The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I actually did both Higher's and A-levels, as I went to a boarding school for Sixth Form, so I would enter both of these "pools" I guess? I got 5 As in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, English and French at Higher and then AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Physics and B in Further Maths at A-level. St Andrews as a whole has been one of the most over subscribed universities this year and with its Physics department ranked almost top in the country I guess theres just been a ridiculous number of people applying for the places. Sorry you didn't get an offer man, good luck with wherever else you have applied!
How competitive are universities like Durham/Warwick/Bristol? I'm thinking of transferring at some point after my foundation year as my first semester results are very good and I don't particularly like physics at my current university.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
How competitive are universities like Durham/Warwick/Bristol? I'm thinking of transferring at some point after my foundation year as my first semester results are very good and I don't particularly like physics at my current university.

All 3 are quite difficult to get in. Why, whats wrong with the physics dept at your uni?
Original post by internet tough guy
All 3 are quite difficult to get in. Why, whats wrong with the physics dept at your uni?

I just dont like the physics department I am with. It doesnt feel strong and the staff are not helpful, most of the experiences I've had so far have been bad so I have little faith for 4 years here.

I'm doing the foundation year at Loughborough, Warwick accept foundation years from other universities. Most universities seem to/do not mention it. I have not long got my semester 1 results back and they far exceed what I expected/What was required of me so I was thinking of applying to other universities while in my first year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kristina_Lucy
ah I've got an interview in Lancaster on the 8th March - not sure about it though as I've pretty much made up my mind! Now the stress to get at least 1 A* begins!

are you going? I'm there on 8th too. Think Lancaster will be my insurance so want to go and look around. where are you thinking of firming?
(edited 12 years ago)

I've heard that the Physics department at Warwick isn't anything to write home about (at least, not when compared to its Maths department, which is top notch). And it's generally accepted that although Durham is a good university overall, Bristol tends to have a better reputation for science. Although, you would probably have to go to each and see for yourself to make an informed decision.
Original post by mastermind_107
I've heard that the Physics department at Warwick isn't anything to write home about (at least, not when compared to its Maths department, which is top notch). And it's generally accepted that although Durham is a good university overall, Bristol tends to have a better reputation for science. Although, you would probably have to go to each and see for yourself to make an informed decision.

Durham has one of the best Physics departments in the country, and is one of the best for Astronomy in Europe. It definitely has a better reputation than Bristol, although Bristol is good too.

Thanks, any other decent ones like bath?
Thanks, any other decent ones like bath?

I think that places like Bath and Bristol have a better science reputation than Durham. Manchester is supposed to be good for Physics too.
Quick update, got my last offer from Bristol (AAB). That's on top of Sheffield (AAB), Birmingham (AAA), Manchester and Durham (both A*AA).

Bristol will probably be insurance, and i'll start the process to choose my firm on thursday based off exam results
Emailed Warwick/Bristol/Durham to see if they accept transfers. Like the look of Durham, love to transfer here however unlikely it is.
Reply 1591
I've applied for Maths & Physics and have offers from Bath, QUB and Warwick :smile: I think I might want to change to just a straight Physics degree though..:s-smilie:
Original post by Guin
I've applied for Maths & Physics and have offers from Bath, QUB and Warwick :smile: I think I might want to change to just a straight Physics degree though..:s-smilie:

Warwick is easily the best for Maths and Physics out of those. But if you want to switch to straight Physics I'm sure that can be arranged, because the offer for Physics is lower so I doubt they'd have a problem switching to Physics. I'd email them :smile:
Original post by alcimedes
are you going? I'm there on 8th too. Think Lancaster will be my insurance so want to go and look around. where are you thinking of firming?

no I can't get there unfortunately - not too fussed though, Durham is my firm choice and then I think Birmingham is my insurance :smile: how about you?
no I can't get there unfortunately - not too fussed though, Durham is my firm choice and then I think Birmingham is my insurance :smile: how about you?

I was sure I'd firm Durham but now I think it could be Manchester firm with lancaster or Sheffield as insurance. keep changing my mind!
I was sure I'd firm Durham but now I think it could be Manchester firm with lancaster or Sheffield as insurance. keep changing my mind!

I know what you mean - I wish I'd applied to Manchester instead of lancaster! But I'm definitely happy with Durham - got rejected from Oxford after interviews and everyone says that Durham is the best one after that!

I think Manchester's Physics department is more highly rated than Durham's.
I know what you mean - I wish I'd applied to Manchester instead of lancaster! But I'm definitely happy with Durham - got rejected from Oxford after interviews and everyone says that Durham is the best one after that!

I changed my mind about Oxford the week before my ucas form was due to go. I went down and stayed there and it wasn't for me. I realised I was only applying because my school wanted me to ( there were only 4 of us who were doing Oxbridge). I put Manchester in case Durham said no and now I can't decide. the other 3 who did oxbridge are all going to Durham but not for Physics. I know its a great uni but Manchester seemeed really good too. I compared the courses and I like them both!
I think Manchester's Physics department is more highly rated than Durham's.

I want to do Theoretical Physics and a student at Manchester said Durham is slightly better for that but I REALLY liked Manchester on the interview day.
I want to do Theoretical Physics and a student at Manchester said Durham is slightly better for that but I REALLY liked Manchester on the interview day.

I think you've already made up your mind in favour of Manchester, so go for it! There is no point going to a university based on its reputation if you think you'll prefer spending 3/4 years of your life somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending