The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthew769
A thread for discussion of Physics offers e.g. what university gave you an offer/rejection, the conditional grades, etc. similar to this one but instead of where you're applying, what offers you have received :colondollar:

I figured I'd just add the offers by the names of the applicants when they post back here to gloat ^.^ And then presumably this thread will turn focus towards everything you've just said :smile:
Reply 121
Anyone started on their personal statement yet? I'm really struggling with mine.

And I've changed my A-level course this year so I'll update it here :smile: .

Acheived: Physics (A), Maths (B)
Currently doing : ICT (AS+A2 in a year) and Chemistry AS.

Advice please, worth resitting some maths modules to try and get an A? I need 13 UMS to get up to an A.

Good luck with your applications!
Original post by A123W
Anyone started on their personal statement yet? I'm really struggling with mine.

Advice please, worth resitting some maths modules to try and get an A? I need 13 UMS to get up to an A.

13 UMS should be pretty easy to get up to an A, and would give you access to apply to many more good unis.

I thought I had my personal statement sorted, but now i'm not so sure. I find I'm having a trade-off between it reading well, and cramming all I want to in it.
Original post by A123W

Yeah, I've done my personal statement.

Like bistonut said... definitely worth bumping up your B to an A :smile:
Reply 124
How badly do you guys think a B in AS physics will disadvantage my application?

I have an A in Maths and I'm predicted A*A in Maths and Physics (in that order). The B was one mark off and I will be resiting one module along with the coursework, and I've got a new teacher who knows the course a lot better than my previous teacher, so I'm very confident about this year.

I know maths in more important than physics at A-level so I'm hoping my A and A* prediction will 'compensate' for my physics grade. Is this likely or am I screwed?
Original post by MinpoloD

I have an A in Maths and I'm predicted A*A in Maths and Physics (in that order). The B was one mark off and I will be resiting one module along with the coursework, and I've got a new teacher who knows the course a lot better than my previous teacher, so I'm very confident about this year.

I know maths in more important than physics at A-level so I'm hoping my A and A* prediction will 'compensate' for my physics grade. Is this likely or am I screwed?

I got a B in AS Physics (ABBBB) for AS and still got 4 out of my 5 offers, Exeter,Bristol,Nottingham,Bath then a rejection from Durham on the 7th March so they were considering me.

You should be fine :smile: where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 126
Original post by Phil1541
I got a B in AS Physics (ABBBB) for AS and still got 4 out of my 5 offers, Exeter,Bristol,Nottingham,Bath then a rejection from Durham on the 7th March so they were considering me.

You should be fine :smile: where are you thinking of applying?

I'm pretty sure about Sheffield and I quite like the courses at St Andrews, Manchester, Cardiff and Leicester, but i'm not very sure currently and I can't get on to many of the websites to check out the modules.

What was your grade in maths at AS?
I'm pretty sure about Sheffield and I quite like the courses at St Andrews, Manchester, Cardiff and Leicester, but i'm not very sure currently and I can't get on to many of the websites to check out the modules.

What was your grade in maths at AS?

I got a high A but no where asked for UMS so didn't really matter in the end :smile:

What did you get in your AS's overall?
Reply 128
Original post by Phil1541
I got a high A but no where asked for UMS so didn't really matter in the end :smile:

What did you get in your AS's overall?

I got AABB, in Maths Biology, Chemistry + Physics (in that order). I've dropped biology and I'm retaking an exam in all 3 subjects

Just to let you know, A2 physics is a lot harder... Obviously. It is sooo much more interesting, but the papers are so particular and a lot of it is to do with the questions you get in the exams.. I got A in my AS and A in my first A2 module but only a B in the last exam and (becuase it is weightier) it dropped my whole grade down to a B.... Make sure you have a good back up uni because Imperial and UCL both regected me without question even though I was very close to the grade boundary of an A and got A* in maths and A in German... Gpt into York through clearing so it's fine now but BE AWARE, A2 IS HAAAAAARD
Reply 130
User Name: Drewpert
GCSE's: 6A*'s 6A's
AS Levels: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, ICT, Further Maths.
Considering Oxford, St. Andrews, Imperial College, Durham or Warwick
Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions about applying for physics :smile:
Hey guys - I know the Oxbridge deadline is coming up soon (I don't know when your schools' internal deadlines are, obviously) so now seems like a good time to wish everyone luck with their applications and whatnot.

I'm having a metaphorical drink to the idea of surviving UCAS 2012 :P

Good luck guys! Cheers!
Reply 133
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Hey guys - I know the Oxbridge deadline is coming up soon (I don't know when your schools' internal deadlines are, obviously) so now seems like a good time to wish everyone luck with their applications and whatnot.

I'm having a metaphorical drink to the idea of surviving UCAS 2012 :P

Good luck guys! Cheers!

Good luck as well,

Very glad i'm not applying to Oxbridge!

Still stuck on my choices :frown:
hey! ill apply to imperial, durham, warwick, ucl and lancaster... one question, why is ucl so low in the rankings? :frown: i will probably want to do a masters in economics/finance after my Bsc, and i really like ucl, but im not sure if i could do a masters after studying physics at ucl. id want to do it at a top uni (imperial or n. america). advice is welcome :smile:
Original post by alvaro1994
hey! ill apply to imperial, durham, warwick, ucl and lancaster... one question, why is ucl so low in the rankings? :frown: i will probably want to do a masters in economics/finance after my Bsc, and i really like ucl, but im not sure if i could do a masters after studying physics at ucl. id want to do it at a top uni (imperial or n. america). advice is welcome :smile:

When you say rankings... you mean league tables and whatnot?
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
When you say rankings... you mean league tables and whatnot?

yeah i mean league tables :smile: eg its 17 in the complete university guide...
Help on my last 2 choices for UCAS anyone? Opinions on Bristol, York, Nottingham and Manchester please :smile: From manchester so know about the place at least, and know an ace department, although that's about it
Reply 138
Can I ask a question as someone who is very interested in Maths/ Physcis?

In a Physics application to a top uni, what do they look for?
Relevant work experience?
Exam results?
EC's?
Other?

What are the most important aspects?

Original post by USB
Can I ask a question as someone who is very interested in Maths/ Physcis?

In a Physics application to a top uni, what do they look for?
Relevant work experience?
Exam results?
EC's?
Other?

What are the most important aspects?

Exam results are the main one- competency in physics (obviously) and (probably even more so) maths. Reading around the subject to show a genuine passion for the subject too. Work experience is not necessary, but helpful. Extra stuff on that doesn't make much of a difference, unless it's maths/physics/chemistry challenges, relevant summer courses etc.

It's a highly academic subject, so mainly just grades and an interest!

Quick Reply

Latest