The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dungeonkeepr
I've always been shy and disliked hugs and physical contact made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but I didn't really notice it was a thing until my first year at uni. Every couple weeks or so, I got overloaded with the amount of people and just hid in my room for a day or two, not talking to anyone if I could, until I'd recovered.

This year (2nd year), I made progress - after I flew to Australia and back, fighting back against my fear of flying/heights - and joined a martial arts club. I got a lot better at touching people and hugging them. But it got a lot worse in the second semester, because instead of a gradual build up, so I could recognise I was about to break and stop activities so that the time it took me to get back to normal was shorter, I just got hit. It's got bad enough that I've realised I need counselling and will start when I get back to uni.

On a positive note, my boyfriend has really helped me be less scared of flying - I used to, and still do a bit, have problems even seeing an aeroplane because it makes me think through what it would be like to fall. But now I'm a bit better and flying to Siberia Thursday, so at the least I know I'm not letting it hold me back :smile:

That sounds like some bad experiences for you, but also great to hear you've made some progress :biggrin: Thanks for posting..

Good luck in siberia! :awesome:

:smile:
Original post by Amwazicles
I'm friending all the regular posters on here because everyone's so lovely :grouphugs: so that's the reason for all the random friend requests... feel free to ignore if you have like a policy of only friending people you know in real life or anything... no hard feelings :smile:

:hugs: thanks for invite
I've always been shy and disliked hugs and physical contact made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but I didn't really notice it was a thing until my first year at uni. Every couple weeks or so, I got overloaded with the amount of people and just hid in my room for a day or two, not talking to anyone if I could, until I'd recovered.

This year (2nd year), I made progress - after I flew to Australia and back, fighting back against my fear of flying/heights - and joined a martial arts club. I got a lot better at touching people and hugging them. But it got a lot worse in the second semester, because instead of a gradual build up, so I could recognise I was about to break and stop activities so that the time it took me to get back to normal was shorter, I just got hit. It's got bad enough that I've realised I need counselling and will start when I get back to uni.

On a positive note, my boyfriend has really helped me be less scared of flying - I used to, and still do a bit, have problems even seeing an aeroplane because it makes me think through what it would be like to fall. But now I'm a bit better and flying to Siberia Thursday, so at the least I know I'm not letting it hold me back :smile:

Wow nice to see some (almost) positive stories. Nice that you have a helpful boyfriend.:tongue:

Any advice on the areoplanes I hate flying! The strange thing is I'm fine once I'm in the air but taking off I'm terrible I even shouted at an air hostess to stop the plane and get me off once.:s-smilie:
I'm friending all the regular posters on here because everyone's so lovely :grouphugs: so that's the reason for all the random friend requests... feel free to ignore if you have like a policy of only friending people you know in real life or anything... no hard feelings :smile:

Just accepted. :biggrin:
Original post by Beebumble
Wow nice to see some (almost) positive stories. Nice that you have a helpful boyfriend.:tongue:

Any advice on the areoplanes I hate flying! The strange thing is I'm fine once I'm in the air but taking off I'm terrible I even shouted at an air hostess to stop the plane and get me off once.:s-smilie:

My boyfriend does aerospace engineering, so all the stats and figures people told me over the years that didn't help sort of had more impact from him. If it helps: even if three of the four engines fail it can fly fine, and the chance of even one failing is 0.001%. :smile:

I know - taking off is horrible. I always hum paint it black, which I nicked as a concept from supernatural (although Dean hums metallica). Something soothing to think about. The other thing is just to relax your body, so that you move with the plane, rather than against it. Makes turbulence much less scary - if you do horse riding ever, it's like sitting trot or sitting a canter.
(edited 12 years ago)
My boyfriend does aerospace engineering, so all the stats and figures people told me over the years that didn't help sort of had more impact from him. If it helps: even if three of the four engines fail it can fly fine, and the chance of even one failing is 0.001%. :smile:

I know - taking off is horrible. I always hum paint it black, which I nicked as a concept from supernatural (although Dean hums metallica). Something soothing to think about. The other thing is just to relax your body, so that you move with the plane, rather than against it. Makes turbulence much less scary - if you do horse riding ever, it's like sitting trot or sitting a canter.

Well I'll try and remember that when I next get the courage to fly

The furthest I've been is Greece and I'd really like to at least travel outside of Europe.

Someone here posted a lovely song so I thought I'd post one of my favorite songs. I am a huge Jessie J fan but I understand she might not be everyone's cup of tea. Even so just try and listen to it because this song has really helped me and the line, "It's OK not to be OK," gets me every time.:smile:

EDIT- Can someone tell me if the video's working for them because all I see is a white square.
(edited 12 years ago)

The furthest I've been is Greece and I'd really like to at least travel outside of Europe.

It's actually easier on a long flight - at least I find it is. You get used to it and it sort of breaks the fear. I did the long one out to Australia, then a short one within Australia, and I was a lot less worried on the tiny flight, cos I'd "beaten" the big one. :smile: It also helps (me anyway), if I know that what I'm flying to is worth it - but then I'm an economics student so I tend to think in terms of budget lines of happiness and stuff.

Someone here posted a lovely song so I thought I'd post one of my favorite songs. I am a huge Jessie J fan but I understand she might not be everyone's cup of tea. Even so just try and listen to it because this song has really helped me and the line, "It's OK not to be OK," gets me every time.:smile:

EDIT- Can someone tell me if the video's working for them because all I see is a white square.

Just a white square for me too :frown:
My problem with flying is that your just trapped and if you really wanted to, you can't escape!
Original post by insignificant
My problem with flying is that your just trapped and if you really wanted to, you can't escape!

Yup that is exactly how I feel!
Just a white square for me too :frown:

Just edited. You'll just have to click the link.
Okay everyone, dilemma. So I transferred unis so I could live at home, and be around home so my anxiety wouldnt be so bad and because my dad is eventually going to need brain surgery so I will be around for his recovery and stuff. But I know it will be hard to make friends from living at home, or extra hard, and with someone who isnt exactly all that open and would go out of her way to make friends, I see it being very difficult. I'm really supposed to be going into third year, but I'm having to resit second year as its the only way I could transfer. So it's kinda my last shot to have a go at the whole uni social thing.. and I was thinking about moving into accommodation, I looked at the uni accommo and found a really nice accommodation, and I dont know whether to apply for it? My pros and cons

Pros
I'd learn to be social, and meet lots of new people
I'd learn independence again
Fresh start after a terrible year..

Cons
Could all go pear shaped and make my anxiety way worse
Not around my dad so if he has a fit hell be alone...parents always say that they dont want me to be home because of the off chance he does have one, but everytime he has had a fit I've luckily always been there to call 999 so they can take him to resuss
Money

Don't know what to do :frown: I dont know if I'm just feeling temporarily overconfident after being home alone all day and not having a panic attack.
Okay everyone, dilemma. So I transferred unis so I could live at home, and be around home so my anxiety wouldnt be so bad and because my dad is eventually going to need brain surgery so I will be around for his recovery and stuff. But I know it will be hard to make friends from living at home, or extra hard, and with someone who isnt exactly all that open and would go out of her way to make friends, I see it being very difficult. I'm really supposed to be going into third year, but I'm having to resit second year as its the only way I could transfer. So it's kinda my last shot to have a go at the whole uni social thing.. and I was thinking about moving into accommodation, I looked at the uni accommo and found a really nice accommodation, and I dont know whether to apply for it? My pros and cons

Pros
I'd learn to be social, and meet lots of new people
I'd learn independence again
Fresh start after a terrible year..

Cons
Could all go pear shaped and make my anxiety way worse
Not around my dad so if he has a fit hell be alone...parents always say that they dont want me to be home because of the off chance he does have one, but everytime he has had a fit I've luckily always been there to call 999 so they can take him to resuss
Money

Don't know what to do :frown: I dont know if I'm just feeling temporarily overconfident after being home alone all day and not having a panic attack.

It's great that you're thinking about living away from home, and in my opinion - go for it! If your uni is near home anyway, then if it does go 'pear-shaped', it won't be too hard to move back home.

In the end the final decision is yours though.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's great that you're thinking about living away from home, and in my opinion - go for it! If your uni is near home anyway, then if it does go 'pear-shaped', it won't be too hard to move back home.

In the end the final decision is yours though.

Good luck :smile:

I forgot to mention that if I did live at home, I would be able to afford a car.. which would give me SO much independence, and I'd be able to take my dad places and stuff.... urghhhhh
I forgot to mention that if I did live at home, I would be able to afford a car.. which would give me SO much independence, and I'd be able to take my dad places and stuff.... urghhhhh

Hmm that does complicate things.. I really can't decide for you! Having never been in that position, I can't really be much use at all...
Hmm that does complicate things.. I really can't decide for you! Having never been in that position, I can't really be much use at all...

Gonna go bury my head in the sand. haha... oh god.. If only I was rich so I could have both a car and accommodation...
That's a good idea! Well, at least I think so. I hope it helped you a little bit?
Good video anyways. :smile: You're really pretty, by the way. :colondollar:

I can see that it must have been difficult. I would be too much of a coward to do a video on something, nevermind uploading and sharing it with others! So kudos to you.
Shows that you made the right decision. :smile:

Baby steps are good. :yep:

I got anxious in the freaking bathtub today. :colonhash: But instead of giving into the anxiety, I started washing my hair and then it was all good again. Just weird.
I can also feel my heartbeat very often (are those palpitations?) and it's not slow either. It's rather annoying. Maybe worth going to the doctor for and possibly get it checked out.
Other than that I felt fine these days. I even managed to finish my food today. :yep:
helloooooo :smile:

does anyone here have any experience w/ post-traumatic stress disorder
What a beautiful video.

Made me a bit :cry2: but the good kind :^_^:

You're so lovely :hugs: :grouphugs: :jumphug: :lovehug:

It kind of makes me want to do something like that too, but then I don't know if I'd show it to anyone in real life because I'd be embarrassed... :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest