The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for entry 2012 :]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by deby_4
Ah well done!
I'm hopefully sending my application off on Monday, I hope it's not too late :/
Congratz again on your offers :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: Nah it won't be too late, good luck! Might end up at the same place
Reply 61
Hello everyone! :smile: So I will be one more addicted of geography :biggrin:
1. I won't tell about this one, because I am not from UK, so it is bit different :biggrin:
2. BA (and 2 of my chose courses are geography and social anthropology and in Lancaster geography/North America :smile: )
3. 100% for St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Lancaster. 2 others I have to choose from Glasgow, Exeter, Bristol or Dundee, and I am not sure. I think one will be Glasgow, but another one... Maybe someone could give me an advice? :smile:)

GOOD LUCK FOR EVERYONE!!!!! :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Sent my off to my old school for a reference last week :smile:
Applied to Southampton for Population & Geog, Newcastle for Geog & Planning, Dundee for MA Geog, Keele for Single Honors Geog and UWE for BA Geog :smile:
Have now had two offers for Geography:
BA Human Geography at Leicester ABB
BA Economics and Geography combined at Leeds AAA :biggrin:
really happy!
Reply 64
I agree with everyone,this post rocks!
I'm applying from California so my situation is a little different, especially since our curriculum isn't as limited.
I've taken two years of environmental science, lots of history courses and supplemental classes at community college which all feature strong geographical themes.
I know this isn't helpful anymore since the PS are already in,but for my experience I mentioned working in the Panamanian rainforest, starting a 'Greenhouse Club' at school, working at the local farmers market on Sundays, teaching English to indigenous Kuna in central america, working in orphanages in Senegal and Barcelona, etc.

I applied to Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh and LSE. I heard Durham has an amazing Geography program!
I'm so nervous to hear back.
The schools only looked at my standardized test scores, which were good, but they don't care whatsoever about our transcript/letter grades from school. Its very different. I've heard that, if I get accepted, it will be an unconditional offer rather than conditional, considering my academic transcript doesn't actually matter.

Has anyone heard back? Are any of you international applicants?
Reply 65
Original post by Brigitta
Hello everyone! :smile: So I will be one more addicted of geography :biggrin:
1. I won't tell about this one, because I am not from UK, so it is bit different :biggrin:
2. BA (and 2 of my chose courses are geography and social anthropology and in Lancaster geography/North America :smile: )
3. 100% for St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Lancaster. 2 others I have to choose from Glasgow, Exeter, Bristol or Dundee, and I am not sure. I think one will be Glasgow, but another one... Maybe someone could give me an advice? :smile:)

GOOD LUCK FOR EVERYONE!!!!! :smile:)

bristol is good
Original post by mespannerhanz
Have now had two offers for Geography:
BA Human Geography at Leicester ABB
BA Economics and Geography combined at Leeds AAA :biggrin:
really happy!

Congrats! It seems that Leeds are giving offers quite quickly! When did you send your application?
Original post by heavencanwait_
I couldn't find any threads for this, if there is one feel free to tell me!
Anyway..
This is just for a general chat, and to talk about what people are doing etc ^.^

And..
1) What subjects are you currently studying?
2) What degree are you considering? (human, physical, both BSc/BA/MSci, with study abroad etc)
3) Where are you thinking of applying?

1) Geography, Psychology, Maths and History; predicted A*A*AB
2) BA and one BSc
3) Durham, Exeter, LSE, Bristol (BSc) and Lancaster

I've sent my application last weekend. Looking forward to hearing from them!!
Original post by pinacio
Congrats! It seems that Leeds are giving offers quite quickly! When did you send your application?

cheers! yes they were quite quick, it was processed 6th October, and they sent an acknowledgement last week saying we aim to get back to you in 4-6 weeks, but 5 days later = offer!! :smile:
Reply 69
Got an offer from royal holloway todayy :biggrin:
Original post by mespannerhanz
cheers! yes they were quite quick, it was processed 6th October, and they sent an acknowledgement last week saying we aim to get back to you in 4-6 weeks, but 5 days later = offer!! :smile:

Wow that's quick! I gave up Leeds and decided Exeter at last! Shame:s-smilie:
Reply 71
1) I'm studying Geography, Physics and ICT
2) have applied to study Geography Bsc for my choices
I have received an offer from Northumbria for 300 ucas points :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello!
1) Studying Geography, History, English Literature (mandatory General Studies) and dropped Art
2) I've applied for BA courses but I really like the science stuff too!
3) Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Lancaster and Dundee

I've had a conditional offer from Lancaster :smile:
It's cool hearing so many people are applying to Leeds, I live here ^^
Durham, Exeter, Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway and Birmingham. I loved them all!

Geography BSC.

If anyone cares to learn why I'm not in the best mood though, you're welcome to PM me.
Hi there,

I'm considering applying for Geography for 2012 entry, or deferred entry for 2013. However, I'm doing Advanced Higher Geography and I hate it. There's practically no theory to the course, and it's pretty much just learning data processing techniques and statistics from books. Just wondering if this means I shouldn't apply for Geography? I loved it in higher, but I honestly can't stand it this year, and it's making things pretty difficult for me regarding the application process.

Any thoughts are appreciated :smile:
Original post by escapingthefate
Hi there,

I'm considering applying for Geography for 2012 entry, or deferred entry for 2013. However, I'm doing Advanced Higher Geography and I hate it. There's practically no theory to the course, and it's pretty much just learning data processing techniques and statistics from books. Just wondering if this means I shouldn't apply for Geography? I loved it in higher, but I honestly can't stand it this year, and it's making things pretty difficult for me regarding the application process.

Any thoughts are appreciated :smile:

Uhmm, I think that you will enjoy Geography at most universities because even though there often is a statistics and techniques module which I think may suggest that the other modules on human and physical will be looking less at techniques and more at case studies. Is that the part of Geography you enjoy more?
However a lot of research based Universities will probably want to focus on techniques ..
What else would you apply for if not Geography :redface:?

By the amount of times I said 'I think' I don't think this was a particularly helpful reply... >< but I was excited because it seems like you're an escape the fate fan. :biggrin:
Original post by HotfireLegend
Durham, Exeter, Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway and Birmingham. I loved them all!

Geography BSC.

If anyone cares to learn why I'm not in the best mood though, you're welcome to PM me.

hey, i've applied to durham, exeter and royal holloway too :smile: got offers from exeter and royal holloway though :biggrin: but anyway, what's wrong?
Original post by rainbowmagpie
Uhmm, I think that you will enjoy Geography at most universities because even though there often is a statistics and techniques module which I think may suggest that the other modules on human and physical will be looking less at techniques and more at case studies. Is that the part of Geography you enjoy more?
However a lot of research based Universities will probably want to focus on techniques ..
What else would you apply for if not Geography :redface:?

By the amount of times I said 'I think' I don't think this was a particularly helpful reply... >< but I was excited because it seems like you're an escape the fate fan. :biggrin:

No no, it was of help :smile: I'm thinking of applying for something Biology related - either just a general Biology degree or maybe just Zoology :smile:

I am really worried about the Advanced Higher stuff, I just hate it all so much :L But I don't know if thats because I'm not applying the techniques to actual work that I've done myself.

And I am indeed an Escape the Fate fan ;D haha
Original post by escapingthefate
No no, it was of help :smile: I'm thinking of applying for something Biology related - either just a general Biology degree or maybe just Zoology :smile:

I am really worried about the Advanced Higher stuff, I just hate it all so much :L But I don't know if thats because I'm not applying the techniques to actual work that I've done myself.

And I am indeed an Escape the Fate fan ;D haha

Oh I see, I have heard that University study of Geography is more like the second year of 6th form, so the A2 stuff but I'm pretty sure that there will be more application of technique at Uni, it definitely won't be all out of a book.
I think if you want variety and stuff, Geography would be better because you could always take it down the Biology route in conservation? But I'm not sure because there are many parts of biology/zoology that don't come into Geography.

Woo, hi fellow Escape The Fate fan :smile:
1) Access to HE in Science
2) BSc Geography
3) * Greenwich
* Queen Mary, St Mary's
* St Mary's University College, Twickenham
* Kingston
* King's College London

As you can tell I'd like to study in London but am really unsure of what my chances are or even if I'm not being ambitious enough.

Also, does anyone know if an Access to HE student is more/less likely to be asked to come in to be interviewed? It's not that I'm not confident in myself, just whether if I'll have both the time/money to potentially travel to London(3.5 hours travel) 5 times.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest