The Student Room Group

Worried about GCSE results day.

Hi guys as you know it GCSE exam month :frown:. I am scared i won't get 5 a-c including English & maths. I need these GCSE to get into my sixth form and by the way I have not applied to any other sixth forms or colleges. I have revised hard but what happens if the result are bad :frown: and I won't get into sixth form ?? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry, it is normal to be nervous, im sure most people are (including me :tongue: )

Even if you don't get the results you can always resit, and then apply next year x
Reply 2
Original post by Pixie_95
Don't worry, it is normal to be nervous, im sure most people are (including me :tongue: )

Even if you don't get the results you can always resit, and then apply next year x

How would i do resits
Reply 3
Original post by Asatar
How would i do resits

Look, no need to worry. If you try your best, you won't feel so bad about it, it's the best you could've done and considering worst comes to worst and your results are not exactly 5 A-Cs, you can always try and show them your dedication to your studies and offering to retake your GCSE exams alongside your AS levels.
Dude i was like that when i did my GCSEs. I was proper pooing myself the night before results day. Came to find out i did quite well. You'll be fine man, trust me, i'm no smart ass geek or whatever. I did do revision, like 2 weeks before GCSEs and during my exam period, so i'm sure you will be fine. You will probs surprise yourself with better than expected grades, if anything.
Reply 5
Original post by Asatar
How would i do resits

Your secondary school should allow you to do the again, if your applying to your sixform then you should be able to retake whilst doing A levels.
Reply 6
I'm nervous too but i just wanna get it over and done with - i'm gonna have to know what i got sooner or later. In fact, it really annoys me that we don't get the results sooner because it looks like i'm gonna spend all my summer holiday thinking about my results..
Reply 7
Original post by Pixie_95
Your secondary school should allow you to do the again, if your applying to your sixform then you should be able to retake whilst doing A levels.

I think my school only would only let me do retake if i get a d :frown:. So far i got two equivalent gcse for my sciences :biggrin:. And for maths I am pretty sure I will get c or above. For ict I think I did well also for resistant materials. Just worried about English language. If i get D in English language I am sure they should let me do a retake. But the main thing I am worried is that I want to make my mum and my dad proud because two of my brothers just flopped the GCSE exams. My third brother did well and got all his GCSE and then did not want to do sixth form or any type of study. But i want to show my mum that I did my GCSE did my a level did a degree and make her proud.
Reply 8
Original post by Asatar
Hi guys as you know it GCSE exam month :frown:. I am scared i won't get 5 a-c including English & maths. I need these GCSE to get into my sixth form and by the way I have not applied to any other sixth forms or colleges. I have revised hard but what happens if the result are bad :frown: and I won't get into sixth form ?? :frown:

I haven't applied for any other colleges too and I'm actually scared now :/

But hey, just be proud of what you get.

I'll be damn proud because I know I put a decent amount of effort!

Dude you know where I am, if you wanna talk :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Asatar

I think my school only would only let me do retake if i get a d :frown:. So far i got two equivalent gcse for my sciences :biggrin:. And for maths I am pretty sure I will get c or above. For ict I think I did well also for resistant materials. Just worried about English language. If i get D in English language I am sure they should let me do a retake. But the main thing I am worried is that I want to make my mum and my dad proud because two of my brothers just flopped the GCSE exams. My third brother did well and got all his GCSE and then did not want to do sixth form or any type of study. But i want to show my mum that I did my GCSE did my a level did a degree and make her proud.

It's not as difficult as you think to get a C in English. My friend who is really bad at English and really thought he'd failed came out with a C. If you even wrote an essay and answered the questions you'll probably get a C. Anyway, what's done is done, don't worry about it now and just enjoy the holidays whilst you can!
Like everyone else says don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do to change your grades now, so there's little point in worrying. Although I'm an A level student (and I'll be sh**ting myself on results day)

Depending on what grades you get, you may be able to resit, or if you get decent enough grades in your main subjects (english maths and science - plus any you intend to continue at a level) they will probably let you in.
I didn't do so great in my GCSES, and I ended up coming out with only 4 and a half above a C. It's not something I'm proud of, but then I was going through a really rough time in secondary school. I got into college on a trial and came out of my first year with three C's at AS. I'm proof that the number of GCSE's you get doesn't always have an impact on your A levels.

Good Luck :smile:
Are you sure you've done not as well as you wanted to? Remember, the examiners mark the papers positively, as in they give you the marks for what you've done rather than deducting marks for things you haven't done.
Good luck!
Reply 12
Hey Asatar, don't worry, your mum will be proud, no matter what, that's what they're for =] Also, I'm sure you'll get your 5A-C's, you sound like you worked very hard for them, so you deserve them. If not, your Sixth Form should let you re-sit them,

Hope I helped, good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Asatar

Aww thats so sweet, im sure just by you trying that your already doing your mum proud. As other posters have said, GCSE english is not that hard to get a C in. If worst comes to worst and you get lower than a D, then maybe you can plead with your sixform and show that you will do everything you can to get higher in a resit. If they still dont let you, then take it privately at another college.

Im sure you'll do fine x
Dont worry!
Reply 15
Everyone thinks that they've done bad after they walk out of the exam room, the most agonising part of it all is waiting for results day, most of the time, you realise that you've done well and there was no reason to panic.
Even if you have done bad, there are opportunities to do your GCSE's with your A Levels depending on which college you go to.
Just don't panic and who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised!!!
Reply 16
Original post by AshTaylor
Everyone thinks that they've done bad after they walk out of the exam room, the most agonising part of it all is waiting for results day, most of the time, you realise that you've done well and there was no reason to panic.
Even if you have done bad, there are opportunities to do your GCSE's with your A Levels depending on which college you go to.
Just don't panic and who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised!!!

Thanks man that really help i pray everyday that i get 5 a-c
Reply 17
Original post by ThisIsMe<3
Like everyone else says don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do to change your grades now, so there's little point in worrying. Although I'm an A level student (and I'll be sh**ting myself on results day)

Depending on what grades you get, you may be able to resit, or if you get decent enough grades in your main subjects (english maths and science - plus any you intend to continue at a level) they will probably let you in.
I didn't do so great in my GCSES, and I ended up coming out with only 4 and a half above a C. It's not something I'm proud of, but then I was going through a really rough time in secondary school. I got into college on a trial and came out of my first year with three C's at AS. I'm proof that the number of GCSE's you get doesn't always have an impact on your A levels.

Good Luck :smile:

but you got the same as level grades as gcse grades? so clearly gcses do make a difference?
Yeah i am pretty damn worried, dont think there any spectacular cock-ups but ive just got this nasty gut feeling about my results, particularly history (which i hate anyway haha) anyway, is this worried gut feeling normal?
Original post by Dreadnought1
Yeah i am pretty damn worried, dont think there any spectacular cock-ups but ive just got this nasty gut feeling about my results, particularly history (which i hate anyway haha) anyway, is this worried gut feeling normal?

I would be pretty worried if you aren't nervous about results to be honest :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest