The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Hi guys - If you're going to manchester to do physics and you're interested in meeting up for a drink with myfriendsqrt1 and I and possibly the other tsr manchester physicist freshers, then pm me with your Facebook and we'll arrange an event or something :smile:

does it matter if I'm a stereotypical physics student and don't drink ( or talk much)? I'll help everyone find the bus home at the end of the night.
Original post by alcimedes
does it matter if I'm a stereotypical physics student and don't drink ( or talk much)? I'll help everyone find the bus home at the end of the night.

Don't worry :smile: we all are. XD

Eyes of God

Hey I don't drink either haha. Manchester will be awesome CMON!!!

Hehe, I'm going to University of Birmingham and I'm the same - something tells me that us physicists are "in a world of our own" and far removed from most other people!
Original post by PhysicsMan
Hehe, I'm going to University of Birmingham and I'm the same - something tells me that us physicists are "in a world of our own" and far removed from most other people!

maybe we're the next stage in human evolution...or maybe not
Original post by JBevan
Got into manchester physics as well with A*A*A*A and 1 UMS off the last A* :L but add me on facebook if you want and hopefully see you during freshers week! [Mod note: Please use private messages to exchange contact details]

PM me your facebook :smile:

Of course not! I'm awful at anything even remotely social. PM me your facebook :smile:
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
PM me your facebook :smile:

Of course not! I'm awful at anything even remotely social. PM me your facebook :smile:

you're a step ahead of me socially-I'm not on facebook yet but I'll sign up this week
Give it time. You'll break any social anxieties in the first week and you'll very quickly find physicists to be the quirkiest, weirdest, most amusing bunch of people you will ever meet.
I *thought* I was a stereotypical socially awkward physicist until about two days into freshers week.

I think the combination of alcohol, not being around people from sixth form and finally being able to unleash my wit on the world helped :biggrin:

So don't worry, folks! Enjoy the ride and for the love of Schroedinger, don't stay in your room with the door closed in freshers week playing WoW*!!!

*or any other game.
just found out Brain Cox is lecturing Quantum Mechanics and GR to first year Manc physics students, can't tell you how jealous I am :frown:
Reply 2030
Original post by Benniboi1
just found out Brain Cox is lecturing Quantum Mechanics and GR to first year Manc physics students, can't tell you how jealous I am :frown:

It's him and another lecturer so not sure how many he'll actually do. will tell you after Friday when we have the first one.
my Gran even watched dr who this week to see him so his appeal seems very wide.
Original post by Benniboi1

Me too! I would be like 'you totally inspired me to study physics and I shouldn't be here!'
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Me too! I would be like 'you totally inspired me to study physics and I shouldn't be here!'

he took 2 lectures this week and was apparently nice said my not very expressive brother
can anyone help me? i've to have my application in by days and i'm so worried.. i've always wanted to do chemical engineering but got talked out of it because i didn't have sufficient grades (which i almost do), but i've applied for physics!! is there anyway at uni to change to chemical engineering later? is this the right choice? is it worth suddenly changing my whole statement and everything within 1 day?
Original post by Blue7195
can anyone help me? i've to have my application in by days and i'm so worried.. i've always wanted to do chemical engineering but got talked out of it because i didn't have sufficient grades (which i almost do), but i've applied for physics!! is there anyway at uni to change to chemical engineering later? is this the right choice? is it worth suddenly changing my whole statement and everything within 1 day?

The official UCAS deadline isn't until January, so I'm assuming this other deadline is set by your school/college. At this point you have a few options:

1) Tell your school/college that you've changed/reverted course choices and want to apply directly through ucas for chemical engineering. This could take sometime as it will require a rewrite of your personal statement and perhaps references, which won't get done in 1 day so you would need to ask for more time from your school. It be difficult with regards to asking for an extended deadline and your teachers might not be very willing to change your reference.

2) Apply for Physics through UCAS. This may not seem like a good option given your wishes, but if you can't get extra time from your school it may be your only one.

One thing you can still change is the universities you apply for. If you ensure every university you apply for for physics also offers chemical engineering. Once you've applied and received acknowledgements contact the university and explain your situation. Hopefully they will be willing to change your application to one for Chemical Engineering. You should also ask to submit an alternative personal statement, but ask for a few weeks to do this

If neither of these options work, don't worry, it's not the end of the world. If you end up getting offers for physics, you can still decline them and apply through UCAS Extra once that opens, and there's also clearing after exams.

With these (and extra in particular) you should still defiantly try and provide an alternative personal statement for Chemical Engineering.

I've just notice that you asked this yesterday, so the deadline has probably passed by now. Good luck either way!
Original post by MinpoloD
The official UCAS deadline isn't until January, so I'm assuming this other deadline is set by your school/college. At this point you have a few options:

1) Tell your school/college that you've changed/reverted course choices and want to apply directly through ucas for chemical engineering. This could take sometime as it will require a rewrite of your personal statement and perhaps references, which won't get done in 1 day so you would need to ask for more time from your school. It be difficult with regards to asking for an extended deadline and your teachers might not be very willing to change your reference.

2) Apply for Physics through UCAS. This may not seem like a good option given your wishes, but if you can't get extra time from your school it may be your only one.

One thing you can still change is the universities you apply for. If you ensure every university you apply for for physics also offers chemical engineering. Once you've applied and received acknowledgements contact the university and explain your situation. Hopefully they will be willing to change your application to one for Chemical Engineering. You should also ask to submit an alternative personal statement, but ask for a few weeks to do this

If neither of these options work, don't worry, it's not the end of the world. If you end up getting offers for physics, you can still decline them and apply through UCAS Extra once that opens, and there's also clearing after exams.

With these (and extra in particular) you should still defiantly try and provide an alternative personal statement for Chemical Engineering.

I've just notice that you asked this yesterday, so the deadline has probably passed by now. Good luck either way!

yeah it's all in now I just deduced that hopefully at uni i can change! thanks anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending