The Student Room Group

Economic degree question for cambridge and LSE

I want to do economic in Cambridge or LSE but what happen if i didn't achieve A* for economic at final exam,only an A. Do i still have a chance? Is the chance rare or big?
Reply 1
Original post by askquestions
I want to do economic in Cambridge or LSE but what happen if i didn't achieve A* for economic at final exam,only an A. Do i still have a chance? Is the chance rare or big?
If you had an offer stating that you must have an A* in Economics, getting less would not be good news. If you were applying after your A levels, you might find that an A was not enough, but nobody can tell you for sure. In any case, both unis reject people offering A*s at A level every year; remember that they look at everything the applicant is offering, not just grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
If you had an offer stating that you must have an A* in Economics, getting less would not be good news. If you were applying after your A levels, you might find that an A was not enough, but nobody can tell you for sure. In any case, both unis reject people offering A*s at A level every year; remember that they look at everything the applicant is offering, not just grades.

Does it mean that if I'm doing few activities, i might still have the chance?

Also I've checked undergraduate for Cambridge and LSE and they only ask for A* on maths. Does it mean that achieve an A grade for economics might still have the chance to study economic degree?
Reply 3
It depends on whether it is a condition of your offer.

Out of curiosity, are you a non-native English speaker?
Reply 4
Original post by Cast.Iron
It depends on whether it is a condition of your offer.

Out of curiosity, are you a non-native English speaker?

No,is before I apply. Just in case I didn't do well.

Yeah, I've only been here for two and half years.

Also do you know how many percent do I need to get an A* for economics.
(edited 12 years ago)

They usually give A*AA with an A* in maths, so you have a chance with an A in economics.

An A* in economics requires 90% in A2 modules (unit 3 and 4) and overall you need 320/400, for example :

unit 1 : 75/100
unit 2 : 85/100
unit 3 : 90/100
unit 4 = 90/100

= A*

good luck, dont be put off.
Reply 6

Your English is very good for two and a half years but you will have to perfect it for when writing your Personal Statement. What year are you in at school now?

I believe that it is the same as all other A-Levels (except Maths and Further Maths), which requires you to achieve a mean average of 90%+ UMS in your A2 exams. You do not need to get that sort of average at AS but if applying to Cambridge it would help as they ask for your individual AS scores on the SAQ.
Reply 7
Original post by Cast.Iron
Your English is very good for two and a half years but you will have to perfect it for when writing your Personal Statement. What year are you in at school now?

I believe that it is the same as all other A-Levels (except Maths and Further Maths), which requires you to achieve a mean average of 90%+ UMS in your A2 exams. You do not need to get that sort of average at AS but if applying to Cambridge it would help as they ask for your individual AS scores on the SAQ.

Might not achieve Camberidge requirement but thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by Extricated
They usually give A*AA with an A* in maths, so you have a chance with an A in economics.

An A* in economics requires 90% in A2 modules (unit 3 and 4) and overall you need 320/400, for example :

unit 1 : 75/100
unit 2 : 85/100
unit 3 : 90/100
unit 4 = 90/100

= A*

good luck, dont be put off.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest