The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by villageorge
.I've tried really hard to avoid it as much as possible for as long as I can remember (the last I remember was throwing up on the plane outside the toilet while it was being used..)

That sounds awful.:hugs: I'm the same, I can't remember what brought this fear on at all. My mum was ill alot when I was younger, so I thought it might have been that which could've brought my fear on, but I remember being scared even before she was ill. :bored: I've done a bit of reading and apparantly it starts in childhood, which makes sense, but it's frustrating not knowing exactly what caused it. Nobody else in my family has this phobia either. When my family are ill they calmly walk to the bathroom and vomit and never complain. It actually amazes me.

I sometimes just wonder if doing it once would help me get over that fear, though I'm not sure if it sounds stupid.

I've only been sick a couple of times in the last few years which is great, but one thing I do remember after being sick is the immediate relief - I remember thinking 'It wasn't that bad' and 'What was I panicking about?'... Until it happens again. :frown: It's like a cycle which I can't break. I think part of the fear is that doesn't help is that vomiting is quite a rare event. I think if it was normal to vomit everyday it would be easier to live with this phobia because we'd all have done it so often we probably wouldn't fear it.
Original post by loopy786
Okay, so I have worried all of my friends and scared some of them.

Sorry it's sooooo long. I just never shut up.

Well, when your friends no it and want to go with you, why are you bothering about the GP? I mean, that your friend will go with you, shows that the people which opinion bothers you more, are behind you anyway and nothing is wrong going to the Doctor and telling them about unregularities or fallen out hair. He is paid for that and a lot of Doctors are very understanding to every little thing and even talk straight away to you, when they think something is wrong, even if you haven't talked to them. (Hm, acutally I am just wondering myself right now, that I have only made such comforting experiences...except dentists.:colone::colondollar:)

You can write it down, so that you don't forget it, can hand it out to him/her.

And when he is saying everything is okay? It is his job. He is the Doctor. Not everyone can study medicine just to say: Oh, yeah, I am really ill and should go to see the Doctor. :wink:

Come on! You make it!
Reply 3082
I don't know why but I have anxiety.Anxiety for school grades/social life and any subjects you'd be thinking.When I was a kid I was the most social kid in the whole world I guess,I was grouping every people from every nation in a park of London and leading them to anywhere I want while I was not even speaking.I can't make eye contact,I seem to get very depressed about life,the way I live makes me anxious.If I did this,If I did that everything can really change ...
Original post by Nathanielle
Well, when your friends no it and want to go with you, why are you bothering about the GP? I mean, that your friend will go with you, shows that the people which opinion bothers you more, are behind you anyway and nothing is wrong going to the Doctor and telling them about unregularities or fallen out hair. He is paid for that and a lot of Doctors are very understanding to every little thing and even talk straight away to you, when they think something is wrong, even if you haven't talked to them. (Hm, acutally I am just wondering myself right now, that I have only made such comforting experiences...except dentists.:colone::colondollar:)

You can write it down, so that you don't forget it, can hand it out to him/her.

And when he is saying everything is okay? It is his job. He is the Doctor. Not everyone can study medicine just to say: Oh, yeah, I am really ill and should go to see the Doctor. :wink:

Come on! You make it!

Thanks for you encouragingly positive response.

I guess you're right. :frown:

I don't have much confidence in my GP though because he's quite crap at dealing with things. My orthodontist at the hospital has written to him a number of times over the last two years to act further to my referrals to Great Ormond St. as a kid for my facial palsy and he has done nothing. :s-smilie: He's quite hard to talk to, not going to lie.

I guess I should just take my friends and make a list of things to talk about and hope he a) has the time and b) the patience to deal with me because I feel really stupid right now, even though when I'm panicking, I feel like I need serious help. Sigh
Original post by Amwazicles
For me, the biggest thing is being sick myself. But because I'm so cautious about things that could make me sick, it makes me edgy when other people are sick. If someone else says they feel ill, I'm instantly thinking "I need to stay away from them so I don't catch it" and that kind of thing. So I'm uncomfortable with everything about it, but it's all as a result of the fact that I don't want to be sick myself.

atleast you're just frightened of part of it. I'm frightened of all of it. I clearly remember in Y3, one of the boys in my class was sick over on the other side of the room, i started hyperventilating, burst into tears and nearly fainted...
Original post by .snowflake.
atleast you're just frightened of part of it. I'm frightened of all of it. I clearly remember in Y3, one of the boys in my class was sick over on the other side of the room, i started hyperventilating, burst into tears and nearly fainted...

Sorry I'm not the person you responded to, but wow, that must be terrible. I hope you don't mind me asking but have you tried cognitive therapy, counselling, anything like that? Did you find it useful? I have quite mild emetophobia compared to you, I always have panic attacks when I feel nauseous/know I'm going to vomit, but I'm fine with other aspects of vomit. Like I'm fine when others are being sick. I can't imagine what it must be for people who feel ill about everything to do with vomit.
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry I'm not the person you responded to, but wow, that must be terrible. I hope you don't mind me asking but have you tried cognitive therapy, counselling, anything like that? Did you find it useful? I have quite mild emetophobia compared to you, I always have panic attacks when I feel nauseous/know I'm going to vomit, but I'm fine with other aspects of vomit. Like I'm fine when others are being sick. I can't imagine what it must be for people who feel ill about everything to do with vomit.

never tried cBT or anything like that. From the sounds of what they're making my friend with social anxiety do during her CBT, its the one thing I don't want to try.
Does anyone else who suffer from anxiety have a problem with sweating ALOT ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chicagowonderland
Does anyone else who suffer form anxiety have a problem with sweating ALOT ?

YES . It's very annoying but my mum bought me this to put on my underarms and it's amazing. It drinks the sweat glands and now even when I haven't used it for months it still works.

http://www.boots.com/en/Driclor-Solution-Roll-On-Applicator_22023/
I've never found it particularly helpful personally. In fact, the few times I have researched it, I generally found that my own experience was so different to everyone else's that it was like I was reading about something else. It seems by far the most common reason for emetophobia is fear of embarrassment or being sick in a public place, which is not how I feel about it at all. And I never found anything about people's eating being affecting to the extent that mine was. :dontknow: But I suppose if I had found information that I could really relate to, it might have made me feel better. :redface:

:teehee: I just got the same message. Hope you're doing OK? :hugs: I'm feeling rough lately, too. I think it's being on holiday and having nothing to do all day. I get down so quickly when there's nothing to distract me from my thoughts. I'm still deciding whether that means there's something wrong with my thoughts all the time, even when I'm not thinking about them. :s-smilie: I've recently been reading into dysthymia and wondering whether that's a possibility for me, because the explanation of a mildly low-level mood for a really long time seems to explain my feelings a bit better than other things.

Original post by .snowflake.

Oh yes, well as I said, being frightened of one part leads on to all the other parts. In fact I remember a similar time in Y6 I think, where someone was sick (and we had a supply teacher at the time, ugh), I had a huge panic attack in the middle of the class, was crying and screaming at the teacher to let me leave the classroom, eventually they did and I was sent home early.

:hugs:
Original post by puddledancer
YES . It's very annoying but my mum bought me this to put on my underarms and it's amazing. It drinks the sweat glands and now even when I haven't used it for months it still works.

http://www.boots.com/en/Driclor-Solution-Roll-On-Applicator_22023/

Thank you so much I will be trying it out. Going to try and avoid buying synthetic clothing as well.
Thank you so much I will be trying it out. Going to try and avoid buying synthetic clothing as well.

Well here is a warning, you're a boy so you probably don't shave your underarms but DO NOT APPLY TO SHAVED AREAS it stings like hell. It's best to out on at in time before you go to bed then wash off in the morning for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't advise using on too many areas because you still have to sweat lol.

For the price though it is well worth it.

Also it doesn't drink the sweat glands it shrinks them. Lol.
Original post by puddledancer
Well here is a warning, you're a boy so you probably don't shave your underarms but DO NOT APPLY TO SHAVED AREAS it stings like hell. It's best to out on at in time before you go to bed then wash off in the morning for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't advise using on too many areas because you still have to sweat lol.

For the price though it is well worth it.

Also it doesn't drink the sweat glands it shrinks them. Lol.

I'll try it once also. Bracing for stings lol

That sounds awful.:hugs: I'm the same, I can't remember what brought this fear on at all. My mum was ill alot when I was younger, so I thought it might have been that which could've brought my fear on, but I remember being scared even before she was ill. :bored: I've done a bit of reading and apparantly it starts in childhood, which makes sense, but it's frustrating not knowing exactly what caused it. Nobody else in my family has this phobia either. When my family are ill they calmly walk to the bathroom and vomit and never complain. It actually amazes me.

I've only been sick a couple of times in the last few years which is great, but one thing I do remember after being sick is the immediate relief - I remember thinking 'It wasn't that bad' and 'What was I panicking about?'... Until it happens again. :frown: It's like a cycle which I can't break. I think part of the fear is that doesn't help is that vomiting is quite a rare event. I think if it was normal to vomit everyday it would be easier to live with this phobia because we'd all have done it so often we probably wouldn't fear it.

I don't know why it started for me. I just really want to avoid it too much...but I can't help but feel it hinders me from getting fit or helping other people when they're ill :/ And when doctors/dentists tell me to say ahh and open wide...dammit.
Original post by villageorge
I'll try it once also. Bracing for the stings

Persevere with it even if it does stings its great stuff.
Ohh that sounds quite cool actually. :yep:

Nada, not okay - who truly is? :holmes: University is a couple of weeks away though, so can see the regular doc then. The ones over here seem to think I'm just trying to knock myself out lol, can't blame them though, you can't really walk into a new clinic and see a new doctor and ask for something that's not normally the first line of treatment. :tongue: You'd be surprised at how many people try this out to abuse it (some types of meds get you high, euphoric as a side-effect to their main purpose etc), which makes for doctors reluctant and difficult to prescribe for people that genuinely need such medications.

What's up?

Shouldn't they have some kind of record that you have been prescribed something before? :s-smilie: At least you can get it soon though.

apply it in the evenings after your 'special time'... if you get what i mean.. because if u don't it will sting like hell
apply it in the evenings after your 'special time'... if you get what i mean.. because if u don't it will sting like hell

lool talking from previous experience I see :colone:.
I'm sure you've tried it but maybe give Promethazine a shot? It's good for insomnia. My friend got given some in hospital and it worked just as well as any Z drugs for her. Maybe worth a shot? Not addictive either, which is good. I think you can get it OTC.
I think reading about it just tends to make me freak a little bit. I find it hard to relate to some peoples experiences since I guess we are all different, and I am a kinda atypical emetophobe :tongue:
That is ridiculous. I did not know that. I always assumed it was all some kind of online database? I'm sure it will be by the time our generation are the majority of adults. Most of today's adults would still be uncomfortable with that level of information-sharing, I suppose.

I've gone ahead and got some Nytol for now (weak ass ****e, took 4, which is enough for some sedation), and a few drinks a night + reading books at a quiet pub helps, will see how that goes. My mum reckons Allah is the cure. Was almost frightened today that she may have found out that I drank, apparently my eyes were red... -_- My dad isn't exactly helping either.

Honestly can't wait to get back to university in a few weeks. I have rented a large enough room to implement a 'sleep hygiene' type of therapy along with some short-term course of 2-4 weeks of meds to address chronic insomnia and the countless varieties of anxiety (which will help especially for presentations, job interviews etc. ahh a world without worries!).

At least it isn't long to start now. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest