The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by rmhumphries
Haha, glad to hear your evening has gone well.

Mine could be better, I have done very little work today, I have however drunk a reasonable amount of alcohol, and discovered one of my friends seems to be doing a lot better with women than he most likely realises, however I have no-one online who knows him to share this with. So all in all, not too bad, but would be nice to have someone here to do stuff with.

Work is for normal people, not for the likes of us (by this I don't mean that we're mentally superior but the opposite, that we're so mentally afflicted that work is beyond our capabilities. Or at least that's the excuse that I've been using... :tongue:). Therefore not having worked is nothing to feel ashamed of.

If you like I could pretend that I know your friend and am interested in his chances with women, but as payment for this service I'll probably ask you to do something mildly unpleasant, such as spread rumours about the numbers of STDs he's contracted, so you might want to think twice about my offer.

If I have some news but no-one to tell it to I sometimes just invent conversations in my head where I tell either real or imaginary people what's happened. This works slightly to make you feel less lonely, but the downsides are that a) it makes you suspect that you might be more than a little crazy and b) it gets hard to keep track of which conversations are real and which ones are imaginary.
Original post by superwolf
Work is for normal people, not for the likes of us (by this I don't mean that we're mentally superior but the opposite, that we're so mentally afflicted that work is beyond our capabilities. Or at least that's the excuse that I've been using... :tongue:). Therefore not having worked is nothing to feel ashamed of.

If you like I could pretend that I know your friend and am interested in his chances with women, but as payment for this service I'll probably ask you to do something mildly unpleasant, such as spread rumours about the numbers of STDs he's contracted, so you might want to think twice about my offer.

If I have some news but no-one to tell it to I sometimes just invent conversations in my head where I tell either real or imaginary people what's happened. This works slightly to make you feel less lonely, but the downsides are that a) it makes you suspect that you might be more than a little crazy and b) it gets hard to keep track of which conversations are real and which ones are imaginary.

Hmm, true, hence why I still have work to do now! I need to finish my dissertation by the end of the month, this is a hard deadline that can not be moved anymore. I think even if I was hit by a bus two days before the deadline, and went into a coma, I could not get out of submitting it!

Haha, tis ok, will talk about him with someone, at some point. Most likely my flatmate / ex when she gets back from America, she is useful for some things! And I think he is too innocent to have an STD, hence why the news is so shocking.

Hmm, yes, I already have normal seeming dreams, which I then think happened,resulting in me now having trouble separating what happened in a dream and what happened in real life!

By the way, I will reply to your PM, but so far both attempts over more than 1 day have resulted in TSR timing out, me forgetting to copy the message, and then it losing the message ><
Reply 302
Hmm, true, hence why I still have work to do now! I need to finish my dissertation by the end of the month, this is a hard deadline that can not be moved anymore. I think even if I was hit by a bus two days before the deadline, and went into a coma, I could not get out of submitting it!

Haha, tis ok, will talk about him with someone, at some point. Most likely my flatmate / ex when she gets back from America, she is useful for some things! And I think he is too innocent to have an STD, hence why the news is so shocking.

Hmm, yes, I already have normal seeming dreams, which I then think happened,resulting in me now having trouble separating what happened in a dream and what happened in real life!

By the way, I will reply to your PM, but so far both attempts over more than 1 day have resulted in TSR timing out, me forgetting to copy the message, and then it losing the message ><

Aargh dissertation, the word that strikes fear into the hearts of men. :hide: Remember if all else fails you can run away to Somalia and become a pirate. :pirate3:

Well you know it's always the quiet ones you least suspect - three years from now you'll probably find out he's been having orgies with lesbian identical twins. Or was that just a dream I had...?

I had that same problem for quite a while, think it was on mirtazapine. To this day there are still conversations which I can remember happening, but can never bring up in case it turns out they weren't real.

That's ok, I have the attention span of a gerbil anyways, so when somebody PMs me it makes a pleasant surprise, but when they forget it doesn't bother me.

I'm off to Bedfordshire now, so I'll wish you goodnight.
Aargh dissertation, the word that strikes fear into the hearts of men. :hide: Remember if all else fails you can run away to Somalia and become a pirate. :pirate3:

Well you know it's always the quiet ones you least suspect - three years from now you'll probably find out he's been having orgies with lesbian identical twins. Or was that just a dream I had...?

I had that same problem for quite a while, think it was on mirtazapine. To this day there are still conversations which I can remember happening, but can never bring up in case it turns out they weren't real.

That's ok, I have the attention span of a gerbil anyways, so when somebody PMs me it makes a pleasant surprise, but when they forget it doesn't bother me.

I'm off to Bedfordshire now, so I'll wish you goodnight.

Haha, that is true. At least I am almost done with this one, get to start a second one next year ><

Haha, that would shock me in equal manor, but would provide good gossip. Maybe if you are one of two lesbian twins, you should set that up :tongue:

I think I last had it myself on mirtazapine, as opposed to vivid dreams, having dreams that are perfectly normal but I remember. I have told my GP, but he seems to like the meds I am on, so wants to stick to them for now.

Ah, well still, for the time of you reading this, you can know that I have thought of you twice before, but the PM never made it to you (more than twice, as your PM window was sticking around in my browser while I wrote it over several days!)

Night, sleep well!
Recommend me a nice tasty cider please! I prefer magners, then koppaberg, bulmers, lastly strongbow, is scrumpy jacks worth it? Is it a great cider? Thanks
Original post by Rich_183
Recommend me a nice tasty cider please! I prefer magners, then koppaberg, bulmers, lastly strongbow, is scrumpy jacks worth it? Is it a great cider? Thanks

I doubt you'd like scrumpy jack if that's your order of preference. You've picked the really sweet light ones first, scrumpy jack isn't the same kind of cider.
1 litre water
250 ml of carton apple juice
1 cup sugar
1 pkg (6 g) active dry yeast.

Superwolf: I'm attempting to follow your/my recipe for cider but 250ml of apple juice doesn't seem like a lot, is that really all that is needed? I don't remember from the last time I made it.
Reply 307
Hurrah, the Freshers' Guide to Alcohol here no longer refers to cider as "looney juice". :p:
Reply 308

Can you send me a bottle of your pear and vanilla cider? Pretty Please? :puppyeyes:
Reply 309
Original post by Sabertooth
1 litre water
250 ml of carton apple juice
1 cup sugar
1 pkg (6 g) active dry yeast.

Superwolf: I'm attempting to follow your/my recipe for cider but 250ml of apple juice doesn't seem like a lot, is that really all that is needed? I don't remember from the last time I made it.

Yep, that's it. But I suspect the more juice or you put in, the stronger it'll be (must try learning the science behind this some time), so go nuts.

Original post by GQ.
Can you send me a bottle of your pear and vanilla cider? Pretty Please? :puppyeyes:

:console: I would if I didn't think it would most likely explode all over some poor postman. Also it doesn't keep for long (this is in no way just an excuse for why I drink it all in the shortest time possible).
Yep, that's it. But I suspect the more juice or you put in, the stronger it'll be (must try learning the science behind this some time), so go nuts.

:console: I would if I didn't think it would most likely explode all over some poor postman. Also it doesn't keep for long (this is in no way just an excuse for why I drink it all in the shortest time possible).

Surely the sugar controls how strong it is, hence the large amount of sugar?
Reply 311
Surely the sugar controls how strong it is, hence the large amount of sugar?

But juice also contains sugar (fructose I'm guessing), so surely the amount of juice would also affect it? **** it, I'm gonna find myself a biologist.
But juice also contains sugar (fructose I'm guessing), so surely the amount of juice would also affect it? **** it, I'm gonna find myself a biologist.

True, I thought that after posting. I believe the pure sugar changes the strength more, the juice affects the sweetness of the cider maybe?
Reply 313
True, I thought that after posting. I believe the pure sugar changes the strength more, the juice affects the sweetness of the cider maybe?

I have created a thread in the hopes of learning more.

I saw a thread the other day where someone was thinking of taking 'brewing and distilling studies'. I think I missed my calling. :sigh:
Reply 314
Off to the supermarket today to get some yeast and juice for my first attempt :biggrin:
I have created a thread in the hopes of learning more.

I saw a thread the other day where someone was thinking of taking 'brewing and distilling studies'. I think I missed my calling. :sigh:

Haha, I agree, that sounds a lot more interesting than cs!
Reply 316
Original post by hobo06
Off to the supermarket today to get some yeast and juice for my first attempt :biggrin:

Excellent! The cider society stands fully behind you, comrade.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Reply 317
Excellent! The cider society stands fully behind you, comrade.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I shall do! Just waiting for dinner and the kitchen to be clear and then I'll get started. Where's best to store it whilst it's fermenting? Will temperature affect it much? I'm thinking in the shed, as it's really the only place it won't be disturbed.
I'll follow the instructions in the OP for my first attempt, and then maybe further experiment from there. What brand of cider would you most liken it to?
Apple and mango cider. Day 1. :cool:

Put extra juice in in the hope that it makes it even more tasty. :drool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 319
Roughly how much sugar should go in, in grams or whatever?

And upon further reading, apparently I've bought crap yeast for cider (baking yeast), ah well, I'll give it a try, trial and error and all

Quick Reply

Latest