The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by luketaylor777
GCSE: A*AAAAABBCC
AS: AAAB

dont think I stand a chance against most people on here.

I wouldn't read into that too much if I were you, just focus on where you want to go and what you want to achieve. Your As's look pretty good :smile:, do you have any idea of where you would like to go?
Reply 101
GCSEs: 6 A*, 4.5 A
AS: A in Physics and Economics, B in French
A* in Maths A-level
A2: Physics, Economics and full Further Maths A-level
I'm also doing an EPQ
Choices: Oxford (definitely not confident) Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Southampton

I haven't completely decided on my choices... I'm also gonna apply to a lot of European Unis abroad and a couple in Canada too. I don't think my grades are that great but I may as well try for Oxford :/ Good luck to everyone :biggrin:
Original post by JayReg
I wouldn't read into that too much if I were you, just focus on where you want to go and what you want to achieve. Your As's look pretty good :smile:, do you have any idea of where you would like to go?

Manchester, sheffeild, leeds, nottingham and york :smile:
Reply 103
GCSEs: 7A* 3A 3B 1C

AS: physics 300/300, maths 290/300, biology 280/300, chemistry 252/300
continuing all at A2 + further maths AS

Choices: Bristol, Birmingham, Warwick, Sussex, Exeter
Original post by Steve93

Choices: Bristol, Birmingham, Warwick, Sussex, Exeter

Those are some insane UMS scores!
Applying for Maths and Physics here where I can.

Hoping to apply to Oxford (I don't think I stand a chance..that damn PAT test), Imperial, Warwick, UCL and Kings :smile:

I'm just scared about interviews...what the hell do they ask!?
Original post by BlackPoison94
Applying for Maths and Physics here where I can.

Hoping to apply to Oxford (I don't think I stand a chance..that damn PAT test), Imperial, Warwick, UCL and Kings :smile:

I'm just scared about interviews...what the hell do they ask!?

Generally they ask you an academic question or two to test how you approach a maths/physics question, you know, and to test your understanding, I think.
Reply 107
Original post by Steve93

Choices: Bristol, Birmingham, Warwick, Sussex, Exeter[/QUOT

even though your gcses are a little off oxbridge standards, with a 300 in physics you should give it a go!
Reply 108
Original post by Hpenros
even though your gcses are a little off oxbridge standards, with a 300 in physics you should give it a go!

Doesn't matter when compared to your PAT and interview performance. (Cambridge might care more)

Me:
GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1B
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Geography, Chemistry, Further Maths AS
AS Results: A, A, A, B, unfinished (will be A)
A2 Predictions: A*, A*, A*, A
Currently considering: Oxford, Durham, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Birmingham, Bath, Lancaster

All those universities have reasonably high offers. (Bristol say that they sometimes offer AAB). Should I apply for a university who offers ABB or a certain AAB? Which universities are good for Physics but set their offer a bit lower?
Unless I am mistaken, the personal statement can't separate people that well, can it? Maybe the reference can also.
Am I likely to receive offers from some of those 'high-offer' universities based on my results and predictions? (Excluding Oxford).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
Ok you can add me too the list :biggrin:

Theoretical Physics for most of them expect Oxford and Southampton (Physics w/ maths).

GCSEs: 7A*, 6A,
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths , Biology (dropped!)
AS Results: A, A, A, not started, A
A2 Predictions: A*, A*, A, A
Currently considering: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Sussex
Reply 110
I'm looking to apply for theoretical physics, and physics at oxford if my grades are high enough.

12 GCSE's
Physics, Maths, FMaths, Chemistry and History AS

I'm considering Oxford, Southampton, Nottingham, Warwick, Imperial and Bristol :smile:
Original post by chrohm
All those universities have reasonably high offers. (Bristol say that they sometimes offer AAB). Should I apply for a university who offers ABB or a certain AAB? Which universities are good for Physics but set their offer a bit lower?

The way my careers advisor put it (and one of my deputy heads, now that I think about it) is to apply somewhere (backup-wise) that you "think you'll be able to get an offer from". I think the point is to apply somewhere offering lower grades/somewhere you think you're more likely to bag an offer than wherever else you're applying, as long as you would be happy to go to that uni to do that specific course if you only manage to get that one offer.

(I haven't had a lot of sleep, so if that doesn't make sense, I'll rephrase it :P)

As for the PS... I've been told by various TSR members/teachers/uni staff members that it's pretty important, actually. I guess how you sell yourself in a limited space gives a pretty good idea of what you're like.
(edited 12 years ago)
A lot of people here are doing 5 AS I've noticed. I've just started my A levels but was wondering what people's personal reasons for doing so where.
Original post by NoctisXIII
A lot of people here are doing 5 AS I've noticed. I've just started my A levels but was wondering what people's personal reasons for doing so where.

Personal interest, and my school only offers Further Maths as a fifth.
Reply 114
Username: hyokami (as if you couldn't see above...)
GCSEs: 10A*s 5As
AS levels: Maths (A), chemistry (A), physics (A), biology (A)
A2: Maths, Further maths, chemistry, physics
Currently considering: Cambridge, Imperial, Nottingham, Warwick, Durham, Manchester (and many more :biggrin:)
Reply 115
GCSEs: 7 A*, 2A, 1B 1C
IB predicted 41+ B (43/45)

Going for UCL, ICL
Reply 116
Original post by NoctisXIII

In my school you were required to do four subjects at AS Level, but maths took up twice the amount of space, but only counted as one subject (as I did the whole maths A-Level in one year). Therefore 5 subjects! (I haven't actually taken any further maths exams yet) :smile:
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Well, here's to being keen! Who's going to apply for Physics in 2012 and where are you thinking of applying? I figure, post GCSE results, AS levels, where you're thinking of applying, etc, and we'll start one of them big ol' lists!

Username: Tenaciousmonkey
GCSEs: 8A*, 2A, 1B
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, History, EPQ
Currently considering: Manchester, Lancaster, Durham, Imperial, Warwick, Leeds, St. Andrews, Bristol

C'mon, let's get this going! :smile:

Physics Applicants 2012:
Tenaciousmonkey
Star Stark
Franface
MinpoloD
Bistonut
itzRussian
RedDevilThing
vedderfan94
Samdude
alicex141
sohail.s
chalcanthite
lewisw113
icedragon
garethfarmer
James94
12fowlernic
Wisham
soup
AndyLowson
A123W
Fing4
tanveer.karim
Harvo
Astronomical
matthew769
The medjai
JayReg
Miglest
thelinebass
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Morphius1
liketaylor777
Uoti
Steve93
BlackPoison94
chrohm
Gia_x
HillyG
hyokami
N00813

40 applicants and counting! Good luck one and all!

(Thanks to whoever it was that stickied this :biggrin: )

Add an offer thread in the OP, I'm getting excited :colone:
Original post by matthew769
Add an offer thread in the OP, I'm getting excited :colone:

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean?
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean?

A thread for discussion of Physics offers e.g. what university gave you an offer/rejection, the conditional grades, etc. similar to this one but instead of where you're applying, what offers you have received :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending