The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by bistonut

"Most" seems rather over the top. I'm not sure on the exact statistics, but many schools dont even offer it, so it's wrong to say "most", and it's not even like people like us with F.maths will have much of an advantage application wise with it (and the advantage when the course actually starts will last like a term, before everyone else is up to speed). I think the only slight discrimination against not doing F.maths is when you go to a school (usually private) where they actively encourage taking it, and you don't, so unis might wonder your commitment/ability at mathematical side of physics.

What demographic are you basing the claim on? This website has a disproportionate amount of F.maths takers (and high-achievers generally, such as oxbridge applicants), and the area you live in might well be a rich one/with lots of good schools.

Well I just used the general statistics around me such as people at my school doing it etc. I didnt mean that it gives advantage on your application, but it will give you an advantage over other applicants once at university. Personally I do think it shows commiment and therefore if you have 2 same exact applicants but one has AS in F.M for example and the other applicant doesnt, theyll most probably choose the applicant with the extra AS in F.M...
Original post by a.koe
Well I just used the general statistics around me such as people at my school doing it etc. I didnt mean that it gives advantage on your application, but it will give you an advantage over other applicants once at university. Personally I do think it shows commiment and therefore if you have 2 same exact applicants but one has AS in F.M for example and the other applicant doesnt, theyll most probably choose the applicant with the extra AS in F.M...

Aye, I agree with you there, I've recommended self studying the AS quite a lot to people who want to stand out.
Yay finally found the physics thread! :biggrin:

So I've applied to Oxford for physics, Imperial for physics, UCL for NatSci, Edinburgh for physics (got an offer already), and St. Andrews for physics.

Good luck everyone!
I've heard loads of people have got interviews from Imperial already...has anyone else...if so, when did you apply?

Blaaaaaaaaah....I can't help checking my emails every hour :\
Original post by hawkingchampion

So I've applied to Oxford for physics, Imperial for physics, UCL for NatSci, Edinburgh for physics (got an offer already), and St. Andrews for physics.

Good luck everyone!

congrats on your offer. I've applied to St Andrews too
Reply 305

Good luck everyone!

Congrats on your offer. When did you apply to Edinburgh and when was the offer made? Did they have any conditions?

Did anyone else get any reply from Edinburgh so far?
Reply 306
Just got an interview from Imperial, does anybody know what the success rate is like?
Original post by jeeps
Just got an interview from Imperial, does anybody know what the success rate is like?

No idea...but I think they're probably going to be quite relaxed...most people get the offer.

Question...when did you send your UCAS (when did your school send it off?) What predicted grades did you get?
Original post by jeeps

I emailed the admissions tutor a few weeks ago. Around 21% of applicants get an offer. Not sure how many get an interview.
Reply 309
Original post by BlackPoison94
No idea...but I think they're probably going to be quite relaxed...most people get the offer.

Question...when did you send your UCAS (when did your school send it off?) What predicted grades did you get?

I sent it off on Wednesday 5th I think and I'm predicted 3 A*s and already have an A* in Maths. Have you applied to Imperial?
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Well, here's to being keen! Who's going to apply for Physics in 2012 and where are you thinking of applying? I figure, post GCSE results, AS levels, where you're thinking of applying, etc, and we'll start one of them big ol' lists!

Username: Tenaciousmonkey
GCSEs: 8A*, 2A, 1B
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, History, EPQ
Currently considering: Manchester, Lancaster, Durham, Imperial, Warwick, Leeds, St. Andrews, Bristol

C'mon, let's get this going! :smile:

Physics Applicants 2012:
Tenaciousmonkey
Star Stark
Franface
MinpoloD
Bistonut
itzRussian
RedDevilThing
vedderfan94
Samdude
alicex141
sohail.s
chalcanthite
lewisw113
icedragon
garethfarmer
James94
12fowlernic
Wisham - Interview for Manchester
soup
LastHype
A123W
Fing4
tanveer.karim
Harvo
Astronomical
matthew769
The medjai
JayReg
Miglest
thelinebass - Offer from Nottingham, interview for Manchester
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Morphius1
liketaylor777
Uoti
Steve93
BlackPoison94
chrohm
Gia_x
HillyG
hyokami
N00813
Drewpert
alvaro1994
alcimedes
a.koe
alexthomas93
MrOMacdonald
Brutal Chav
Mike93L
Vampireweekend93
hdiriaur
Mikey73
Martik
Aiden
matttheww
mrCinderella
conorordan - Offer from Nottingham
StrongthHawking
jeeps - Offer from Birmingham, interview for Imperial
hawkingchampion - Offer from Edinburgh

60 applicants and counting! Good luck one and all!

(Thanks to whoever it was that stickied this :biggrin: )

Just received a conditional from Warwick for MPhys :biggrin: AAA to include Physics and Maths :biggrin:
Original post by matthew769
Just received a conditional from Warwick for MPhys :biggrin: AAA to include Physics and Maths :biggrin:

Gotcha, I'll update the post accordingly :smile:
Original post by jeeps
I sent it off on Wednesday 5th I think and I'm predicted 3 A*s and already have an A* in Maths. Have you applied to Imperial?

Yep. Applied there but my predicted grades are noooo way as good as yours heh.
Reply 313
Original post by matthew769

Wow, well done! :biggrin:

And I didn't fill this in when I last posted but here we are..

Username: Carinaea
GCSEs: 4A*, 4A, 3B
AS Levels: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Geography. (dropped geography for A2)
Applied for: Lancaster, Sheffield, Glasgow, York and Aberdeen
Original post by Carinaea
Wow, well done! :biggrin:

And I didn't fill this in when I last posted but here we are..

Username: Carinaea
GCSEs: 4A*, 4A, 3B
AS Levels: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Geography. (dropped geography for A2)
Applied for: Lancaster, Sheffield, Glasgow, York and Aberdeen

Thank you :smile: and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 315

Good luck everyone!

Ive applied to almost the same universities, oxford physics, imperial theoretical, st andrews theoretical, edinbrugh maths and physics and theoretical physics at nottingham. Just wondering when u sent ur application, I applied on the 14th and my careers advisor said that in about 2-3 weeks i shud get an offer, bt i h8 the w8 and the checking your emails every hour xD nwyays thanks for the info dude good luck for the PAT!
Reply 316
Original post by a.koe
Ive applied to almost the same universities, oxford physics, imperial theoretical, st andrews theoretical, edinbrugh maths and physics and theoretical physics at nottingham. Just wondering when u sent ur application, I applied on the 14th and my careers advisor said that in about 2-3 weeks i shud get an offer, bt i h8 the w8 and the checking your emails every hour xD nwyays thanks for the info dude good luck for the PAT!

Are you applying as an international applicant? Would the fee for edinburgh be overseas fee or local fee - applied for 4 year or 5 year degree??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 317
Original post by mpc1
Are you applying as an international applicant? Would the fee for edinburgh be overseas fee or local fee - applied for 4 year or 5 year degree??

europe dude so local fee and the maths physics course is only available for a bachelors so 4 years
Reply 318
Original post by a.koe
europe dude so local fee and the maths physics course is only available for a bachelors so 4 years

Is it possible to have second year entry for this course? should it be indicated while applying?
Got an offer from Warwick to do Maths and Physics today :smile:

This has been a good week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending