The Student Room Group

Medicine Foundation Year - Personal Statement

I have now decided I want to do Medicine but because I did not take Biology and Chemistry at A-level, I have to do the Medicine Foundation Course.
What reasons can you put in a personal statement for wanting to do Medicine Foundation Year?
Reply 1
Original post by Sweet_shafz
I have now decided I want to do Medicine but because I did not take Biology and Chemistry at A-level, I have to do the Medicine Foundation Course.
What reasons can you put in a personal statement for wanting to do Medicine Foundation Year?
That you want to be a doctor?
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
That you want to be a doctor?

LOL. Couldn't resist =P
Reply 3
Good luck with your ____ goals in 2011.
Reply 4
What reason can I give for changing my mind?
Reply 5
What reason can I give for changing my mind?
You know the answer to that question; I certainly don't.

If this is a course that is only for people who want to become doctors, I would have thought that explaining why you want to be a doctor is all you need to do. Personal Statements are not the place for negative information, so 'why I changed my mind' is not a great place to start.
Reply 6
Thanks for your help. So do I just write my personal statement like I'm applying for Medicine? Also, when I go for an interview, could the interviewer ask me why I'm doing the foundation year?
Reply 7
Thanks for your help. So do I just write my personal statement like I'm applying for Medicine? Also, when I go for an interview, could the interviewer ask me why I'm doing the foundation year?
You want to be a doctor. You don't have the necessary qualifications to get into Medical School. This course provides you with the necessary qualifications. Sounds like a pretty robust reason for doing the course to me.
Reply 8
They'll know why you're doing the foundation year - because you don't already have the necessary qualifications to go straight into the five year course. Yes, apply as if you're applying for medicine. As previously mentioned, don't put in anything negatie, like 'I hadn't done this before because....'. Think more along the lines of 'I'm now ready to take on this challenge because I've learned ___ about what I want from a career etc'.

It is important for you to understand why you want to be a doctor. Writing it down might seem hard, but in doing so, you will truly understand the reasons for your decision. They have to be your own reasons, no one elses.
Reply 9

First I'd advise you look at the entry requirements for such courses. Southampton (as well as expecting you to meet criteria such as being first in the family to go to university, recieving EMA e.c.t) expect you to have both Biology and Chemistry A-Level for the foundation course.

UEA doesn't according to the website, but you need to meet the access criteria which is the same as Southamptons.

St Georges doesn't accept those who have taken A-Levels.

Keele and Bristols courses are both open to anyone who hasn't taken Biology and Chemistry though.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending