The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bistonut
Firmed Durham, Bristol insurance

Trying to work out what I need for Durham. To get the AA part of the offer, I only really need high C's/low Bs in my last physics and chemistry modules, and that's giving myself a semi-conservative 20/60 in the empas for both (i.e coursework). I'm bad in the coursework practicals, but hopefully not that bad!

However, maths is a bit annoying, for reasons which are too long to go into here. In short, I'm eligible for an A* having done it a year early, but I'm only on track for a high B in Further Maths at the moment. Due to the way edexcel work with maths, and that you can swap out the applied modules like M1/S2 etc between the 2 A-levels, and edexcel might class AA as higher than A*B...but I'd need the latter for Durham's offer. Sort of frustrating

Edit: Should point out half the problem is that i got 32 (i.e a U) in D1 in January :P In theory, if I use M1 and D1 in my normal Maths, along with C1-4, I'd have exactly 480 UMS for an A, which is upped to an A* 'cause of my C3/C4 marks. So if i lost 1 mark I'd go down from an A* to a B, pretty odd.
(Have I explained this in this thread before? Sorry if I have, cba trawling back)

edexcel is even more complicated than mei. mei do it so you get the highest possible for maths, then sort out the fm.
what made you decide on durham in the end? I've chosen Manchester
Original post by alcimedes
edexcel is even more complicated than mei. mei do it so you get the highest possible for maths, then sort out the fm.
what made you decide on durham in the end? I've chosen Manchester

In theory I think Edexcel try and do that, but I think my situation is rather unique (I don't think many people get 90 in C3/4 and then a U in the apparently easiest module aha) so it's a bit awkward. I THINK that if I get a B in Further I SHOULD be given the A*, and that shouldn't be too hard to get, gonna aim for the A just in case.

And I chose Durham mainly to get away from Manchester. I do love it as a city, but it'd be nice to get away, plus Durham terms are so short I'll be spending more than half the year back here anyway. College system also swayed it for me. I did slightly prefer the course at Manchester, although mainly in the way it's structured. You'll love Manchester though, might even see you when I'm back home sometime aha.
Reply 1862
In theory I think Edexcel try and do that, but I think my situation is rather unique (I don't think many people get 90 in C3/4 and then a U in the apparently easiest module aha) so it's a bit awkward. I THINK that if I get a B in Further I SHOULD be given the A*, and that shouldn't be too hard to get, gonna aim for the A just in case.

And I chose Durham mainly to get away from Manchester. I do love it as a city, but it'd be nice to get away, plus Durham terms are so short I'll be spending more than half the year back here anyway. College system also swayed it for me. I did slightly prefer the course at Manchester, although mainly in the way it's structured. You'll love Manchester though, might even see you when I'm back home sometime aha.

Wait just a minute, you firmed Durham over Bristol.... AND you managed to get an offer from both even with a U in D1? Thats very suprising. I know people that were rejected with straight As in all their AS modules, predicted full A*s ( this is for physics by the way, and yes, they did further maths). It wasn't all that bad though, they got an offer from Cambridge for Natsci :smile:. Durham admissions really suprise me at times. (Just out of question, are you state or private educated?)

Bristol is better than Durham for physics, and indeed a better university overall. The only difference is that Durham has an oxbridge mentality and demands Oxbridge offers for courses that are insufficiently Oxbridgette.
Manchester is firm A*AA ouch !!
Leeds is insurance ABB !
B In chemistry most likely for me! A2 chem is annoying !!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Still waiting for Durham to reply :frown:
Original post by Rennit
Bristol is better than Durham for physics, and indeed a better university overall.

You are deluded. Get off your high horse and stop thinking you are better than others. You seem to think Durham is inferior to many universities because:

1. They have Gaddafi "dealings" that you don't have any proof of, nor are they something anyone cares about (as shown by the Durham graduate prospects).
2. They have an "Oxbridge mentality". They reject people because all universities are looking for different people and have different admissions processes. Just because they are a traditional university with colleges doesn't mean they have this "Oxbridge mentality" that you speak of.
Original post by vedderfan94
You are deluded. Get off your high horse and stop thinking you are better than others. You seem to think Durham is inferior to many universities because:

1. They have Gaddafi "dealings" that you don't have any proof of, nor are they something anyone cares about (as shown by the Durham graduate prospects).
2. They have an "Oxbridge mentality". They reject people because all universities are looking for different people and have different admissions processes. Just because they are a traditional university with colleges doesn't mean they have this "Oxbridge mentality" that you speak of.

one question .. why is duram under rated when it comes to international ranking
dnt take me in a wrong way i am just wondering.
i looked up times world university rank.. duram is behind manchester....
Original post by xiyangliu

River85 pretty much summed it up in a different thread on this topic:

Original post by River85
In short, its ranking is still reasonably good for a university of its size, it just may drop or fall significant from year on year. Since 2005 it's been anything from 70-something to 132 in the THES rankings.

It is largely due to size. The world rankings favour larger research intensive universities, with its peer and academic review. Durham, although it produces excellent research, is not a huge institution and doesn't produce the amount of research that Manchester does, for example, and therefore lacks the reputation (with exceptions, physics/astrophysics/cosmology for example where it does have a global repuation). Durham, being a medium size multi-faculty without a real medical or dental school, will inevitable rank lower than a UCL, Manchester, Princeton, Berkeley, ANU, Amsterdam...

But league table rankings mean effectively sod all anyway. Durham graduates still tend to compete successfully with graduates from universities higher in international rankings (UCL, KCL, Manchester) and does still rank well in the emplower review of the THES.
River85 pretty much summed it up in a different thread on this topic:

aha thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Rennit
Wait just a minute, you firmed Durham over Bristol.... AND you managed to get an offer from both even with a U in D1? Thats very suprising. I know people that were rejected with straight As in all their AS modules, predicted full A*s ( this is for physics by the way, and yes, they did further maths). It wasn't all that bad though, they got an offer from Cambridge for Natsci :smile:. Durham admissions really suprise me at times. (Just out of question, are you state or private educated?)

Bristol is better than Durham for physics, and indeed a better university overall. The only difference is that Durham has an oxbridge mentality and demands Oxbridge offers for courses that are insufficiently Oxbridgette.

Durham has one of the strongest physics departments in the country, in fact it's one of the strongest in the world for astrophysics and space science.

Oxbridge mentality? Hear the exact same thing about Bristol.......

Entry requirements are largely driven by demand and Durham is a popular university. It does have high offers for some courses offered at some of its relatively modest departments (e.g. politics at SGIA). And this means that other universities, such as Aberwystwyth, have lower offers despite offering some excellent courses. However, the same can be said of Bristol, certainly up until the last few years (it has seen a relative decline in popularity and fashionability in the minds of applicans as it has fallen out of the top ten in league tables). Moreoever, physics is not one of these courses with unjustiable high typical offers.

Durham is not better than Bristol, or Bristol better than Durham. If you think otherwise then explain why. They are both among the country's strongest universities. but, when comparing universities, you're comparing apples to oranges to some extent. They are of different sizes, have different strengths and weakness. Only a broad general comparison can be made and this will show that Durham and Bristol are both broadly comparable Russell Group members with a broadly comparable student intake. A department by department level is fairer and, in physics, Bristol certainly isn't stronger.
Original post by Rennit

Well I did my full Maths A-level in year 12 (a state funded year 12 at that) and got an A in that, which I re-sat C3 in Jan this year to get the A*. The D1 was supposed to count towards further maths, but you can swap it between the 2 A-levels, so it will probably be put into Normal Maths, and S1 put into Further Maths. Because I did well enough in the other Normal Maths modules, I'll still have the A* even with the U.

Also, Durham didn't see my U, as I hadn't sat it yet when I sent off my application. Even if I had, I would still have had an A overall, and Cambridge are the only uni that look at individual module scores.

People always say Durham's admin is obviously biased/stupid since people get rejected that get into oxbridge. However, everyone seems to forget that oxbridge go mainly on interview, Durham only have the application to go off. Obviously your friend's application wasn't that strong compared to how well they do in interview.

And the fact you claim Bristol is better as fact shows that you're incredibly biased. You could argue that it is better, but such an objective statement is stupid. We've established in many threads on this forum that the differences for most good physics unis are negligible, and debate about which is better between 2 unis next to each other in a Guardian league table is pointless. I hope you back up mathematical arguments with more logic than you've shown here...

Behind Manchester doesn't mean anything.
Hell, my personal opinion based off my own research (around limited resources like league tables, international research etc) is that it goes Cambridge>oxford>Imperial>Manchester>Durham (of course I'm going to place Durham high though)>other top notch ones. I'm factored in stuff like international research, employability etc, but not student satisfaction and social aspects.
Reply 1872
Can Cambridge really do as much physics as Oxford since you have to do natural sciences at Cam? So as far as the undergraduate experience goes. Is Oxford better for physicists in the content covered. I ask since Cambridge is almost always regarded as 1st.

Thanks
Hell, my personal opinion based off my own research (around limited resources like league tables, international research etc) is that it goes Cambridge>oxford>Imperial>Manchester>Durham (of course I'm going to place Durham high though)>other top notch ones. I'm factored in stuff like international research, employability etc, but not student satisfaction and social aspects.

Surely Durham ranks higher than Manchester then, in your personal ranking? 69% of Manchester physics grads enter graduate employment compared to 81% at Durham :s-smilie:
Surely Durham ranks higher than Manchester then, in your personal ranking? 69% of Manchester physics grads enter graduate employment compared to 81% at Durham :s-smilie:

Well I'm trying to account for bias, but it's all very rough. Manchester has the better overall research and the history, Durham the astro side of things, is a powerhouse for its size, employment and other shiz.

I went there, manchester said this is cuz the student doesnt enter employment straight away, they tend to go on and do researches

I meant a Post graduate degree

I meant a Post graduate degree

Hmm but a higher proportion of Durham graduates go on to do a PhD :s-smilie: Manchester of course has a very strong department but I was just pointing this out when bistonut said he was focusing more on employment.

I'm coming home every few weeks so may see you in Durham-my best friends have all gone there and I live 1/2 hour away! I've abandoned all hope of A* for fm and I'm 1 ums off it for maths so have to resit c4. might get it for physics as we did our units in strange order and have the shorter unit exam left. I need 91ums in the physics paper so keeping fingers and everything else crossed!
which college are u in? I'll check where my friends are-they're doing masters in engineering, maths.

at my sheffield interview, they had people applying there for post-grad degrees. there were candidates who'd done their first degrees at oxford, imperial, bristol and durham. the professor I had dinner with said lots of companies would be interested in us if we we were at any of the top 10-20 physics unis and that the only difference where you do your first degree at is that you are a bit more likely to get a post-grad place at that uni because they already know you. he told us to pick the campus we liked best as he said most courses are similar and rankings change depending on so many factors. it made me stop panicking about which uni to choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending