The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naomijb
I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety about four weeks ago although I've been suffering with the symptoms for over 2 years. I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram, anyone else on this medication?
Also, if anyone ever wants to talk, let me know. :smile:

Yes, I'm on the same medication. Still waiting for it to kick in (if it ever will). Been on it 5 weeks now.
My citalopram 20mg medication is making me feel as though I'm not awake, like I could be dreaming right now and I will wake up in bed and its a bit wierd. I'm going back to my doctor to talk about it but has anyone else had this.
Hii everyone :smile:

I posted here a while ago when I was at my worst. It's been about 6 months since then and I have to say I've gotten a LOT better and have tackled a lot of obstacles and although I still have a long way to go I have to say I've never been more proud of myself. I was at a stage once where I just wanted to give up and honestly felt there was no way forward, but I promise you all there is! Nobody else can tell you this, you really need to have faith in yourself. I've had a quick skim through some recent posts and it's honestly heartbreaking reading some of it. I can't tell you how important it is to believe in yourself and you need to have faith that things will get better, or they won't. Trust me I know it's easier said than done, I've been through it all and I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, even though I know it's a long long road ahead. Just DON'T GIVE UP and keep at it. It can take years, but you need to recognise each of your small achievements and eventually they will get bigger and bigger until you actually make some huge steps towards your recovery. I want to share more words of wisdom but I'll save them for now! Because this post would be too long otherwise and I need to rant...

Ok so long story short, I'm in my 3rd year of medical school, and for the past year or so they've been great in terms of helping me out. For example my poor attendance in lectures had been ignored because I explained that I couldn't sit in them. I have also been allowed to sit in smaller rooms for my exams. BUT, some dumb ***** has recently replaced the dean for students because she is on maternity leave. Now this woman doesn't even know me, she's met me once. And during this one meeting she managed to make me cry (which does NOT happen EVER in front of other people. I NEVER cry in front of anyone! Not even my friends or family). Anyway she had absolutely NO remorse or didn't seem to give a crap that I was upset. She just continued to let me know that I will "no longer be receiving any help" and that "if you can't hack it you shouldn't be in medical school", and she basically made out that I was making up a load of **** because obviously the dumb ***** had never heard of how serious anxiety is. Argh!! Excuse all the *s but this really pees me off! Anyway I had to run around for a good month or so trying to chase up the right people to complain about her, and no one at my uni seemed to care. Eventually I made an appointment with the disability & dyslexia co-ordinater, who accidentally let slip some of the **** this ***** has been making up about me! She has been going round saying that I requested "no one to be looking at me while I sit the exam" and to be seated at a chair that was "facing north". I asked him if he was having a laugh but he told me he was being completely serious. How unfair is this?? No wonder no one at my uni wanted to help me out, they probably think I'm trying to milk the system for all it's worth! I've been ridiculously angry the past month with my useless university. I'm under enough stress as it is being a 3rd year medic and my uni have been completely useless. I don't know who to complain to and I don't know what to do about it. I haven't made this very clear and I'm sorry for going off on one but any advice would me much appreciated. I don't wanna be chucked out of this course because of some dumb ***** who's completely judged me and made stuff up about me to make me look like some slacker. My best friend told me to make a formal complaint but I don't know how to go about this. How are they gonna believe me when it's my word against hers?

Anyway if anyone could be bothered to read all of that, thank you! :smile: Has anyone gone through anything like this before? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by puddledancer
My citalopram 20mg medication is making me feel as though I'm not awake, like I could be dreaming right now and I will wake up in bed and its a bit wierd. I'm going back to my doctor to talk about it but has anyone else had this.

One of the side effects of citalopram is drowsiness. It could be that you're very drowsy during the day, coupled with all the chemical changes that they're causing in your brain which is making you feel like this. I wouldn't worry about it but you should go to your doctor if it's getting troublesome.
Original post by naomijb
I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety about four weeks ago although I've been suffering with the symptoms for over 2 years. I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram, anyone else on this medication?
Also, if anyone ever wants to talk, let me know. :smile:

I'm on 40mg of citalopram for depression/anxiety issues, been on it since October but it hasn't helped me at all im afraid :frown: I stopped taking it for now cause it makes me sleepy.

Anyone else here not really access support because they don't feel worthy of it? Like I feel as though I'm just messed up loser and so should let support things be for other people if this makes any sense at all, supposed to be arranging therapy and counselling but I feel like they wouldn't want to help me really anyway and have more important people they should help instead. I don't really feel worth anything tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SciFiBoy
I'm on 40mg of citalopram for depression/anxiety issues, been on it since October but it hasn't helped me at all im afraid :frown: I stopped taking it for now cause it makes me sleepy.

Anyone else here not really access support because they don't feel worthy of it? Like I feel as though I'm just messed up loser and so should let support things be for other people if this makes any sense at all, supposed to be arranging therapy and counselling but I feel like they wouldn't want to help me really anyway and have more important people they should help instead. I don't really feel worth anything tbh.

I totally understand this. I feel the same way. Took me ages just to go to the doctors.
Original post by sunfowers01
I totally understand this. I feel the same way. Took me ages just to go to the doctors.

I probably should go really, I keep having really bad thoughts at the moment, pretty sure I'm gonna start acting on them again soon as well.

Sometimes I think it would just solve everything to just

Spoiler

Original post by sweetcheeks01
One of the side effects of citalopram is drowsiness. It could be that you're very drowsy during the day, coupled with all the chemical changes that they're causing in your brain which is making you feel like this. I wouldn't worry about it but you should go to your doctor if it's getting troublesome.

I think I will go back before my review because I've been on them since October and I haven't been like this since the side effects went away before christmas.

Gah medication.
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I can't say that I have had exactly the same experience but my advice for anything like this is get a doctor on your side, medical opinions work miracles. I would also agree with your friend that if it does not improve a formal complaint is the way to go, they have to take those seriously. I don't know if you have done this but it may help to explain exactly what your problem is and how the university can help, to dispel those stupid rumours. Maybe write it down so you know that you tell them the right thing.

Best of luck and I hope this has been useful.
:hugs:
Original post by Blaze008
mannnnnn am i a pu ssay. anyway back to the point. -anyone know how i could get rid of this? or am i doomed for life? :frown: jus like the post above iv spent like 30mins re reading my post hoping i dont get judged wrongly etc. mannn i dono wat to do :frown:

:hugs: for anxious typers.
My advice everytime for this situation is to go to the doctors, because they can help, with medication and therapy. You can't judge for it although this often ends up happening, it's not cowardness.
I hope it becomes resolved. :smile:
Original post by SciFiBoy
I probably should go really, I keep having really bad thoughts at the moment, pretty sure I'm gonna start acting on them again soon as well.

Sometimes I think it would just solve everything to just

Spoiler

I felt like this for a very long time. I was down to have CBT months before I actually called them up and asked for an appointment. I don't mean to sound patronising or anything when I say this, but when you're having thoughts like that they should be extra vigilant with the way they support and help you. You should never think you aren't good enough for treatment because everyone deserves to be happy. I've been lucky in that I've had 2 therapists (through the NHS) who have been really kind and seemed to really care about me and not just bombard me with different therapies. I wasn't confident about therapists through the NHS before I actually started, but I promise you they are really good and I'm definitely noticing improvements in my health. Most of them have actually been through the same thing before and so they really seem to know what to say. Please make an appointment! I'm sorry that you're feeling that way but it will get better, trust me :hugs:

Original post by timeandacrayon
I can't say that I have had exactly the same experience but my advice for anything like this is get a doctor on your side, medical opinions work miracles. I would also agree with your friend that if it does not improve a formal complaint is the way to go, they have to take those seriously. I don't know if you have done this but it may help to explain exactly what your problem is and how the university can help, to dispel those stupid rumours. Maybe write it down so you know that you tell them the right thing.

Best of luck and I hope this has been useful.
:hugs:

Thank you for your reply :smile:
I have recently had an appointment with another dean who's a bit more powerful than she is, where I managed to explain my situation properly and that I felt I had been misjudged. But it looks like that woman has brainwashed him and the rest of the medical school into thinking I shouldn't be allowed help anymore :frown: I think if I can't change the situation soon I'll definitely go back to my GP and explain the situation to them. The only thing I'm worried about is that my university don't understand exactly how my condition affects me because they won't give me a chance to explain, and so they think I'll be an "unfit doctor", even though I've already been on 2 placements without any problems! When I had this other meeting he told me if I'm not better by my 4th year I should "really consider another degree option". It's so frustrating! Everything was fine when the old dean was still here :frown:

Thank you for your reply :smile:
I have recently had an appointment with another dean who's a bit more powerful than she is, where I managed to explain my situation properly and that I felt I had been misjudged. But it looks like that woman has brainwashed him and the rest of the medical school into thinking I shouldn't be allowed help anymore :frown: I think if I can't change the situation soon I'll definitely go back to my GP and explain the situation to them. The only thing I'm worried about is that my university don't understand exactly how my condition affects me because they won't give me a chance to explain, and so they think I'll be an "unfit doctor", even though I've already been on 2 placements without any problems! When I had this other meeting he told me if I'm not better by my 4th year I should "really consider another degree option". It's so frustrating! Everything was fine when the old dean was still here :frown:

Its really annoying when people misunderstand anxiety, I personally think it should be renamed like bipolar was to make it seems less like just an amplified emotion. Espechially when things like dyslexia are treated as they should and nobody would be told to consider another degree! I hope you have luck convincing them!
Reply 2872
I'm hoping that other peoples experiences on here will be able to help me. I think that I am suffering from anxiety, and believe that I have had two panic attacks in the last four months. The last was last week, and since then I have been constantly on edge that it might happen again. I have a supportive family and group of friends whohave witnessed my panic episodes and I have encouraged me to visit a doctor. Whilst I realise that this is the right thing to do I am really unsure how to do this, I mean I am unsure what to say to the doctor without sounding like a hypochondriac. I also feel like I need help because my general anxiety levels are heightened at the moment, and I am feeling very overwhelmed, but I'm worried the doctor won't help as I am not having panic attacks very frequently. I was just wondering if someone could explain how they actually put into words how they feel, because every time I have tried discussing it with my parents I have been unable to stop crying,and I am worried this will happen in the doctors. Thank you in advance x
Reply 2873
Uugh I pretty much didn't move from the house yesterday (I walked 5 mins to the shops to get a sandwich and went on the drums, that's literally it), I'm meaning to go the gym today but I just feel like something terrible's gonna happen. Dunno why lifting or exercise machines are just so stressful now, I'm not sure I can push myself : /
I felt like this for a very long time. I was down to have CBT months before I actually called them up and asked for an appointment. I don't mean to sound patronising or anything when I say this, but when you're having thoughts like that they should be extra vigilant with the way they support and help you. You should never think you aren't good enough for treatment because everyone deserves to be happy. I've been lucky in that I've had 2 therapists (through the NHS) who have been really kind and seemed to really care about me and not just bombard me with different therapies. I wasn't confident about therapists through the NHS before I actually started, but I promise you they are really good and I'm definitely noticing improvements in my health. Most of them have actually been through the same thing before and so they really seem to know what to say. Please make an appointment! I'm sorry that you're feeling that way but it will get better, trust me :hugs:

yeah, am gonna bite the bullet and call IAPT on Monday :redface: just been really flat lately, was with friends earlier in the week so managed to distract and cheer myself up a bit then, but now back home alone :frown: idk, I just feel like they probably have more important people to deal with than me, not like I will amount to anything in life. I find it hard to stay happy, sometimes I manage to be happy for short bursts, but then it fades...cool, im glad they have helped you :smile: hopefully IAPT and counselling will help, the latter I will speak to GP about on Friday when I see them, scary week of having to do things :redface:
Reply 2875
Original post by timeandacrayon
:hugs: for anxious typers.
My advice everytime for this situation is to go to the doctors, because they can help, with medication and therapy. You can't judge for it although this often ends up happening, it's not cowardness.
I hope it becomes resolved. :smile:

haha awh thanks! but i cant go to the doctor man. il have to tell my aunt about everything. then itl become an even biiger issue and dont want my parents goin thru any stress...
Reply 2876
Original post by Riku
Uugh I pretty much didn't move from the house yesterday (I walked 5 mins to the shops to get a sandwich and went on the drums, that's literally it), I'm meaning to go the gym today but I just feel like something terrible's gonna happen. Dunno why lifting or exercise machines are just so stressful now, I'm not sure I can push myself : /

haha mannnnn i have the same issue! wenever i go to the gym i feel like every1s watching me and some shi ts about to go down! i jus stopped goin during busy periods!
Reply 2877
Hii everyone :smile:

I posted here a while ago when I was at my worst. It's been about 6 months since then and I have to say I've gotten a LOT better and have tackled a lot of obstacles and although I still have a long way to go I have to say I've never been more proud of myself. I was at a stage once where I just wanted to give up and honestly felt there was no way forward, but I promise you all there is! Nobody else can tell you this, you really need to have faith in yourself. I've had a quick skim through some recent posts and it's honestly heartbreaking reading some of it. I can't tell you how important it is to believe in yourself and you need to have faith that things will get better, or they won't. Trust me I know it's easier said than done, I've been through it all and I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, even though I know it's a long long road ahead. Just DON'T GIVE UP and keep at it. It can take years, but you need to recognise each of your small achievements and eventually they will get bigger and bigger until you actually make some huge steps towards your recovery. I want to share more words of wisdom but I'll save them for now! Because this post would be too long otherwise and I need to rant...

Ok so long story short, I'm in my 3rd year of medical school, and for the past year or so they've been great in terms of helping me out. For example my poor attendance in lectures had been ignored because I explained that I couldn't sit in them. I have also been allowed to sit in smaller rooms for my exams. BUT, some dumb ***** has recently replaced the dean for students because she is on maternity leave. Now this woman doesn't even know me, she's met me once. And during this one meeting she managed to make me cry (which does NOT happen EVER in front of other people. I NEVER cry in front of anyone! Not even my friends or family). Anyway she had absolutely NO remorse or didn't seem to give a crap that I was upset. She just continued to let me know that I will "no longer be receiving any help" and that "if you can't hack it you shouldn't be in medical school", and she basically made out that I was making up a load of **** because obviously the dumb ***** had never heard of how serious anxiety is. Argh!! Excuse all the *s but this really pees me off! Anyway I had to run around for a good month or so trying to chase up the right people to complain about her, and no one at my uni seemed to care. Eventually I made an appointment with the disability & dyslexia co-ordinater, who accidentally let slip some of the **** this ***** has been making up about me! She has been going round saying that I requested "no one to be looking at me while I sit the exam" and to be seated at a chair that was "facing north". I asked him if he was having a laugh but he told me he was being completely serious. How unfair is this?? No wonder no one at my uni wanted to help me out, they probably think I'm trying to milk the system for all it's worth! I've been ridiculously angry the past month with my useless university. I'm under enough stress as it is being a 3rd year medic and my uni have been completely useless. I don't know who to complain to and I don't know what to do about it. I haven't made this very clear and I'm sorry for going off on one but any advice would me much appreciated. I don't wanna be chucked out of this course because of some dumb ***** who's completely judged me and made stuff up about me to make me look like some slacker. My best friend told me to make a formal complaint but I don't know how to go about this. How are they gonna believe me when it's my word against hers?

Anyway if anyone could be bothered to read all of that, thank you! :smile: Has anyone gone through anything like this before? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

i dont really have the same problem but its kinda similar. the one thing i keep telling myself is 'if they dont feed me then fuc k them'. haha sounds kinda dumb but i mean its no use worrying about wat some1 who doesnt mean anything in your life judging u. uv got to where u are today because of ur hardwork so dont let any1 put u down. esp if they dont even know u. i hope everything gets better for u :smile: keep smiling and dont let any fa ggot get u down!
Reply 2878
Original post by Blaze008
haha mannnnn i have the same issue! wenever i go to the gym i feel like every1s watching me and some shi ts about to go down! i jus stopped goin during busy periods!

I think it might be an idea to just approach it like you and laugh at it :') def agree busy periods are the worst.
I always seem to get really bad palps during lifting, shaky when I do cardio, and palps after exercise if I don't get the adrenaline buzz : / today itwas just walking home and I had to sit down for 10 mins because I started thinking I could hear "electrolyte imbalances".
I envy people who can just hop on a treadmill and do some HIIT
Reply 2879
Original post by Riku
I think it might be an idea to just approach it like you and laugh at it :') def agree busy periods are the worst.
I always seem to get really bad palps during lifting, shaky when I do cardio, and palps after exercise if I don't get the adrenaline buzz : / today itwas just walking home and I had to sit down for 10 mins because I started thinking I could hear "electrolyte imbalances".
I envy people who can just hop on a treadmill and do some HIIT

lool yhh u jus gotta laugh. crying abou it only makes it worse. i try to overcome this shyness or watever the hell it is, by telling myself ppl i love will die if i dont behave like a brave man! lol working for me so far! but public speaking is still a ****in issue !! goodluck anyway yo! jus try to think of death. thats how i do more reps! i jus say if i dont lift this shi t or run 15km i will die. haha sounds stupid but actually works!

Quick Reply

Latest