The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Username: Mike93L
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
AS: Maths (A2), Chem, Physics, History(dropped)
A2: Further Maths, Chem, Physics
Considering: Cambridge, Bath, Imperial, UCL, Durham (Maybe Bristol instead of Bath)

Applying to PhysNatSci for a few of those unis.
Original post by a.koe
Same question as i just asked the fellow before, my question is how the hell are u tying up physics and maths i mean i jst wrote somin on the lines tht its important nd is a subject ive enjoyed since i was a kid but then i go on to simply talkin about some theories nd books ive read about...etc. how dd u write about maths without soundin to technical??

I'm the same. I have all my reasons for physics but not that much for maths. am wondering if I should apply for normal physics then swap to theoretical! I haven't read any maths books and most o my experiences are physics/engineering based.
where are you applying to?
Original post by a.koe
I have rather similar grades jst no C at AS :P im applying for oxford, imperial physics and st andrews, nottingham and edinbrough for theoretical physics not 100% sure about edinbrough yet tho

goooooood luck on the PAT! What are u doin to prepare for it??

Thank you :smile:. The C was due to me messing up my second exam (I got an A in the first), hopefully it won't affect my application too much though. I've been doing a lot of maths challenge type papers, whatever I can get a hold of really, I've been told it's important to be really prepared for the maths section, even more so for the interview. Have you picked a college yet?
Original post by matthew769
How are you writing your personal statement? Just Physics and Maths? I heard Durham looked down on that

Really? Well I'm applying for physics and maths within the natural sciences course, I can't see why they would.
Original post by alexthomas93
Really? Well I'm applying for physics and maths within the natural sciences course, I can't see why they would.

I just remember reading on here somewhere that because Durham offer both Physics and Natural Sciences that they didn't want people writing PS for Physics and applying to Natural Sciences, can't remember and could be wrong though :colondollar: have a look around
Reply 185
Original post by alcimedes
I'm the same. I have all my reasons for physics but not that much for maths. am wondering if I should apply for normal physics then swap to theoretical! I haven't read any maths books and most o my experiences are physics/engineering based.
where are you applying to?

I am applying to physics at oxford and imperial, theoretical physics at st andrews and nottingham, and then maybe joint math and physics degree at edinburgh

How bout u?
Username: Vampireweekend93
GCSEs: 4a*, 7a, 1b
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, English lit, French
A2 levels: physics, maths English lit
Currently considering: Southampton, Edinburgh, Exeter, Sheffield, Leicester... really not decided haha :smile:

what's the general consensus on doing straight physics or something like astrophysics? like is one more respected than the other?
worried about my ucas and offers, mucked up my physics paper 2 last year so am having to resit :frown:
Original post by a.koe
I am applying to physics at oxford and imperial, theoretical physics at st andrews and nottingham, and then maybe joint math and physics degree at edinburgh

How bout u?

def applying Durham,Manch,Lanc. possibly Oxford and keep changing mind on 5th choice! are you planning on going into 2nd year of scottish ones or doing 5 years?
Reply 188
def applying Durham,Manch,Lanc. possibly Oxford and keep changing mind on 5th choice! are you planning on going into 2nd year of scottish ones or doing 5 years?

Im gona go for 5 years at the scottish ones mainly so i can relax the first year nd get to know the city nd ppl etc. im doin further math and sht so i supose 1st year at edinbrugh and st andrews will be easy, how come u not goin for imperial?? i dno if to go for imperial or durham yet bt i heard durham is strict on IGCSEs and extra curricular stuff and im nt so sstrong in those areas :s-smilie: btw dd u incoporate much maths into ur statement ive got like 2-3 sentences on maths bt the rest is books of physics ive read and work experience ive had etc. i dno how to put in more math tho :PP nyways gooooooood luck on ur application and PAT if ur goin to oxford pm me for nythin else peaace
Hey everyone, I'm applying for Theoretical Physics (or similar, Mathematical Physics, Maths & Physics etc) and just wondering how anyone in the same position is going about writing a personal statement? I'm not sure whether to go for a 50/50 equal maths and physics based statement or a kind of 75/25 either way. I'm applying for UCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham btw, which is quite ambitious considering my AS results weren't great :tongue:
Original post by a.koe
Im gona go for 5 years at the scottish ones mainly so i can relax the first year nd get to know the city nd ppl etc. im doin further math and sht so i supose 1st year at edinbrugh and st andrews will be easy, how come u not goin for imperial?? i dno if to go for imperial or durham yet bt i heard durham is strict on IGCSEs and extra curricular stuff and im nt so sstrong in those areas :s-smilie: btw dd u incoporate much maths into ur statement ive got like 2-3 sentences on maths bt the rest is books of physics ive read and work experience ive had etc. i dno how to put in more math tho :PP nyways gooooooood luck on ur application and PAT if ur goin to oxford pm me for nythin else peaace

can't do Imperial as have C for GCSE english so would have to sit extra english papers ( they ignore the other 15 gcses at A/A*!) I HATE english. tbh wasn't wildly keen on moving to london so the gcse thing made up my mind for mr.
my ps is lots more physics than maths as its a theoretical physics degree not phys and maths. (and I haven't that much maths stuff to chat about). read other threads and most people had only really talked about the maths more at interview. can't decide about oxf now either. I'm going backwards now and keep unmaking decisions!
Original post by 22AcaciaAvenue
Hey everyone, I'm applying for Theoretical Physics (or similar, Mathematical Physics, Maths & Physics etc) and just wondering how anyone in the same position is going about writing a personal statement? I'm not sure whether to go for a 50/50 equal maths and physics based statement or a kind of 75/25 either way. I'm applying for UCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham btw, which is quite ambitious considering my AS results weren't great :tongue:

I've got more on phys as mine are theoret phys with maths orj ust theoret phys so hoping they want that. if its maths and phys, they might want more maths but I think 75/25 would be fine as they know its hard to get relevant exp for either and the statement has to cover all 5 places. I hope mine go by grades-my ecs are embarassingly lacking!
Reply 192
Username: hdiriaur
GCSEs: 10A* 2 A
AS: Maths (A) Further Maths (A) Physics (A) French (A) ...... General (A)
A2: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French
Considering: Oxford, Manchester, Bristol, Bath, Lancaster

May swap bath for UCL or Southampton though, i cant decide.
Reply 193
Hello people,
I'm also taking Physics, Maths, Chemistry and dropped Biology.
Applying to Oxford, St. Andrews, Lancaster, and need help choosing a couple of safe bets! Sussex seems like a great choice but I live in the north west... so it would be nice to be a little closer to home. Other choices would be Nottingham, Birmingham and Bristol, although I think I'd prefer a uni in a smaller town rather than a huge city (like Oxford :wink: ).
Reply 194
Original post by Tora Shin
Hello people,
Applying to Oxford, St. Andrews, Lancaster, and need help choosing a couple of safe bets! Sussex seems like a great choice but I live in the north west... so it would be nice to be a little closer to home. Other choices would be Nottingham, Birmingham and Bristol, although I think I'd prefer a uni in a smaller town rather than a huge city (like Oxford :wink: ).

Im sorta in the same situation as u although ive chosen my other 2 choices to be edinburgh and imperial, i dont kno your grades and stuff bt considering your applying to oxford i would think of being a little more agressive with ur choices, im applying to oxford, imperial, st andrews, edinburgh, nottingham...i was goin to switch edinburgh for sussex bt i was advised against it...my A2 predictions are most likely to be in the A*A*AA-A*A*A*A range so if you got similar go for more agresive choices i wud say...
Reply 195
can't do Imperial as have C for GCSE english so would have to sit extra english papers ( they ignore the other 15 gcses at A/A*!) I HATE english. tbh wasn't wildly keen on moving to london so the gcse thing made up my mind for mr.
my ps is lots more physics than maths as its a theoretical physics degree not phys and maths. (and I haven't that much maths stuff to chat about). read other threads and most people had only really talked about the maths more at interview. can't decide about oxf now either. I'm going backwards now and keep unmaking decisions!

U hav a C in english language? Cuz ive got a C in english literature and i dont think there to strict about that i have a B in english language tho and a pretty strong personal statement so it depends on wat ur C actualy is :P
Original post by a.koe
U hav a C in english language? Cuz ive got a C in english literature and i dont think there to strict about that i have a B in english language tho and a pretty strong personal statement so it depends on wat ur C actualy is :P

you're fine-mines a C in eng lang. a couple of unis want a B or else you have to take an extra eng test. I live in newcastle so london unis are a long way off. also decided against birm for same reason.
still keep changing my mind. currently between Oxf, Durham, Lancaster, Manch,Warwick, York, sheffield. hadn't really looked at sheffield til someone mentioned it but am now tempted. think I have more chance with Warwick and not sure how good York is. changed mind about Oxf 5 times a day!
Original post by Tora Shin
Hello people,

Leeds are AAB I think. I've decided to abandon safe bets. If I blow my exams, its a Year in Industry and resits! Sussex do really well in either the Times or Guardian physics list ( my mum has subscribed for a month to Times so I could look at them-not the only reason to choose but put me off some).
Reply 198
you're fine-mines a C in eng lang. a couple of unis want a B or else you have to take an extra eng test. I live in newcastle so london unis are a long way off. also decided against birm for same reason.
still keep changing my mind. currently between Oxf, Durham, Lancaster, Manch,Warwick, York, sheffield. hadn't really looked at sheffield til someone mentioned it but am now tempted. think I have more chance with Warwick and not sure how good York is. changed mind about Oxf 5 times a day!

for oxford look at the PAT if u think u can get 50%+ on it then go for oxford if u c tht its sht hard then think twice, i looked at sheffield aswell look at st andrews or edinburgh there alright for physics (st andrews num 2-5 in most rankings) and they ask for AAA so its not to badd nyways good luck on the PAT if u decide to aply to oxford
Reply 199
Hi all,
I've nearly sorted my choices out. Applying for: St Andrews, Sheffield and Leicester. Been thinking about Manchester as it's really good, just not 100% sure about it. Also stuck choosing between Cardiff and Southampton. Southampton is 'better', but I didn't see much of it and I preferred Cardiff as a city (+ Dr Who and Torchwood are filmed there)

Any advice?

Also have you all visited your choices. I've only been to Cardiff and Southampton out of the ones I'm considering, and I've missed most of the open days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending