think the EPQ is level 3?
Reply 4
Hello! :smile: that idea sounds awesome! I did history a level, and got to do a similar project (where i was initially going to do "The fall of the Roman Empire", but changed it to the Albigensian Crusade, because of source limitations and stuff).
But if you need any help, i can recommend books etc :smile: (i'm kinda in love with ancient history! :tongue:)
Reply 5
Sounds like an interesting title, but may be a bit to broad, but remember you can change your title till quite a way through the project.

Kind of linking in with your current title, but maybe do something in relation to women and mythology in Greece, and relate this to the "treatment" ( can't think of the word) of goddesses? If that makes sense, obviously you don't have to do this, but just giving ideas of how maybe you narrow down the title a bit.
Reply 6
Original post by Betsss
Hello! :smile: that idea sounds awesome! I did history a level, and got to do a similar project (where i was initially going to do "The fall of the Roman Empire", but changed it to the Albigensian Crusade, because of source limitations and stuff).
But if you need any help, i can recommend books etc :smile: (i'm kinda in love with ancient history! :tongue:)

Hi :smile: Thank you! I know there's lots of books on the topic- I looked at some books written by Michael Grant but as a beginner it can seem a bit 'disconnected' for me like hard to follow. Do you know some good books that are a bit more well not easy ha but for those with less knowledge? Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by tehmonkey
Sounds like an interesting title, but may be a bit to broad, but remember you can change your title till quite a way through the project.

Kind of linking in with your current title, but maybe do something in relation to women and mythology in Greece, and relate this to the "treatment" ( can't think of the word) of goddesses? If that makes sense, obviously you don't have to do this, but just giving ideas of how maybe you narrow down the title a bit.

Hi! That's a really good idea! It would be alot easier to find sources and is more specific. Thank you :smile:
Original post by river123

Original post by river123
Hi :smile: Thank you! I know there's lots of books on the topic- I looked at some books written by Michael Grant but as a beginner it can seem a bit 'disconnected' for me like hard to follow. Do you know some good books that are a bit more well not easy ha but for those with less knowledge? Thank you :smile:

I tried to find the reading list for my uni's Greek mythology modules but they haven't been published yet. Here's another uni's one. The thing about reading books a uni suggested is that it'll push you just that little bit further. For a very quick intro to Greek myths, there are loads of little books you can read (I have The World's Mythology: In Colour which I picked up second hand for a few quid - it's okay for a very brief overview).

The list I've linked is really nicely set out - it has some myths to read up on, followed by introduction books to myth (and religion if that interests you) and then suggestions of exploring certain areas more deeply.

This may sound geeky, but I'm very jealous you get to do an extended project - my school only offered them to those they thought wouldn't do so well in A levels - I would've loved to do something on ancient history!
Reply 9
Original post by Aemiliana
I tried to find the reading list for my uni's Greek mythology modules but they haven't been published yet. Here's another uni's one. The thing about reading books a uni suggested is that it'll push you just that little bit further. For a very quick intro to Greek myths, there are loads of little books you can read (I have The World's Mythology: In Colour which I picked up second hand for a few quid - it's okay for a very brief overview).

The list I've linked is really nicely set out - it has some myths to read up on, followed by introduction books to myth (and religion if that interests you) and then suggestions of exploring certain areas more deeply.

This may sound geeky, but I'm very jealous you get to do an extended project - my school only offered them to those they thought wouldn't do so well in A levels - I would've loved to do something on ancient history!

Thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 10
Hello, i am also thinking of studying Ancient History for my Extended project. Do you mind giving me some names of books that i could read to develop my understanding further ?

Thank you
Original post by tehmonkey

hey what do you mean 'treatment of goddesses'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending