The Student Room Group

Computer Science and IT applicants for 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Durham would be much cheaper and, while you'd receive more grant money for studying in London, you'd probably need to get a part-time job as well, which could just add to the stress... by

That said, though, everyone is different, and likes different things. I have some mates moving as far away as possible, some going to city unis, whereas others are staying at home or opting for campus unis. It's completely up to you and your individual tastes. If you're able to, try and go to some of the sccesful applicant open days that most unis offer, and that should give you a feel for whats more comfortable for you personally. For example, Leicester and DMU are both very similar unis, but Leicester is better ranked in CompSci by quite a bit. However, I went to both and absolutely LOVED DMU, but I hated the atmosphere at Leicester. Personal preference.
Reply 61
I'm looking forward to studying Computer Science :smile:.

In order of preference:
Nottingham (BBB offer)
Royal Holloway (ABB offer)
Kent
Reading
Aberstwyth (280 UCAS points)
Reply 62
Thanks Xenite
Reply 63
Who else here is planning to definitely go Nottingham?
Reply 64
Anyone else applied for the MSci CompSci at Lancaster?
Reply 65
Original post by vgj
Thanks Xenite

M'pleasure.
Reply 66
Original post by WASDuck
Anyone else applied for the MSci CompSci at Lancaster?

Me, although I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Reply 67
Original post by Jonnyy
Me, although I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Neither have I, assuming we are all just so great it takes them a while to decide :smile:
Original post by vgj
Hey, i have an offer from nottingham, UCL, Durham and kings. I prefer UCL and Durham. I like both compsci courses. However, UCL's is better on rankings and more known internationally (i know this shouldn't affect my decision). I get the feeling that studying in london is very stressful and not sure i will like it, compared to Durham which is more of a community feel. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In terms of community feel its going to be Durham, I dont know much about UCL but Durham has the collegiate system which means that each college has their own bar, sports teams, societies, etc. which is great. I think the community feel at Durham is probably better than any other university because of that.
UCL probably does have a better reputation but obviously the main drawback will be living in London, it depends whether you want to live in a huge busy city or small quiet city (Durham) both have their positives and negatives.
Reply 69
:bumps:Put Aberyswyth as my firm for Computer Science + Industry Year (280 Points)
Reply 70
woop woop i just got interview from UCL :biggrin:
I'm still waiting to hear from UCL :frown: Which course did you apply for?
Original post by ButternutAngelhut
I'm still waiting to hear from UCL :frown: Which course did you apply for?

Me toooo. I had an Interview in the first 2 weeks of December. Have you had an Interview yet?

I know a few people who went to my interview got offers like a week ago. So i presume ours will come after the next interview day in Feb
Reply 73
Offer from Lancaster for Software Engineering :smile:
Reply 74
How is UCL for Computer Science?
Reply 75
Original post by FredrickTrott
Me toooo. I had an Interview in the first 2 weeks of December. Have you had an Interview yet?

I know a few people who went to my interview got offers like a week ago. So i presume ours will come after the next interview day in Feb

Hey was the interview on 14th december? how many are these few people do you know?
Original post by derng
Hey was the interview on 14th december? how many are these few people do you know?

Yeah it was that one (The 14th) I know 1 who definitely has an offer, and another guy, who might, but don't have much contact with.

Have you got an offer yet?
Reply 77
Original post by FredrickTrott
Yeah it was that one (The 14th) I know 1 who definitely has an offer, and another guy, who might, but don't have much contact with.

Have you got an offer yet?

i went to that one too lool
nah nothing yet, I'm kind of worried atm.
i called them up last week and they said there was some delay back in the end of December and that we should be expecting some update last week or this week (either they did for some individuals and left us or they lied)
i have a genuine feeling they will get back to us in the coming week though.
I haven't gotten an interview yet :O
Someone's not got very much chance for an offer....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by ButternutAngelhut
I haven't gotten an interview yet :O
Someone's not got very much chance for an offer....

My friend got an interview invite for CS 2 days ago and he told me that there is one more day left open for booking around mid-march...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending