The Student Room Group

so if you get rejected..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouLou92
if I end up missing my offer on results day, is it worth me ringing up the uni to plead my case and try and get them to take me? Because I have heard of this happening but wasn't really sure if the uni would take it seriously. Like if you missed a grade but only by a bit, would there be any point in ringing up to let them know, and pointing out anything else you have in your favour?

Also does it change things if you've missed your offer and it says rejected or if it says conditional and they're still deciding?

Yes, it's definitely worth it if it says conditional - you should point out things like previous academic performance that might go in your favour etc. If it says rejected, chances are that's their final decision, but I suppose it's always worth giving them a call - they may suggest swapping you to a different course that asks for lower grade boundaries.

You won't get anywhere without trying, and if you still don't get anywhere, you don't lose anything (apart from 20p on a phonecall!).
would it be worth inquiring into joint honours degrees or similar courses with lower grade boundaries that you know of but aren't in clearing?

sorry if that's a stupid question, but i wouldn't want to waste their time as i know it must be a busy day, and I know last year someone in my college missed her offer but talked to the people at her uni and they gave her an alternate offer for a different course (all done on the phone, track didn't offer it her)

Can't do better than refer you back to that excellent post, I'm afraid.

'If you have originally been made an offer, and not made the grades, then if the uni wants to take you, they will have decided on that before the Thursday when the results come out - which is why on results day many students open their results to see they have missed their grades slightly, but then call the uni and are told straight away "we are accepting you anyway", or in some cases "we can't take you on the exact course you applied for but there's a similar joint honours course which does have spaces, and they'd be happy to take you" etc.

If you don't get told that they will take you anyway after meeting your grades, then you have pretty much had it, because your application will have been looked over with a fine tooth comb over the past few days by the admissions tutors, and if they had places available, they have decided to give them to other people instead of you. If the university then goes on to put the course in clearing it means they are hoping they can pick up better people than you, in which case you would have to wait and see if they are still stuck in clearing later on and getting desperate, before they would consider you again.'
Original post by carnationlilyrose
x

thanks for posting that link btw :smile:

something that i haven't seen answered - if you talking to the admissions people on the phone, is it worth talking about how much you want to go to their university or is that some kind of no-no?
Original post by takethyfacehence
thanks for posting that link btw :smile:

something that i haven't seen answered - if you talking to the admissions people on the phone, is it worth talking about how much you want to go to their university or is that some kind of no-no?

Well, I guess it's a kind of sales pitch, so possibly. On the other hand, they already know you want to go, that's why you're on the phone.

That post is really useful, I think. Give rep to the OP of it! It seemed to get neglacted when it was first posted last year and it's so handy to hear it from an insider's point of view.
Reply 24
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Can't do better than refer you back to that excellent post, I'm afraid.

'If you have originally been made an offer, and not made the grades, then if the uni wants to take you, they will have decided on that before the Thursday when the results come out - which is why on results day many students open their results to see they have missed their grades slightly, but then call the uni and are told straight away "we are accepting you anyway", or in some cases "we can't take you on the exact course you applied for but there's a similar joint honours course which does have spaces, and they'd be happy to take you" etc.

If you don't get told that they will take you anyway after meeting your grades, then you have pretty much had it, because your application will have been looked over with a fine tooth comb over the past few days by the admissions tutors, and if they had places available, they have decided to give them to other people instead of you. If the university then goes on to put the course in clearing it means they are hoping they can pick up better people than you, in which case you would have to wait and see if they are still stuck in clearing later on and getting desperate, before they would consider you again.'

Original post by Rascacielos
Yes, it's definitely worth it if it says conditional - you should point out things like previous academic performance that might go in your favour etc. If it says rejected, chances are that's their final decision, but I suppose it's always worth giving them a call - they may suggest swapping you to a different course that asks for lower grade boundaries.

You won't get anywhere without trying, and if you still don't get anywhere, you don't lose anything (apart from 20p on a phonecall!).

i wish i had more rep for you guys!
yeah I think if it does happen (pessimism but hey) I'll ring up early and talk to them. I won't beg or offer false excuses or anything, I'm not into that, but if I get AAC rather than ABB like I suspect I will when the A's in what I want to do I think maybe I could explain that. I understand if they've already allocated places then there's not much I can do, but I can try if they're still undecided I guess.
Reply 25
yeah I think if it does happen (pessimism but hey) I'll ring up early and talk to them. I won't beg or offer false excuses or anything, I'm not into that, but if I get AAC rather than ABB like I suspect I will when the A's in what I want to do I think maybe I could explain that. I understand if they've already allocated places then there's not much I can do, but I can try if they're still undecided I guess.

Just wondering is this for our firm or insurance? As I may be in a similar position it seems..
Reply 26
Original post by Superstar6318
my offer is for BBC but its likely I'd get ACC or BCC or worst case scenario BCD. I have no idea if oxford brookes would still accept me and I have no insurance choice....I am screwed.

wow u just described my exact situation, same grades same uni lol biomed tho.
Original post by Adrex
wow u just described my exact situation, same grades same uni lol biomed tho.

tell me if you get in lol

what subjects do you take other than bio and chem

No, there's no point making false excuses but you have to try your hardest, which may include a little bit of begging. Have a read of this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Results_Day#You_missed_your_firm_offer.2C_and_they_won.27t_accept_you_with_lower_grades
Reply 29
No, there's no point making false excuses but you have to try your hardest, which may include a little bit of begging. Have a read of this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Results_Day#You_missed_your_firm_offer.2C_and_they_won.27t_accept_you_with_lower_grades

thanks for the link :smile:

also, was wondering what the right thing to do is if you get rejected but were only a few marks off in one subject and were getting a remark. Would the uni bear this in mind if you let them know?
thanks for the link :smile:

also, was wondering what the right thing to do is if you get rejected but were only a few marks off in one subject and were getting a remark. Would the uni bear this in mind if you let them know?

Yeah, there's a deadline that the remark has to come back by (I can't remember what it is exactly) but if it comes back as a higher grade then you'll get your place confirmed. If it comes back after the deadline then you'll probably get an unconditional offer for the following year.
Reply 31
Yeah, there's a deadline that the remark has to come back by (I can't remember what it is exactly) but if it comes back as a higher grade then you'll get your place confirmed. If it comes back after the deadline then you'll probably get an unconditional offer for the following year.

I think it's August 30th? Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 32
I think it's August 30th? Thanks for your help :smile:

August 31st. You have to get a priority remark. Not a regular one. Just a reminder =]
Reply 33
Original post by Vulpes
August 31st. You have to get a priority remark. Not a regular one. Just a reminder =]

ah okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Superstar6318
tell me if you get in lol

what subjects do you take other than bio and chem

haha i will, i took bio chem and maths and dutch so 4
and my friend who dropped bio... got a BCC offer lol racism :biggrin: jk
what did u apply for?
Original post by Adrex
haha i will, i took bio chem and maths and dutch so 4
and my friend who dropped bio... got a BCC offer lol racism :biggrin: jk
what did u apply for?