The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by raspberryswirl
Henney's is my all time faaaaavourite cider, I love it so. Have you ever been to the Weston's factory? I went on a cider cycle tour around Hereford for my birthday and we went for a tour around Westons, it was ace, you were allowed to sample any of the ciders and perries that they sell! We sampled LOTS. I would recommend it.

I have yet to find a decent commercial perry that I like, unfortunately. Gregg's Pitt perry is amazing though.

I've not been to Westons, but I have been to Dunkertons in herefordshire and technically I have also been to Grimpstonleigh. The latter of which is literally one guy and his son in their barn as far as I can tell. At the time it was only for sale from the guy who made it.

I do intend to visit more cider mills and ale breweries sometime. Free samples are always nice!
Reply 81
Original post by Manitude
I've not been to Westons, but I have been to Dunkertons in herefordshire and technically I have also been to Grimpstonleigh. The latter of which is literally one guy and his son in their barn as far as I can tell. At the time it was only for sale from the guy who made it.

I do intend to visit more cider mills and ale breweries sometime. Free samples are always nice!

Maybe if the society's a success we could organise a field trip sometime.
Reply 82
Original post by superwolf
Maybe if the society's a success we could organise a field trip sometime.

Given that the members will be from all over the country, with perhaps a bias towards the west country, that may be difficult.
But if it's convenient for me then I might be interested I suppose.
Given that the members will be from all over the country, with perhaps a bias towards the west country, that may be difficult.
But if it's convenient for me then I might be interested I suppose.

If organised enough in advance to book cheap coach tickets / etc, don't see why it wouldn't work.
Reply 84
Original post by rmhumphries
If organised enough in advance to book cheap coach tickets / etc, don't see why it wouldn't work.

Having tried to book a coach for a large number of people recently "Cheap" is not really going to happen.
I was getting numerous quotes where the price of a one way coach was about the same per person as the return bus journey required. In the end I decided not to book the coaches at all.
In this case the coaches would probably need to stop at a number of places to make it easier for everyone, which is going to increase the cost dramatically.

But if someone has a few hundred pounds to spare then go for it.
Reply 85
Having tried to book a coach for a large number of people recently "Cheap" is not really going to happen.
I was getting numerous quotes where the price of a one way coach was about the same per person as the return bus journey required. In the end I decided not to book the coaches at all.
In this case the coaches would probably need to stop at a number of places to make it easier for everyone, which is going to increase the cost dramatically.

But if someone has a few hundred pounds to spare then go for it.

I think rmhumphries meant cheap coach tickets as in megabus, rather than hiring a private coach. So if we all got the cheapest possible tickets to one place and then went on together from there, it might not necessarily cost that much. Anyway, it was just an idea for the vague and distant future, it popped into my head so I thought I'd mention it.
Reply 86
I think rmhumphries meant cheap coach tickets as in megabus, rather than hiring a private coach. So if we all got the cheapest possible tickets to one place and then went on together from there, it might not necessarily cost that much. Anyway, it was just an idea for the vague and distant future, it popped into my head so I thought I'd mention it.

Well the most central place that's easy to get to from most places would probably be birmingham, which has the added bonus of not being too far from cider country.
Reply 87
Well the most central place that's easy to get to from most places would probably be birmingham, which has the added bonus of not being too far from cider country.

Sounds good to me. I'll be in Manchester from september, which I'm guessing can't be more than a couple of hours away from Birmingham, so if this society's still a going concern by then I'll maybe see if we can get some people together.
Reply 88
Sounds good to me. I'll be in Manchester from september, which I'm guessing can't be more than a couple of hours away from Birmingham, so if this society's still a going concern by then I'll maybe see if we can get some people together.

Well I'll still be in lancaster for the next three years, except in holidays where I'll be at home (not too far from liverpool...but not too close either!!)

This ^^ And Birmingham works well for me. But, also depending on what/any drivers we have, say we all coached / drove to Birmingham, then we could drive down to smaller villages / etc if that was cheaper than buses - although that would mean we would have to consider staying overnight for the drivers benefit -> just an idea to consider though.
Reply 90
Original post by rmhumphries
This ^^ And Birmingham works well for me. But, also depending on what/any drivers we have, say we all coached / drove to Birmingham, then we could drive down to smaller villages / etc if that was cheaper than buses - although that would mean we would have to consider staying overnight for the drivers benefit -> just an idea to consider though.

I smell the beginnings of another booze-fuelled camping trip... :colone:
I smell the beginnings of another booze-fuelled camping trip... :colone:

Seems like this is going to become a regular occurance - I like this xD
Haha at all the planning for a cider drinking meet :lol:

Remember....please drink responsibly :ahee:
Reply 93
Just had a sly taste of the cherry cider. It's shaping up pretty good. :biggrin: Should have reached full potential by friday.
Ahh cider, my one true love :daydreaming:

I'm up for the idea of an online piss-up :cheers:
Maybe if you come torwards the South Devon mark, or in South East during term time I'll come and join the piss up :p:
Reply 96
Currently racking my cider. The new siphoning method is going well, except for a small incident when some of it went up my nose. :mmm: I shall be having a celebratory drink after.
I am trying to give my liver a rest for a little while but i am really craving alcohol right now :teeth: I would literally kill for a cider right now :eek:
Reply 98
BROTHERS TOFFEE APPLE CIDER. that will be all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Damn that cider's strong. Only three glasses and I'm away.

Quick Reply

Latest