The Student Room Group

Alevel grades and external circumstances

If a close relative passes away relatively close to the alevel exams, what happens if i inform the exam officer. Will it make any difference
I think they add a note on the side of your grades so universities can see that your grades may have been affected by mitigating circumstances and thus be a bit more lenient.

..don't quote me on that though. Ask your college/school.
Reply 2
Original post by gunit14
If a close relative passes away relatively close to the alevel exams, what happens if i inform the exam officer. Will it make any difference

You get a maximum of 5% extra, if i'm not mistaken.
Reply 3
Original post by Vulpes
You get a maximum of 5% extra, if i'm not mistaken.

Pretty sure that's the situation with regard to leniency from exam boards as it's an official process. There is nothing to say that a uni can't accept you if you miss the grades, or can only let you in if you only drop one grade, for example. That's entirely up to the uni, so is likely to vary between unis. At the same time, they don't have to take it into account at all. If two candidates missed the offer by the same amount, it's just logical that the one with the bereavement would stand more of a chance as missing the offer isn't likely to be all their fault due to not putting enough work in etc.
Reply 4
Original post by gunit14

i believe the exam boards define a close relative as being either a parent, grandparent or sibling if one of them should die, you should be awarded 5% extra marks on top of those you achieved, assuming they accept that this affected your performance if it wasn't exaclty at the same time as exams. Say April and they definitley should any earlier and I can't be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending