The Student Room Group

What are my chances?

Hello, I am currently studying for my a-levels. I'm entering as a private candidate; I'm predicted (by my tutors) A*AA at a-level with a further A at AS level.

My predicament becomes clear upon perusal of my GCSE results: ABBBBBCCCCD.

I did absolutely no study or revision for GCSE; I did not complete all of my coursework and only turned up to my lessons 50% of the time. I now see the error of my more naieve years and am consequently attempting to make amends.

I'm hoping to study either English or philosophy, or perhaps a combination of the two depending on the course. What are my chances of getting into a top uni?

I am 23 years old and have a good history of self motivated accomplshment. Winning national music competitions, having my music regularly played on Radio 1 etc..

Will universities take my circumstance into account and be impressed with my new found focus and enthusiasm, or am I to remain piqued on account of my GCSE results?

Thanks.
Somewhere between 1% and 99%, assuming we are only taking integer values.

More expansive answer: your GCSEs were that long ago that unis likely won't be taking them into account, as long as you passed and that D isn't English language, maths or science. The music competitions won't play a part unless you can relate them to your desire to study English or philosophy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I see, thank you for your response. No, the 'D' was in P.E, whilst the 'A' was in English. Your initial response is likely true though: time will bear the answer!
(edited 12 years ago)
Your GCSEs won't matter much to be honest, depending on how you define 'top'. They won't care much about your music but can't hurt mentioning it briefly.
Reply 4
Thanks for the information. Well I'm not looking to go to Oxbridge, I am focused on UCL mainly.
Original post by manza
Thanks for the information. Well I'm not looking to go to Oxbridge, I am focused on UCL mainly.

Just make a varied application. Couple of very competitive universities, couple you have a decent chance of getting into and one you should definitely get into. Make sure you get an offer :smile:

Which competition did you win BTW? You're not Tommy Reilly or something are you? Lol
Original post by manza
Hello, I am currently studying for my a-levels. I'm entering as a private candidate; I'm predicted (by my tutors) A*AA at a-level with a further A at AS level.

I did absolutely no study or revision for GCSE; I did not complete all of my coursework and only turned up to my lessons 50% of the time. I now see the error of my more naieve years and am consequently attempting to make amends.

I'm hoping to study either English or philosophy, or perhaps a combination of the two depending on the course. What are my chances of getting into a top uni?

I am 23 years old and have a good history of self motivated accomplshment. Winning national music competitions, having my music regularly played on Radio 1 etc..

Will universities take my circumstance into account and be impressed with my new found focus and enthusiasm, or am I to remain piqued on account of my GCSE results?

Thanks.

Universities do care about GCSEs, but if you get A*AAa at A-level then I think you'll have proven yourself as a worth candidate.

Obviously admissions rest on a lot more than GCSEs/A-level, you have to take into account your personal statement, any entrance exams, references etc as well.
Reply 7
Excellent, that sounds like good advice. Ha no, I'm not Tommy. I won the national 'Young Guitarist of the Year' competition a few years back. Lately I have just been producing music; I have been working with artists like Ms Dynamite etc. Not that that is likely to be useful on my UCAS application ha.
Original post by manza

Thanks.

What?

Original post by manza

Still competitive.

If you get an interview they will ask why didn't you do your A levels and apply to uni after your GCSEs.
Original post by MathematicsKiller
What?

If you get an interview they will ask why didn't you do your A levels and apply to uni after your GCSEs.

It said good, not complete.

They might ask, but it's not likely to be a problem. Plenty of people don't feel ready for things at 16 that they later feel ready for at 22.
Original post by manza
Excellent, that sounds like good advice. Ha no, I'm not Tommy. I won the national 'Young Guitarist of the Year' competition a few years back. Lately I have just been producing music; I have been working with artists like Ms Dynamite etc. Not that that is likely to be useful on my UCAS application ha.

Damn, I liked Tommy :tongue:

Good for you though.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by MathematicsKiller
What?

Still competitive.

I wasn't referring to my earlier academic record when talking of self motivation. I was apaphetic toward my school work in early years, as noted. My self motivation is apparent in my musical accomplishments as well as the fact that I will (if all goes to plan) be achieving A*AAa at a-level. I have studied for these a-levels in my spare time, largely on my own. I find it hard to see how this cannot be interpreted as self motivation; albeit in a more recent vein.

To quote J.A Froude: "Experience teaches slowly and at the cost of mistakes." As I have discovered, to my detriment. My motivation is now inspiring me to remedy the situation as opposed to succumbing to a paroxysm of self pity.

I see little reason as to why completing GCSEs / A levels in sequential fashion is of real significance.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending