The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amwazicles
Your body is just manifesting all the stresses you re going through - that's perfectly normal. Symptoms like itchy spots and headaches are commonly caused by stress - and you sound like you are under a lot at the moment. I'm sorry to hear that your health hasn't been good recently, but I can't help but think it could be mostly down to stress and tension from your anxiety.

And remember, if in doubt.....

:doctor:

:smile:

I have, I go through regular x-rays, MRIs, blood tests and the results is always the same: I have nothing. I know it's due to my anxiety, it's just a bit tiring because it never ends, haha.
Original post by Anatheme
I have, I go through regular x-rays, MRIs, blood tests and the results is always the same: I have nothing. I know it's due to my anxiety, it's just a bit tiring because it never ends, haha.

I'm a bad hypochondriac, the more you worry the worse you feel, and the more convinced you are that you have something!
Original post by Ratiocinator
I'm a bad hypochondriac, the more you worry the worse you feel, and the more convinced you are that you have something!

I could see the logic, but I really don't think I'm a hypocondriac. I do quite a lot of sport, so I am used to hurting myself, and over the years, I have built a high pain threshold (so much that I'm usually given 4 times the paracetamol dose usually given to people, if I need it). I'm also the kind of person that goes to school despite being ill, and I avoid taking medicine as much as I can - be it painkillers or even my anxiety medication, because I'm scared it won't be as effective the day I really need them.

I am sure there is a correlation, but it definitely happens on a subliminal level, haha. When I was in Syria for my year abroad, everything was amazing, I hadn't felt as relaxed as I was in ages, everything was going swimmingly, but I still had joint pains and silly headaches.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Amwazicles
That sounds good - a sort of 'flooding' approach, although I guess it wouldn't work for everybody.

:smile:

I also started becoming more aware of myself in social situations, using my awarness to 'sense' where the anxiety was coming from and in what situations, and then consciously tried to view the situation more rationally. So, some cognitive behavioural therapy as well as flooding! I've never seen a therapist in my life (ironically though I've done a course in counselling!); most of what I've learned about anxiety and self-awareness raising has come from books, TV shows, films, games - life, basically.

Anxiety is a funny thing when you think about it.
Heya.. suppose I fit into this category...

Always had issues with anxiety to do with eating.. I've not eaten outside my house with people other than my parents since I was about 5.. and went to my GP asking for help only last year.
I got referred to CAMHS for 'talking therapies' at the end of last year which to be honest was perfect timing as in the summer the anxiety had started to spread into everything and I was just not coping at all..
My nurse/counsellor person realised it was a lot more than what was originally said and helped me get started on an SSRI..
The medication and counselling has helped massively and I am just so much better than I was a year ago (even though we havent actually managed to touch on the eating subject yet! :tongue:)

Anyways that was just a little bit of backgroud I thought I'd share as I introduce myself on this thread :smile:

As things are looking up I have started to try doing new things over this summer.. however the anxiety is slightly returning and even though I'm almost 'okay' with college and everything now, new things are still a bit massively :eek:
Is there anything I can do..?
I was thinking of asking my counsellor/nurse person if I could have some medication that I'd take on days that would be particularly difficult.. dont even really know if this is possible.. but would it be a good idea??

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Heya.. suppose I fit into this category...

Always had issues with anxiety to do with eating.. I've not eaten outside my house with people other than my parents since I was about 5.. and went to my GP asking for help only last year.
I got referred to CAMHS for 'talking therapies' at the end of last year which to be honest was perfect timing as in the summer the anxiety had started to spread into everything and I was just not coping at all..
My nurse/counsellor person realised it was a lot more than what was originally said and helped me get started on an SSRI..
The medication and counselling has helped massively and I am just so much better than I was a year ago (even though we havent actually managed to touch on the eating subject yet! :tongue:)

Anyways that was just a little bit of backgroud I thought I'd share as I introduce myself on this thread :smile:

As things are looking up I have started to try doing new things over this summer.. however the anxiety is slightly returning and even though I'm almost 'okay' with college and everything now, new things are still a bit massively :eek:
Is there anything I can do..?
I was thinking of asking my counsellor/nurse person if I could have some medication that I'd take on days that would be particularly difficult.. dont even really know if this is possible.. but would it be a good idea??

Well there is loads of difference medications out there I'm sure you'll be able to get the right one for you. I'll think she'll have to refer you to your doctor though so you can get a prescription.:console: xx
Okay I'm getting worried now... I've been having hallucinations lately, including last night I had one where I was in bed and I thought there was a spider web next to me and I was clawing at fresh air trying to get it to go!
I started off hating primary school and eventually stopped eating while in school but nobody did anything and had to come home for lunch. It got worse when in high school I would throw up every morning and cry but my mum said it was just nerves. Then college came along and I was so anxious about everything I kept lashing out at everyone and being a bitch all the time towards everyone.

I've now got a set of bad grades that taunt me as if I'm now a failure and will never get anywhere.

I'm still in college and I hate it so much I can't see myself getting through the next year. This year has been nearly as bad as the year before but I've kept it a secret from nearly everyone.

I went to a counsellor who got me to go to the doctor but I didn't go back to her. Eventually, I went to my GP and got anti-depressants to help with the anxiety but my parents took them off me before I could even take them because they didn't like the side effects and didnt want me getting hooked. I didn't go back to the GP because I was too scared to, especially as my parents said there was nothing wrong with me. Also, the GP didn't really take my anxiety seriously and put it down to exams. :frown:

My parents don't know that a couple of years ago I was convinced that I was going to die and they still don't know I still sometimes believe something terrible will happen and I will die.

Well yeah, I don't really know what to say.

I hate it how people don't consider anxiety to be an illness but it really is. People have no idea what it's like to freak out every time they leave the house. In fact, i don't even like leaving my bedroom. I just wish this never happened to me in the first place. Maybe then I would've turned out to be a better person.
Original post by insignificant
Okay I'm getting worried now... I've been having hallucinations lately, including last night I had one where I was in bed and I thought there was a spider web next to me and I was clawing at fresh air trying to get it to go!

OMG! I've had stuff like that happen such as when I was in bed and I felt someone touch my shoulder and pinch me. I jumped up and switched the lights on but there was nobody there.

I don't know what it means though so sorry. Have you googled?

Sounds like a lucid dream.:smile:
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I started off hating primary school and eventually stopped eating while in school but nobody did anything and had to come home for lunch. It got worse when in high school I would throw up every morning and cry but my mum said it was just nerves. Then college came along and I was so anxious about everything I kept lashing out at everyone and being a bitch all the time towards everyone.

I've now got a set of bad grades that taunt me as if I'm now a failure and will never get anywhere.

I'm still in college and I hate it so much I can't see myself getting through the next year. This year has been nearly as bad as the year before but I've kept it a secret from nearly everyone.

I went to a counsellor who got me to go to the doctor but I didn't go back to her. Eventually, I went to my GP and got anti-depressants to help with the anxiety but my parents took them off me before I could even take them because they didn't like the side effects and didnt want me getting hooked. I didn't go back to the GP because I was too scared to, especially as my parents said there was nothing wrong with me. Also, the GP didn't really take my anxiety seriously and put it down to exams. :frown:

My parents don't know that a couple of years ago I was convinced that I was going to die and they still don't know I still sometimes believe something terrible will happen and I will die.

Well yeah, I don't really know what to say.

I hate it how people don't consider anxiety to be an illness but it really is. People have no idea what it's like to freak out every time they leave the house. In fact, i don't even like leaving my bedroom. I just wish this never happened to me in the first place. Maybe then I would've turned out to be a better person.

First off I think you need a big :hugs:.

Go back to your GP your parents don't need to know everything is strictly confidential. You need to get some counselling sorted as I don't think you'll get any better on your own.:frown:

I know how horrible it is to be scared but just tell yourself last time I was scared nothing happened so why should this time be any different.
I'm in a different frame of mind today I want to make him insanely jealous!
Just be happy have a good time and show him what he's missing.:tongue:
Original post by Beebumble
First off I think you need a big :hugs:.

Go back to your GP your parents don't need to know everything is strictly confidential. You need to get some counselling sorted as I don't think you'll get any better on your own.:frown:

I know how horrible it is to be scared but just tell yourself last time I was scared nothing happened so why should this time be any different.

Thanks.

It's hard to go to the GP even though I live about 3 minutes away. I'm not allowed to go outside on my own because my parents think it's dangerous. If I ever need to go anywhere, someone has to give me a lift.

Counselling sucked big time. 1) it was awkward. 2) I couldn't describe it or even write it down in words. I'm thinking about going back soon when I pluck up the courage.
Thanks.

It's hard to go to the GP even though I live about 3 minutes away. I'm not allowed to go outside on my own because my parents think it's dangerous. If I ever need to go anywhere, someone has to give me a lift.

Counselling sucked big time. 1) it was awkward. 2) I couldn't describe it or even write it down in words. I'm thinking about going back soon when I pluck up the courage.

Maybe you need a different counselor?

Is there someone in college you can go to? Speak to your tutor explain your circumstances and maybe you can go from there during class time and your parents will never know.
Well there is loads of difference medications out there I'm sure you'll be able to get the right one for you. I'll think she'll have to refer you to your doctor though so you can get a prescription.:console: xx

The one I'm on at the moment has helped massively and I dont really think I need something extra to help me day to day as I'm hoping I will be able to deal with that with just the stuff I'm on at the moment..

Its just there are certain days where I just cant cope and I'd just love a little extra help.. but does stuff that helps on a time-to-time basis even exist?? Dont wanna sound stupid if I bring this up! :redface:

And yeah, I know he'll (:wink:) refer me, its just easier to ask someone I know.. :smile:
Maybe you need a different counselor?

Is there someone in college you can go to? Speak to your tutor explain your circumstances and maybe you can go from there during class time and your parents will never know.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do but I have to wait till I'm back on a full time course since I'm only in college part time and there's no way I can get to the docs and back in time. Either that or I'll speak to a cousin and ask if they can take me since I really can't take this.
Original post by spoinkytheduck
The one I'm on at the moment has helped massively and I dont really think I need something extra to help me day to day as I'm hoping I will be able to deal with that with just the stuff I'm on at the moment..

Its just there are certain days where I just cant cope and I'd just love a little extra help.. but does stuff that helps on a time-to-time basis even exist?? Dont wanna sound stupid if I bring this up! :redface:

And yeah, I know B]]he[
/I]'ll (:wink:) refer me, its just easier to ask someone I know.. :smile:

Oop my bad.:redface:

I'm sure I read about that kind of tablets you're on about but think it was for depression.
OMG! I've had stuff like that happen such as when I was in bed and I felt someone touch my shoulder and pinch me. I jumped up and switched the lights on but there was nobody there.

I don't know what it means though so sorry. Have you googled?

I was awake though because I can't get to sleep anymore until about 4/5am and this happened about 1am :/ no I haven't googled because it will only make my mind wander more and I'll work myself up into a state. Got an appointment on Monday at the doctors so I'll mention it then.. Alongside getting a grilling for stopping taking my anti depressants. I hate them because they make you SO anxious for the first few days you start them it's horrible..
Oop my bad.:redface:

I'm sure I read about that kind of tablets you're on about but think it was for depression.

Haha no worries :tongue:

Yeah, they're antidepressants (they mentioned depression but not sure if I was diagnosed with that) but the main reason for putting me on them is that they also help with anxiety too (and a bunch of other things... that little leaflet thing they put in with tablets are actually quite interesting.. :tongue:)
Original post by Dreamseeker
I also started becoming more aware of myself in social situations, using my awarness to 'sense' where the anxiety was coming from and in what situations, and then consciously tried to view the situation more rationally. So, some cognitive behavioural therapy as well as flooding! I've never seen a therapist in my life (ironically though I've done a course in counselling!); most of what I've learned about anxiety and self-awareness raising has come from books, TV shows, films, games - life, basically.

Anxiety is a funny thing when you think about it.

Yeah it is really... but what can ya do? :wink:

Thanks for posting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest