The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oromis263
People are saying that to me, but I honestly love it there. So much, and the course is just the perfect mix of things I really enjoy. The bonus for me though is I have several things lined up at the ready for a gap year, so I'd have plenty to do.

Yeah, A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*A and I'd reapply, what college did you apply to this year, and where would you apply next year? ^_^

That would be the main problem with me reapplying, finding something worthwhile to do in my gap year. What do you have lined up, if you don't mind me asking? And I applied to Downing but got pooled and quickly rejected. Even though everyone on the Cambridge forum says you shouldn't pick a college based on popularity, I think I would go for a less competitive college, but specifically I'm not sure. Still, it all depends on how I'm feeling in August and whether I want to wait another year to go to university :s-smilie:
Original post by vedderfan94
That would be the main problem with me reapplying, finding something worthwhile to do in my gap year. What do you have lined up, if you don't mind me asking? And I applied to Downing but got pooled and quickly rejected. Even though everyone on the Cambridge forum says you shouldn't pick a college based on popularity, I think I would go for a less competitive college, but specifically I'm not sure. Still, it all depends on how I'm feeling in August and whether I want to wait another year to go to university :s-smilie:

Yeah, it's quite a commitment to make, especially based on something that isn't dead certain! However, going back with strong UMS and lots of *'s is good. I'm looking at Homerton, I applied Trinity Hall this year, which I would reapply to any day, but they recommend I get my application seen by fresh people.

I currently have an offer for a research project at the UCL, in medical physics (although not my main area of interest, work experience is work experience), I've applied for an internship, will get my dad to talk with people he knows and see if there is anywhere in the University I can volunteer (I'll be living just outside Cambridge for the year), and looking to travel in the latter half of the year.

It's just a shame they make offers based on AS grades. I got 4As with little work, but realised that if I'd put the work in last year, my UMS would have been much stronger. Proven this January >.<
Original post by alcimedes
Van Mildert as its informal and near the science block!

Ahh good thinking - I applied to University college but got pooled and got placed in Hatfield. It was my second choice so I'm pretty pleased!
Reply 1623
Anyone else not heard from Bristol yet? :frown:
Manchester said they'd consider a late application from me transferring from Loughborough Physics with foundation. I'll have to apply through UCAS with CCC.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1625
Just an update, offers recieved from Hertfordshire, LJMU and Nottingham Trent. Waiting on Sussex and Edinburgh.
Original post by Oromis263
Firmed Edinburgh (Theoretical, Masters) with Nottingham as my back up, but after Jan results, I'm hoping to pull similar marks come August, and then I'd reapply to Cambridge. :biggrin:

You know from edinburgh it says first sitting only, do you think that mens you cant do a modular re-sit? im on an a but i want too try and get an a* overall. thanks
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
If I can/have to apply next year I think I'll put

Durham
Warwick
Manchester
Bristol
Bath?

Are they solid choices?

they are but Lancaster, Birmingham and Sheffield are very good too and I think want AAA, AAA, AAB so good for insurance.
they are but Lancaster, Birmingham and Sheffield are very good too and I think want AAA, AAA, AAB so good for insurance.

I might put Lancaster/Birmingham 5th. Im already at Loughborough, not sure if I can justify moving to them worth an extra £6,000 a year.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I might put Lancaster/Birmingham 5th. Im already at Loughborough, not sure if I can justify moving to them worth an extra £6,000 a year.

I saw you were thinking about a transfer to Manchester. I really liked them on my interview day.
I saw you were thinking about a transfer to Manchester. I really liked them on my interview day.

Not been, being in a big city doesnt appeal much though.
Original post by indiarose27
You know from edinburgh it says first sitting only, do you think that mens you cant do a modular re-sit? im on an a but i want too try and get an a* overall. thanks

I believe they just mean without retaking a whole year. :smile:
Reply 1632
Used all my UCAS choices applying to Architecture, ended up changing my mind and deciding I want to do Physics but hadn't carried maths on to A-level so arranged to stay at college a third year to complete it but applied to Exeter through Extra just because I had nothing to lose. Got an offer of AAB today for MPhys with a year in America, very suprised and very happy :biggrin: probably should start teaching myself A2 maths though...
Original post by 11flon
Used all my UCAS choices applying to Architecture, ended up changing my mind and deciding I want to do Physics but hadn't carried maths on to A-level so arranged to stay at college a third year to complete it but applied to Exeter through Extra just because I had nothing to lose. Got an offer of AAB today for MPhys with a year in America, very suprised and very happy :biggrin: probably should start teaching myself A2 maths though...

that's quite a swap of subjects but well done anyway! might see you in America ( I think I'll try and go there for a year too)
Reply 1634
that's quite a swap of subjects but well done anyway! might see you in America ( I think I'll try and go there for a year too)

I know, I thought Architecture would be more of a balance between art and maths/science but the more interviews I had and universities I visited the more art-based it seemed, and I was enjoying Physics so much at college I couldn't imagine not carrying it on. Thank you! :smile: Oh that'd be cool, I'm so excited :biggrin: where have you applied?
Original post by 11flon
I know, I thought Architecture would be more of a balance between art and maths/science but the more interviews I had and universities I visited the more art-based it seemed, and I was enjoying Physics so much at college I couldn't imagine not carrying it on. Thank you! :smile: Oh that'd be cool, I'm so excited :biggrin: where have you applied?

Manchester, Durham, Lancaster that do a year in America and Sheffield-I can't remember if they do but I'm at their open day next week so I'll check then. Are you having to get Maths A level before you start or can you study it over the summer? My aunt is an architect and she says she did very little science so good job you realised in time
(edited 12 years ago)
Just put put down my firm and insurance choices :biggrin:

Firm > Manchester A*AA
Insurance > Sheffield > AAB

Currently sitting in the middle of those two grade-wise
Reply 1637
Manchester, Durham, Lancaster that do a year in America and Sheffield-I can't remember if they do but I'm at their open day next week so I'll check then. Are you having to get Maths A level before you start or can you study it over the summer? My aunt is an architect and she says she did very little science so good job you realised in time

Oh wow, Manchester, Lancaster and Sheffield would definitely be in my top 3 if were to do an extra year to finish Maths and apply next year. Not really sure what to do at the moment! Nope, but it'd be pretty silly of me not to try and learn it before I go, I'll probably start going through it after the exams :smile: what offers do you have so far? :smile:
Original post by MinpoloD
Just put put down my firm and insurance choices :biggrin:

Firm > Manchester A*AA
Insurance > Sheffield > AAB

Currently sitting in the middle of those two grade-wise

I'm thinking of those 2 as well. what helped you decide? I keep changing my mind
Original post by 11flon
Oh wow, Manchester, Lancaster and Sheffield would definitely be in my top 3 if were to do an extra year to finish Maths and apply next year. Not really sure what to do at the moment! Nope, but it'd be pretty silly of me not to try and learn it before I go, I'll probably start going through it after the exams :smile: what offers do you have so far? :smile:

at my school some teachers work as tutors and do stuff like that in the holidays so maybe yours do too. I have A*AA from Manch and Durham, AAA from Lanc and AAB from Sheffield. I picked unis in the top 10 or so for physics but that were nearest where I live ( wimpy I know). You can always do a PhD at another uni after Exeter. I don't know much about them as its too far away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending