The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by superwolf
Welcome to the society. :cheers:

I think a couple of people said they'd tried the Stella Artois, from what I remember they didn't rate it though. I think it was somewhere near the start of the thread if you want to look.

:cheers:

Looked through and it doesn't look very favourable :lol: may pick up one bottle if I can find it by itself at the local or Tesco :smile:
Hmm....i have an apple tree in my garden :holmes: I wonder how many apples i would need to make the required 250ml of apple juice? I want to try and figure out what type of apples my tree produces first though :hmmm:

Also, how safe is this cider normally that you lot homebrew? >_>
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by zedbrar
Hmm....i have an apple tree in my garden :holmes: I wonder how many apples i would need to make the required 250ml of apple juice? I want to try and figure out what type of apples my tree produces first though :hmmm:

Also, how safe is this cider normally that you lot homebrew? >_>

From the stuff I was reading, it seems like working from apples is a lot more effort; you need to mash up the apples and then press them for juice. But on the plus side it should work from the natural yeast found on the apples.

As for safety, all the ingredients are safe to eat anyway, so even if it goes wrong you shouldn't be in much danger. Maybe if you used way too much yeast you could start gut fermentation? :p:
Original post by dbmag9
From the stuff I was reading, it seems like working from apples is a lot more effort; you need to mash up the apples and then press them for juice. But on the plus side it should work from the natural yeast found on the apples.

As for safety, all the ingredients are safe to eat anyway, so even if it goes wrong you shouldn't be in much danger. Maybe if you used way too much yeast you could start gut fermentation? :p:

I guess that also means that i need to invest in an apple presser. Also, do you have any idea how many apples would it take on estimate?

Basically, i started reading on other sites and then i came across the comments on this website and one of the guy's comments is actually putting me off :s-smilie: From his advice, i should NOT make cider...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-cider/
Reply 244
Original post by zedbrar
I guess that also means that i need to invest in an apple presser. Also, do you have any idea how many apples would it take on estimate?

No idea, sorry.
Original post by dbmag9
No idea, sorry.

I've just watched a video of someone making cider from scratch using apples and tbh it looks too complex for me to undertake. :tongue: I think i shall pass on that idea.

Also, this should be the society anthem

Reply 246
Original post by zedbrar
Also, this should be the society anthem

Done. :biggrin: Ooh arr ooh arr ay!
Done. :biggrin: Ooh arr ooh arr ay!

We must be so much cooler than all the other societies because we actually have an athem :cool:

I am a cider drinker
I drinks it all of the day
I am a cider drinker
It soothes all me troubles away
Oh arr oh arr aay
Oh arr oh arr aay.

:coma:
Reply 248
Original post by zedbrar

Basically, i started reading on other sites and then i came across the comments on this website and one of the guy's comments is actually putting me off :s-smilie: From his advice, i should NOT make cider...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-cider/

If your talking about that fenris guy, he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, he thinks that setting up a still to produce spirits is actually safer than fermenting beer or cider, which is ridiculous. Making spirits is illegal without a licence in many countries for a reason, i.e. you can poison yourself easily if you don't know what your doing. Whereas making cider or beer is perfectly legal for personal use, the worst you can do is ending up with something that doesn't taste any good! :biggrin:
Just having a Thatchers Green Goblin - mmmmmmm
Reply 250
Just cunningly suspended the vanilla pod in the perry, using some thread and a bit of cardboard. Looking forward to testing the results. :drool:
Original post by paper-wings
Just having a Thatchers Green Goblin - mmmmmmm

That is a nice cider indeed. :cheers:
Off out tomorrow night. I wonder how awesome I'd look trying to get some cider in the only pub in my town who sells proper cider in my best gladrags.

Bring it on :biggrin: Just means persuading a load of people to go there, which I'm sure I can :awesome:
Instead of settling down with a nice cider, I have a cold relentless, as I learned yesterday cider is not conductive to working, and I need to work...
Original post by rmhumphries
Instead of settling down with a nice cider, I have a cold relentless, as I learned yesterday cider is not conductive to working, and I need to work...

Cider always helped me work, the lower alcohol ones anyway.

Why are you working? :console:
Original post by Loz17
Cider always helped me work, the lower alcohol ones anyway.

Why are you working? :console:

Got an extension on my dissertation, as had various issues over the last semester, so now need to complete it by the end of the month. And even now still struggling to keep the motivation to do it :| If I drink a small amount, it will help me code, but not do the write-up, and if I drink too much I get distracted even easier!
Reply 256
Just cunningly suspended the vanilla pod in the perry, using some thread and a bit of cardboard. Looking forward to testing the results. :drool:

Fill me in when you do :drool:
Ach...I only have whisky in at the moment. If I put some lemonade in it then it almost looks like cider :/
Stella Cider is not Cider, c'est crap

I made spiced cider last christmas, but I had far too much flavour in it blargh
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries
Got an extension on my dissertation, as had various issues over the last semester, so now need to complete it by the end of the month. And even now still struggling to keep the motivation to do it :| If I drink a small amount, it will help me code, but not do the write-up, and if I drink too much I get distracted even easier!

:hugs: Have fun. Just think, the sooner it's done the better :h:

Motivation isn't easy I know, I wish I could help with it :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest