The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Languages

Hi,
I went to the Sheffield open day yesterday and am interested in doing Maths and German together.
Firstly does anyone do a language as a minor? Or if you learn a language in the modern lanuages teaching centre?
Also, at the lecture the german lecturer was a bit.....haha Is he good at teaching?
(edited 12 years ago)
Is this your course? http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=4848012012

Looking at the first year modules you seem to still do quite a lot of German (even though it's a minor), I suppose because it doesn't look like you have any unrestricted credits. In which case if you want to learn a language at the MLTC you wouldn't have it count towards your degree and I think you'd have to pay. My language is an even split, so no minor. So I can't advise on that but I don't think it makes a lot of difference tbh, aside from the obvious credit split. Do you have any specific questions for people to answer?

I don't know the lecturer in question but a lot of lecturers are a bit funny. Of course he may have been trying to make the intro lecture interesting and I imagine he would be fine as a tutor. I would maybe consider deleting his name from here though, just in case he googles himself!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by -honeybee-
Is this your course? http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=4848012012

Looking at the first year modules you seem to still do quite a lot of German (even though it's a minor), I suppose because it doesn't look like you have any unrestricted credits. In which case if you want to learn a language at the MLTC you wouldn't have it count towards your degree and I think you'd have to pay. My language is an even split, so no minor. So I can't advise on that but I don't think it makes a lot of difference tbh, aside from the obvious credit split. Do you have any specific questions for people to answer?

I don't know the lecturer in question but a lot of lecturers are a bit funny. Of course he may have been trying to make the intro lecture interesting and I imagine he would be fine as a tutor. I would maybe consider deleting his name from here though, just in case he googles himself!

Yes that is my course :smile:
What course are you doing? :smile:
So would I still learn the german section in the jessop west building?
Ermm not sure about specific questions as such...not yet.
Haha yeah i suppose so....of yeah i have now thanks!! :colondollar:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Yes that is my course :smile:
What course are you doing? :smile:
So would I still learn the german section in the jessop west building?
Ermm not sure about specific questions as such...not yet.
Haha yeah i suppose so....of yeah i have now thanks!! :colondollar:

Yeah I'm sure you'll be with all the other people doing German, you'll just have less German modules. Although you probably will end up in the same position as a lot of people doing a Modern Lang degree as you could have 80 credits Maths and 40 credits German, for example. People doing 3 languages will have 40 of each (or 60, 40, 20). Languages aren't just in Jessop West though, you could end up all over. My course is English and French, so similar but mine is a 50/50 split.
Reply 4
Yeah I'm sure you'll be with all the other people doing German, you'll just have less German modules. Although you probably will end up in the same position as a lot of people doing a Modern Lang degree as you could have 80 credits Maths and 40 credits German, for example. People doing 3 languages will have 40 of each (or 60, 40, 20). Languages aren't just in Jessop West though, you could end up all over. My course is English and French, so similar but mine is a 50/50 split.

Ahh ok then :smile: Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Ooh cool...are you enjoying your course?
Sorry to be a bit nosey but how're you finding sheffield uni as a whole? :smile:
Reply 5
I did French with the MLTC last semester and enjoyed it. I didn't self fund, but the prices were reasonable and I would have considered it value for money :smile:
Ahh ok then :smile: Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Ooh cool...are you enjoying your course?
Sorry to be a bit nosey but how're you finding sheffield uni as a whole? :smile:

Yes I like the split, best of both worlds really. Languages dept is good. As is the uni. The union has just been re-done and was voted 1st in the country not that long ago. Uni's really close to the city centre but the accomdation (Endcliffe/Ranmoor) is far enough out so it's not noisy etc but you can still walk places. The area around the uni is also nice. I really like it :smile:
Reply 7
Yes I like the split, best of both worlds really. Languages dept is good. As is the uni. The union has just been re-done and was voted 1st in the country not that long ago. Uni's really close to the city centre but the accomdation (Endcliffe/Ranmoor) is far enough out so it's not noisy etc but you can still walk places. The area around the uni is also nice. I really like it :smile:

Awww that all sounds v v good :biggrin: even if you are a little biased being a student yourself :P
Im just wondering if its too close to home as im from york....how far away did you live?
Awww that all sounds v v good :biggrin: even if you are a little biased being a student yourself :P
Im just wondering if its too close to home as im from york....how far away did you live?

Obviously I would say it's really good but everyone else says the same. Have you been on an open day yet? People who do often say that it has a nice 'atmosphere'.

I live an hour away. I know loads of people who live fairly near but it doesn't mean you have to go home all the time. Your parents aren't just going to turn up lol so really it's an advantage as if you do want to go home it's cheaper and you don't have to spend so long on the train. The only 'disadvantage' I can think of (and I'm not sure it really is) is that there may be a higher proportion of people from your school applying. But there were only 5 other people from my year going to Sheff so not too bad.
Reply 9
Obviously I would say it's really good but everyone else says the same. Have you been on an open day yet? People who do often say that it has a nice 'atmosphere'.

I live an hour away. I know loads of people who live fairly near but it doesn't mean you have to go home all the time. Your parents aren't just going to turn up lol so really it's an advantage as if you do want to go home it's cheaper and you don't have to spend so long on the train. The only 'disadvantage' I can think of (and I'm not sure it really is) is that there may be a higher proportion of people from your school applying. But there were only 5 other people from my year going to Sheff so not too bad.

I have been on an open day and did really like it so... :biggrin:
Oh i see...yeah i probably live about an hr away too...
Yeah i guess your right, nearby but not too close (ie the same city as where you currently live!!!)
Apparantly loadss of people from my school go to newcastle but even if i wanted to go there they dont do my course!!! :/
It would be nice having people you already know there though so you dont feel as lonely at the start...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending