The Student Room Group

AS and A-level books for subjects

Hey Guys :smile:

Just wondering if anyone could recommend me some good AS/A-level books for my subjects and any books/tips on applying for medicine :smile:

I'm taking:

Maths with stats
Biology
Chemistry
English Lit
German

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by limonade
Hey Guys :smile:

Just wondering if anyone could recommend me some good AS/A-level books for my subjects and any books/tips on applying for medicine :smile:

I'm taking:

Maths with stats
Biology
Chemistry
English Lit
German

Thank you :smile:

Maths - Edexcel (if you're doing it), have official maths textbooks for C1, C2, C3, C4 and all the applied modules.

Chemistry - AQA official textbook, the unit revision guides by John Bentham are meant to be good. chemguide and alevelchemistry are good sites :smile:
German - Wort fur wort - small vocab book came in handy
German - Wort fuer Wort, as the above poster said.
I would also recommend any kind of literature (start with something like Kafka short stories or novels like "Ich fuehle mich so 50 50") and newspaper/magazine articles, particularly the ones relevant to the topics.
Also, a decent grammar book. If you learn grammar thoroughly, everything becomes a hell of a lot easier. I'm not doing Edexcel (I do AQA), but the Edexcel German Grammar for A Level book is fantastic, so detailed and the exercises are amazing!

English lit - I was never one to use Spark notes or York notes, but some people find them helpful.
Read around the set texts, and maybe get a good book on literary criticism specific to the texts/authors you are studying.

Maths - the official maths textbooks for whatever board you're doing.
Also, revision books and revision guides, because they give you many more exam style questions to practice on.
Reply 4
This depends largely on what exam board you will be on.

Maths (Edexcel) - the official textbooks, different one for each module
Biology/Chemistry - Nelson Thornes textbooks (AQA)

Haven't done the other subjects, sorry.
Reply 5
Thank you everyone :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest