The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi

Username: vedderfan94
GCSEs: 3A*, 6A + 2 x Distinction in ICT
AS Levels: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Latin, Religious Studies (A) and hopefully AS Further Maths in Year 13
Considering: Lancaster, Durham, Nottingham, Birmingham, UCL, Cambridge (long shot)
Added you guys to the list :smile:

Original post by bistonut
Manchester is great :biggrin: Other people find it massive, but even I, as a semi-stereotypical physics nerd who's a bit shy think it's not too big. Some parts are a little rough if you come from somewhere quiet, but i've only heard of this. Got an awesome club scene for all types of music, a good music scene (the music venues are great), loads of bars and pubs for everyone.

Loads of shops, not too busy like london, decent transport links, I actually really love it as a place, and i know students there now from other places who loved it. It is the capital of the North afterall :biggrin:

Sounds pretty cool... I've been there but only briefly. Thanks!
Reply 22
Username: alicex141
Gcse's: Not great, pretty much counting on good AS grades :smile:
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, French, Psychology
Considering: Nottingham, Edinburgh, York, Sussex, Lancaster

:biggrin:
Reply 23
User:sohail.s
GCSE's:1A* 7A's 2B's (FSMQ= A)
AS:Maths,Further Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology
A2:All of the above apart from biology
Considering/Will be applying to: Durham,Leeds,Sheffield,York
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey kids! Sorry to crash your party, but I'm an IB student living in Switzerland. Still, not to be too non-conformist (and to actually have a reason for posting here), I'll be applying to study physics in the UK, starting 2012. Unless I take a gap year, which I probably won't. I'll probably also be applying to study Physics and Philosophy as opposed to straight physics.
Anyhow, nice to meet you all. :smile:

Username: chalcanthite (chalkie is a decent nickname)
GCSEs: N/A
AS Levels: N/A
IB Diploma: Physics HL, Math HL, Chemistry HL, English A1 HL, German A2 SL, Economics SL
Currently considering: Oxford, Bristol, Manchester, Imperial (for Physics with Theoretical), and also some unis in the US and Switzerland

I was actually trying to write my Personal Statement and I ended up procrastinating by turning up here. This is going well. >_>
I've added you all to the list - nice to have you! :P
Reply 26
Just a quick warning, if anyone is considering "Astronomy, Space Science and astrophysics" at kent DON'T. Its not accredited by the IOP (which they cunningly tried to sneak through on the open day - they didn't bet on me being there to ask :P)
Original post by MinpoloD
Just a quick warning, if anyone is considering "Astronomy, Space Science and astrophysics" at kent DON'T. Its not accredited by the IOP (which they cunningly tried to sneak through on the open day - they didn't bet on me being there to ask :P)

Thanks for the heads up. Whilst on the topic, does anyone know if there are any straight Physics courses not accredited by the IOP? If there are any I assume it would be unis ranked lower for Physics. Help is appreciated.
Reply 28
Username: lewisw113
GCSEs:6A*,4A,2B,C
AS Levels: Maths, Furthers Maths, Physics and Economics
Currently considering: Oxford, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Durham or Manchester
Reply 29
Username: icedragon
GCSEs: 6A, 5B, 1C
AS Levels: Maths (A in Jan exams), Physics (A in Jan exams), Chemistry, Computing
Currently considering: Sussex, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh, Oxford
Username: garethfarmer
GCSEs: 3A*, 6.5A, 1B
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Sports studies(dropped after AS)
Currently considering: Oxford(long shot), birmingham, exeter, warwick, southampton and bristol
Added to the list! :smile:

Original post by MinpoloD

Thanks for letting us know... well done on catching them out :P
Hey guys! For those who are applying to Oxford (noticed there are at least 5 here), there's a thread for 2012-entry Oxford Applicants with an editable spreadsheet. It'd be great if you could add yourselves so we can all see who we've got and how many we've got :biggrin:
Reply 33
Username: James94
Standard Grades (Scottish GCSEs): two 2s (As) rest 1s (A*s)
Highers (Scottish AS Levels): Physics: A, Maths: A, Computing: A, Technological Studies: B, English: B
Advanced Highers (Sort of like A2s, but 10% fewer people get As), Maths, Applied Maths, Physics
Currently considering: St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt.
Not applying to English Unis as I couldn't afford the debt.
Username: 12fowlernic
GCSEs: 9A*s
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, General Studies (the most useless thing ever)
Currently considering: Cambridge, St. Andrews, Durham, Birmingham, possibly Lancaster or Bath
Both of you added!

Can I ask people in general, what kind of prep are you doing for applications? What are you all reading, summer work you're doing, etc?

And good luck for results! I hope you're all not as nervous as I am :P
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Both of you added!

Can I ask people in general, what kind of prep are you doing for applications? What are you all reading, summer work you're doing, etc?

I have subscribed to several periodicals (eg. New Scientist), have read several books (am currently halfway through a Brief History of Time because I assume everyone has already read it) and have been to a few IOP lectures. It might help if you download a few lectures from university podcasts which can be found on iTunes. Most are relatively short but it shows that you will be able to cope with uni lectures too. I'm not doing anything else over summer apart from meticulously dissecting my personal statement. It isn't going well. :frown:

Good luck to you too!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
I've bought a couple of books and been watching a lot of the stanford university lectures on itunesu along with going through my yass course. Really need to start doing more on my personal statement but I just cannot :frown:
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Both of you added!

Reading books (just finished QED and I'm now reading 'Black holes & Timewarps' by Kip S. Thorne, which I would highly recommend). I have some work experience organised for the last week of the holidays so hopefully that should be relevant and I'm going to Villiers Park in September (Chemistry course but hopefully it should be partly relevant to Physics). Also, can anyone recommend any universities in the north of england that do public physics lectures? I have searched pretty much all university physics departments in the north of england but only a few seem to do lectures and those sound uninteresting and hardly even relevant to Physics. Help is appreciated. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Did everyone get the AS results they wanted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending