The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cinnamon93
Hi,
Yes I have tried Bach Rescue Remedy and I think it really can help. I don't know about the specific formula ones where the extracts are intended for certain things (although I would love to try those- I am all for natural therapies and refuse to get prescribed medication from the doc.) but I have used the general/ original formula. Whether or not the calming effect is psychological or what it does seem to ease my anxiety slightly. Ive been suffering with severe panic attacks for over 6 months, that have led to slight agoraphobia.

I had CBT which I found helped me to get through my A2 exams and I can now walk my dog by myself, which is a little small achievement). Now, when I go out I find that the Bach Rescue Remedy is my best friend! The original formula is available in the bottle which is applied on the tongue or in liquid with a few drops from the pipette, but I find this is not all that practical when in public. I recommend trying the soothing Bach Rescue Remedy pastelles that you can get in a little tin- they come in Blackcurrent or Original(elderflower and orange) they are really tasty too! They are available in Tesco and probably other supermarkets/ health shops/ online.

If you are suffering from extreme anxiety or just have an anxious moment, give them a go, hope this helps
:smile: xx

Sorry for replying twice!
I just bought some, so next time I get anxious I will give it a try!
Reply 3001
Been a while :eek:

Anyone else done exams this summer? I did GCSEs and I know that they aren't the be all and end all but I'm still worrying about results day.

Just wondering how much you guys are worrying about results day? Like for me, it's not like I worry about it every minute of the day but it pops in to my head fairly often.
Anxiety is linked to stress,right? Well,I've been having a whale of a time recently with both.I just stress myself out to the point I become physically sick and just end up crying. I've been told to man up,but I really have trouble controlling this.
Hi :smile:

Anon for reasons.

I believe I've had episodes of anxiety over the years which have been on and off. However the past few weeks my anxiety has been bad. I spent the last week or so in my room and mostly crying. I was so sick of feeling like this so decided to go and see my GP who noticed I had a really fast heart beat and has put me on propranolol which I took a few hours ago and I have to say it has really calmed me down and slowed my heart rate a bit. It also seems I'm in a much better mood now so all is ok! my anxiety is still there a tiny bit but no where near as bad! I'm also going to have a blood test next week to see if I have a thyroid condition which may be causing the anxiety. :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi :smile:

Anon for reasons.

I believe I've had episodes of anxiety over the years which have been on and off. However the past few weeks my anxiety has been bad. I spent the last week or so in my room and mostly crying. I was so sick of feeling like this so decided to go and see my GP who noticed I had a really fast heart beat and has put me on propranolol which I took a few hours ago and I have to say it has really calmed me down and slowed my heart rate a bit. It also seems I'm in a much better mood now so all is ok! my anxiety is still there a tiny bit but no where near as bad! I'm also going to have a blood test next week to see if I have a thyroid condition which may be causing the anxiety. :biggrin:

It's excellent that you went the doctors, that can be half the battle. Also I've had a positive experience with Propranolol it is a good drug for palpitations.
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here would be able to help me out here - anon for obvious reasons.

I'm a medical student going into my second year and have been suffering with a mixture of mainly anxiety but also bouts of paranoia and feeling down for quite a while, which really started to affect me probably just before the time of UCAS applications. When a minor thing would happen, like maybe if I felt I was annoying someone or something wasn't quite on time, I would begin to hugely panic and end up having a full blown panic attack. I've gone on like this in waves, peaks and troughs until now and it's still happening... probably getting worse and more out of control really.

But my problem is that I'm far far too scared to tell anyone, even my boyfriend, let alone the GP. So when the time came to filling in the mental health form for admissions I just went along to the doctors and of course I hadn't been to tell them about it so it just got an all clear. But now I feel like I need to tell someone and the GP would probably be the right person... but on top of that crushing anxiety of the thought of going there is the thought that me delaying my visit would end in me getting chucked out of med school for withholding information!

I'm sorry for rambling. It was even a step for me to post this and it's anon... haha. Thanks :smile:
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here would be able to help me out here - anon for obvious reasons.

I'm a medical student going into my second year and have been suffering with a mixture of mainly anxiety but also bouts of paranoia and feeling down for quite a while, which really started to affect me probably just before the time of UCAS applications. When a minor thing would happen, like maybe if I felt I was annoying someone or something wasn't quite on time, I would begin to hugely panic and end up having a full blown panic attack. I've gone on like this in waves, peaks and troughs until now and it's still happening... probably getting worse and more out of control really.

But my problem is that I'm far far too scared to tell anyone, even my boyfriend, let alone the GP. So when the time came to filling in the mental health form for admissions I just went along to the doctors and of course I hadn't been to tell them about it so it just got an all clear. But now I feel like I need to tell someone and the GP would probably be the right person... but on top of that crushing anxiety of the thought of going there is the thought that me delaying my visit would end in me getting chucked out of med school for withholding information!

I'm sorry for rambling. It was even a step for me to post this and it's anon... haha. Thanks :smile:

Hello :smile:

The first step is to admit you have a problem. I'm not sure whether you would be chucked out of med school but if the anxiety got bad you could always take a gap year to have a break from it if that were an option for you. You really need to confide in someone. I have panic attacks and I'm currently feeling very down but I rely on my mum to help me through it. I would try your best and speak to your boyfriend about it, if not could you tell a close friend or parent? are there any tutors that you may be able to talk to about it? you do defiantly need to go to your GP about it. I know its scary but there are drugs and or therapy which will help. GP's also know what they are talking about and see these types of cases all the time!

If you need to talk write back! All the best :biggrin:

I'm posting as anon too just because I'm a little bit embarrassed about my problem! :biggrin:

You could also try to get informations over the health check and it's consequences without outing you before, I mean you are a medicine student and nobody would wonder about your interest in your field. That might calm you down and will make it easier to go to a GP afterwards, who by the way has probably no right to tell it to your university?

To get throw out for withholding informations depends on the contract and the tolerance towards it. When you haven't been diagnosed yet, then it's a point for you, because withholding
Does anyone have any tips for starting university when you have anxiety problems? I took a gap year because my anx was so bad throughout sixth form I thought I couldn't cope but am a lot better now, but having been having some doubts as uni is only a month or two away now :s-smilie:
Stupid anxiety thought of the day (half way through eating a bowl of cereal with peanuts in): OMG, what if I'm allergic to peanuts? Would I be dying now? My throat feels a bit tight. ****, I think I'm allergic to peanuts... Oh god oh god oh god.

N.B. I am not allergic to peanuts, and I ate this cereal an hour ago. My throat is still tight because my brain won't stop worrying about it.
Does anyone have any tips for starting university when you have anxiety problems? I took a gap year because my anx was so bad throughout sixth form I thought I couldn't cope but am a lot better now, but having been having some doubts as uni is only a month or two away now :s-smilie:

I don't know, but when you are worrying about certain things, maybe the people here can give you some specific advise/information if it helps. Is there something you worry about specifically? Something you want to know?
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Stupid anxiety thought of the day (half way through eating a bowl of cereal with peanuts in): OMG, what if I'm allergic to peanuts? Would I be dying now? My throat feels a bit tight. ****, I think I'm allergic to peanuts... Oh god oh god oh god.

N.B. I am not allergic to peanuts, and I ate this cereal an hour ago. My throat is still tight because my brain won't stop worrying about it.

you are part way there. you have just said, "i am not allergic to peanuts". so you know it is psychological. keep saying to yourself, even outloud, "this is silly, im not allergic to peanuts, this is in my mind". (that sounds patronising, but it does work, i get it sometimes too!)

the tightening could be because you are stressing about it, so the anxiety is causing stress. do good breathing, and do something that you can become really involved in - this will make you forget about your throat for 5 minutes and then when you stop being focused, youll be able to think "my throat isnt tight, that means it is not an allergy"

hope this helps. x

i havent started uni, but ive had a boyfriend going to uni... he was more depressed than anxious, but im going to be going to uni also next year in september with anxiety.

ive told the universities ive visited about anxiety and what they would be able to do to help. the first step should be to inform the university of the anxiety, be it yourself, a teacher or a parent. that way they will be understanding, know your situation and also offer you further support. you never know, they may have certain ways of preventing anxiety ( i know through the boyfriend that the first week of uni has alot of social events. he is the shyest person i know and he has a wonderful group of friends, so dont worry!). thats the best advice i could give really, as universities would be used to people who suffer anxiety so would know exactly what procedures to do.
Original post by megfashion
you are part way there. you have just said, "i am not allergic to peanuts". so you know it is psychological. keep saying to yourself, even outloud, "this is silly, im not allergic to peanuts, this is in my mind". (that sounds patronising, but it does work, i get it sometimes too!)

the tightening could be because you are stressing about it, so the anxiety is causing stress. do good breathing, and do something that you can become really involved in - this will make you forget about your throat for 5 minutes and then when you stop being focused, youll be able to think "my throat isnt tight, that means it is not an allergy"

hope this helps. x

Thank you, in the end I just gave up, drank some water and went to bed! Such a stupid little thing to get het up over. And quite random too :s-smilie: I really need to get some coping mechanisms in place rather than just sitting there and panicking like a fool!
WEll what helps me personally is having tic tacs. For some reason it calms anxiety n ocd, so i always have a packet on me :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9001
Original post by kiss_me_now9

I used to do this all the time. I still do it now when I take medicine/use hairdye (anything with a list of adverse effects on the label). It's really annoying. Like if hairdye says you might get a rash and have trouble breathing I am convinced that I can't breathe, my body even rashes up out of anxiety so I think I really am allergic.

If you can, be near someone you can explain this to. You're doing the right thing by saying 'no I'm not allergic to peanuts' but sometimes I found it helped to sit with someone else and say 'Hey Sue, you know I'm not allergic to peanuts. I'm worried I am, but I know I'm not' and having them agree with you can help a lot. Of course this relies on someone being sympathetic to your situation.

Good luck!
Been invited by a friend to go to the US for a week, going to him a
and few of his mates. Sounds really good, flying to San Francisco and driving to a few other places spending a few nights at each. Problem is, I haven't met his friends before...

I have pretty severe social anxiety, so on the one hand, it's a really good opportunity to meet new people, which could be good for me. Then there's having to spend nearly 9 days with them and the fear of coming off too quiet, possibly weird :redface:.

Factor in the driving and the ridiculously long plane journey, and I'm pretty nervous. Not sure whether to go.
Been invited by a friend to go to the US for a week, going to him a
and few of his mates. Sounds really good, flying to San Francisco and driving to a few other places spending a few nights at each. Problem is, I haven't met his friends before...

I have pretty severe social anxiety, so on the one hand, it's a really good opportunity to meet new people, which could be good for me. Then there's having to spend nearly 9 days with them and the fear of coming off too quiet, possibly weird :redface:.

Factor in the driving and the ridiculously long plane journey, and I'm pretty nervous. Not sure whether to go.

Please go. Self-doubts etc before going somewhere is completely normal, even to people with just shyness/ milder social anxiety. People won't expect you to be chatty all day every day. Nerves are bound to set in now, but try not to consider it too much until you go, and then take each day as it comes. Adapt a positive mindset; people won't think you strange for being quiet, they'll just assume that's the kind of person you are. people don't usually think too much of other people anyway, they're all going to have a good time. I'm willing to bet that the whole experience won't be as bad as you think. You might have shaky or slightly anxious moments, but it sounds like a situation where you can run on adrenaline, and cope with social events. If you allow youreself too much time to dwell on things, it'll make you apprehensive; just go, and relax, you're not trying to impress anyone or win a personality contest.
Survived three hours doing my first proper shift in the charity shop, and walked myself back. Was nice actually, hopefully I can keep the feeling going for a little while - I'm walking to the shopping complex and then my nemesis Tesco tomorrow (I hate big shops) and back again which is more than I've done in months but :yy: all positive and it'll be ok. Also going to finally register with my home GP tomorrow and try to get an appointment...
Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with sever SAD, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this disorder. Whats it like for you? Does medication or cbt help? What has helped you?

Sorry if I posted this time

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think the key is to just try and put yourself in more social situations..this sounds easy but it is can be really challenging if you have this disorder

Get involved in more activities that put you around people

Go out a bit more (even if its just to the shopping centre/ for a walk with a few friends)

The more you put yourself in social situations..the more you will begin to feel relaxed and understand that there really is nothing to become anxious about

It is essential you DO NOT run away from social situations or isolate yourself as your anxiety will worsen.

Also don't think that your strange or weird and try not to be overly self concious..it's easy to think its all about you e.g. when eating in public you may feel everyone is watching you or judging you..to be honest they really don't have time and couldn't care less how you were eating ..just remind yourself of facts like this and I'm sure you will make really good progress :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest