The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12fowlernic
Did everyone get the AS results they wanted?

mhm :h:
Original post by Brutal Chav
mhm :h:

Is that a happy "mhm"??
Original post by 12fowlernic
Is that a happy "mhm"??

no it's a "mhm" that asks about the true nature of man's happiness and questions the philosophy behind it....

....of course it's a f**king happy one :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 43
Username: Wisham
GCSEs: 5A* 3A 2C
AS Levels: Physics (A) Chemistry (A)
A Levels: Maths (A*)
Currently considering: Manchester, Oxford, Durham, Imperial, Warwick

I am going to be doing a-level further maths next year along with chemistry and physics :smile:

What does everyone think of my chances of getting an offer from one of these places? Should i change one to a 'lower' uni?
Reply 44
oh and does anyone know what kinda stuff i could be doing to try and prepare for the pat ?
Original post by Wisham
Username: Wisham
GCSEs: 5A* 3A 2C
AS Levels: Physics (A) Chemistry (A)
A Levels: Maths (A*)
Currently considering: Manchester, Oxford, Durham, Imperial, Warwick

I am going to be doing a-level further maths next year along with chemistry and physics :smile:

What does everyone think of my chances of getting an offer from one of these places? Should i change one to a 'lower' uni?

With further maths, Warwick offers AAB for Physics - so it depends on how low you want to go for your backup offer.

As for the PAT, I'm not looking at Oxford or anything, but I've heard that practice is the way to go!
Reply 46
Hello all,

Username: soup
Int2: 8A
Highers: Maths (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), Computing (A), English (B)
Just looking at Glasgow & Strathclyde because I want to stay in Glasgow, as it is the best city.
Reply 47
Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if anyone could help me.

I got a B in AS physics by one mark (I've been cursed with this since my SATS in year 6). I need to get it up to an A but I'm not sure how (hopefully before I send off my UCAS application).

I'm concerned that my coursework wasn't properly marked by my teacher but I'm not sure what to do about it?
Also there's remarks, but they're expensive and is there much of a chance of my grades going back. The exams officer said to get my transcript(s) back. Is it possible to get my January script back as well or is it too late for that?
Finally is there anyway I can put down issues that I had with my teacher and potential resits, I was told not to resit my January Module by my teacher, and at the time there were financial concerns at home which influenced my decision. I was also not allowed to repeat the coursework to get a higher grade, there was just no one around to supervise me doing it.

If this isn't possible I plan to resit the coursework asap, but I'm guessing I won't be regraded until January, so with results in March by then it'll be too late to apply for equal consideration.

Erm... HALP?

Edit: If I can't sort this out (get an A by the time I send of my form) I have got some nice Maths(only A/S) marks, 90+, would it be beneficial to declare these on UCAS?
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok I was a 2011 applicant but just stumbled upon this thread, and couldn't help myself but put a little recommendation in here for the Physics departments at Manchester and Bristol :wink:
Bonjour!

Username: AndyLowson (Imagination wasn't 100% when i signed up...)
GCSEs: 1A*, 7A, 1B 1C
AS Levels: Physics (B), Maths (B), Chemistry (B), Business (B)
A2 Levels: Maths (C)
Currently considering: Sussex, Hertfordshire, Hull, (But a little lost)

Need abit of advice on what to look at with my grades?
I've added soup and AndyLowson to the list :smile:

Original post by MinpoloD
Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if anyone could help me.

I got a B in AS physics by one mark (I've been cursed with this since my SATS in year 6). I need to get it up to an A but I'm not sure how (hopefully before I send off my UCAS application).

I'm concerned that my coursework wasn't properly marked by my teacher but I'm not sure what to do about it?
Also there's remarks, but they're expensive and is there much of a chance of my grades going back. The exams officer said to get my transcript(s) back. Is it possible to get my January script back as well or is it too late for that?
Finally is there anyway I can put down issues that I had with my teacher and potential resits, I was told not to resit my January Module by my teacher, and at the time there were financial concerns at home which influenced my decision. I was also not allowed to repeat the coursework to get a higher grade, there was just no one around to supervise me doing it.

If this isn't possible I plan to resit the coursework asap, but I'm guessing I won't be regraded until January, so with results in March by then it'll be too late to apply for equal consideration.

Erm... HALP?

Edit: If I can't sort this out (get an A by the time I send of my form) I have got some nice Maths(only A/S) marks, 90+, would it be beneficial to declare these on UCAS?

I'm not sure if you can get your Jan script back, but if you can't, I'd say a remark is probably your best way forward... it may go up and if it goes down by a few marks, it makes no difference because your B is still a high B, so you can just retake an exam. I know that's not ideal, but I'm not sure what else to suggest...
Original post by AndyLowson
Bonjour!

Username: AndyLowson (Imagination wasn't 100% when i signed up...)
GCSEs: 1A*, 7A, 1B 1C
AS Levels: Physics (B), Maths (B), Chemistry (B), Business (B)
A2 Levels: Maths (C)
Currently considering: Sussex, Hertfordshire, Hull, (But a little lost)

Need abit of advice on what to look at with my grades?

Have you looked at Queen's University Belfast? They have a really nice Physics department and their entry requirements don't do them justice, because not many people outside Northern Ireland think to apply - they ask for BBC for Physics. Queen's is a really amazing university with quite a small but lovely physics department. More people that aren't from here should look at it! :smile:
Reply 52
Username: A123W

GCSEs: 1A, 8B, 1C
AS: Chem (E), Physics (E), Maths (E). Dropped chemistry.
Only started to revise when I reached A2 :smile:
A2: Physics (A), Maths (B)

Going back to retake chemistry AS and try ICT AS.

Considering: Aberystwyth.
Original post by A123W
Username: A123W

GCSEs: 1A, 8B, 1C
AS: Chem (E), Physics (E), Maths (E). Dropped chemistry.
Only started to revise when I reached A2 :smile:
A2: Physics (A), Maths (B)

Going back to retake chemistry AS and try ICT AS.

Considering: Aberystwyth.

Added - you got an A in Physics with an E at AS? That is IMPRESSIVE.
Reply 54
Username: Fing4
GCSEs: 3A*, 3A, 6B
AS: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A)
Considering: Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds (need 2 more)
Reply 55
Bit of advice please?
For my AS results i got A in maths and physics, a C in chemistry and a D in economics, and i am dropping economics. GCSE i got 3A*s 1A 3Bs 2Cs

I was hoping to apply to somewhere like Bristol, Nottingham... That require AAB - AAA, What are my chances of getting an offer? I'm fairly sure i could achieve AAB if i did get an offer, but What would they think of the D in economics, would it be worth retaking, or are they not too bothered what you get as a 4th AS?
Reply 56
Original post by Ouzo
Bit of advice please?
For my AS results i got A in maths and physics, a C in chemistry and a D in economics, and i am dropping economics. GCSE i got 3A*s 1A 3Bs 2Cs

I was hoping to apply to somewhere like Bristol, Nottingham... That require AAB - AAA, What are my chances of getting an offer? I'm fairly sure i could achieve AAB if i did get an offer, but What would they think of the D in economics, would it be worth retaking, or are they not too bothered what you get as a 4th AS?

If its just an AS it shouldnt be too bad, try to balance it with getting better than your offer and extracurricular stuff to help improve your chances
username:tanveer.karim
subject: im an international student, my subjects are Bengali, English, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology
applying to: manchester, oxford
Reply 58
Hello

Username: Harvo
GCSE's: 6 A*, 5 A's
AS Levels: Maths (A) Physics (A) Further Maths (A) Chemistry (A) Business & Economics (A)
Dropping Business & Economics for A2
Currently considering: Durham, Bath, Warwick, Bristol
My top choices would be Imperial or Oxford, does anyone have any idea whether I would have a decent chance of getting into these?
Original post by Harvo
Hello

Username: Harvo
GCSE's: 6 A*, 5 A's
AS Levels: Maths (A) Physics (A) Further Maths (A) Chemistry (A) Business & Economics (A)
Dropping Business & Economics for A2
Currently considering: Durham, Bath, Warwick, Bristol
My top choices would be Imperial or Oxford, does anyone have any idea whether I would have a decent chance of getting into these?

Depends on what your UMS/module grades were, I guess :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending