The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Amwazicles
Yeah most times I just feel pretty hopeless about the actual phobia ever going away, but just learning to live with it instead. :frown:

I don't feel *healthy* as such, because I get tired easily and whatnot, due to my weight, I think I am slightly underweight, although not as badly as I have been in the past. I often feel like I am eating well, because I eat until I feel like I'm full, but when I compare to what other people eat, it actually isn't as much as I should be. I think I have sort of learnt to tell myself I'm full before I actually am, in order to prevent the anxiety I get when I am very full.
I think the kinds of food I eat are generally OK, it's not like I just live on chocolate or anything, I do eat a fair variety of fruit, veg, carbs, protein etc, just not really enough of any of them.

I often feel like I have to decide between (for example), having a bigger portion at dinner, and then being really anxious/panicky in the evening and not sleeping, or eating slightly less and then at least sleeping well. But it's sort of lose-lose, because if I don't sleep well, then I feel tired, but if I don't eat enough, i also feel tired.

:frown:
(sorry for the ramble)

I think its just one of those things that your going to have to slowly ease yourself out off. What ever you do, don't accept it as a life style because its not. And you know its not.
Just slowly change your diet over a period of months/years, every time you feel you can't eat, weigh it up in your head or talk to someone about it.
You can't live with that kind of anxiety on your shoulders for the rest of your life.

At least your starting to eat healthy and you weigh more than you said you used to. This is progress, so if you've made this much progress why can't you keep going and going and fight the entire situation off.

Its not going to be easy but if you can do little bits at a time, eventually it will start to sink into your head.

Don't worry about ranting, thats why i'm replying to you, so you can get all the annoying thoughts that get stuck and fly around your head out in the open. :smile:
Original post by Ratiocinator
I'm seeing the doctor next week. I hope it gets better from there.

Good for you :smile: And things will get better. Keep us posted if you like.

:smile:
Original post by jack747
I think its just one of those things that your going to have to slowly ease yourself out off. What ever you do, don't accept it as a life style because its not. And you know its not.
Just slowly change your diet over a period of months/years, every time you feel you can't eat, weigh it up in your head or talk to someone about it.
You can't live with that kind of anxiety on your shoulders for the rest of your life.

At least your starting to eat healthy and you weigh more than you said you used to. This is progress, so if you've made this much progress why can't you keep going and going and fight the entire situation off.

Its not going to be easy but if you can do little bits at a time, eventually it will start to sink into your head.

Don't worry about ranting, thats why i'm replying to you, so you can get all the annoying thoughts that get stuck and fly around your head out in the open. :smile:

Thanks that's such an uplifting message. :smile:

People who disagree with the internet should just take a look at some of the stuff on here, it's a great invention.

Thanks for replying to everything, and I will keep working on it, and keep you informed as long as you can be bothered to listen (and after that, as long as there is somewhere for me to write it :tongue:)

Reply 63
I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: I hope visiting this thread will always cheer you up :smile:

What other things make you anxious?

Edit: Four pages!!!... Gonna have to give up doing this soon...

Literally everything. I used to be really anxious about which pony I'd get to ride, when I was younger! Generally I just have a constant weight on my chest, for what seems to be no reason whatsoever, I get rashes, itches, headaches, etc. Even my elbows are so badly affected by the damn thing I had to go do x-rays only for the doctor to find there was nothing wrong with them. It seems my body isn't happy if there isn't something wrong with it, haha. I have constant headaches as well, like they'll go on for up to a week/a week and a half, and I go to bed and wake up with the same dull pain in my head all the time.

I think the underlying cause is that I'm also a perfectionist and slightly neurotic according to a lot of those personality tests you find on the Internet, and I set myself high academic goals. I'm currently really, really worried I won't get a 2:1, and it's eating me up. I always try to do my best, but I'm worried that next year, it won't be enough. I have medication, but I try to take as little as possible so as to not become independent. If it gets too much, though, I've always got some with me.
Reply 64
Thanks that's such an uplifting message. :smile:

People who disagree with the internet should just take a look at some of the stuff on here, it's a great invention.

Thanks for replying to everything, and I will keep working on it, and keep you informed as long as you can be bothered to listen (and after that, as long as there is somewhere for me to write it :tongue:)

Your more than welcome, i can only just begin to grasp what your going though. I can understand the anxiety and your situation, but understanding is one thing, going through it first hand is another.

As i said either quote me on here or your more than welcome to pm me if you start getting down.
I'm not exactly having the greatest time in my life either atm so being able to chat to someone else with problems helps me :colondollar:
Original post by Anatheme
Literally everything. I used to be really anxious about which pony I'd get to ride, when I was younger! Generally I just have a constant weight on my chest, for what seems to be no reason whatsoever, I get rashes, itches, headaches, etc. Even my elbows are so badly affected by the damn thing I had to go do x-rays only for the doctor to find there was nothing wrong with them. It seems my body isn't happy if there isn't something wrong with it, haha. I have constant headaches as well, like they'll go on for up to a week/a week and a half, and I go to bed and wake up with the same dull pain in my head all the time.

I think the underlying cause is that I'm also a perfectionist and slightly neurotic according to a lot of those personality tests you find on the Internet, and I set myself high academic goals. I'm currently really, really worried I won't get a 2:1, and it's eating me up. I always try to do my best, but I'm worried that next year, it won't be enough. I have medication, but I try to take as little as possible so as to not become independent. If it gets too much, though, I've always got some with me.

That sounds really horrible for you. :frown:

I know what you mean about perfectionism, I think it causes a lot of anxiety in lots of people so you're not alone. I hear you have medication, are you having any therapy/counselling? Without wanting to sound like I repeat myself in every post, if you haven't, I really would recommend you give it a try, as you will be able to get some of that 'weight' off your chest and let it out.

Reply 66
Yeah most times I just feel pretty hopeless about the actual phobia ever going away, but just learning to live with it instead. :frown:

I don't feel *healthy* as such, because I get tired easily and whatnot, due to my weight, I think I am slightly underweight, although not as badly as I have been in the past. I often feel like I am eating well, because I eat until I feel like I'm full, but when I compare to what other people eat, it actually isn't as much as I should be. I think I have sort of learnt to tell myself I'm full before I actually am, in order to prevent the anxiety I get when I am very full.
I think the kinds of food I eat are generally OK, it's not like I just live on chocolate or anything, I do eat a fair variety of fruit, veg, carbs, protein etc, just not really enough of any of them.

I often feel like I have to decide between (for example), having a bigger portion at dinner, and then being really anxious/panicky in the evening and not sleeping, or eating slightly less and then at least sleeping well. But it's sort of lose-lose, because if I don't sleep well, then I feel tired, but if I don't eat enough, i also feel tired.

:frown:
(sorry for the ramble)

Are you sure it's completely anxiety-related? It could just be that your body would prefer to have smaller portions more regularly? We're used to the 3 meals a day regime, but I find myself having troubles with it, so I generally have 5/6 smaller meals. I'm full way quicker than my friends, but I feel hungry again pretty soon afterwards.
Original post by jack747
Your more than welcome, i can only just begin to grasp what your going though. I can understand the anxiety and your situation, but understanding is one thing, going through it first hand is another.

As i said either quote me on here or your more than welcome to pm me if you start getting down.
I'm not exactly having the greatest time in my life either atm so being able to chat to someone else with problems helps me :colondollar:

Agreed. I think this definitely a symbiotic relationship going on.
(look it up, it's not dirty :colondollar:)

I'll post on here next time I feel like offloading anything, and you should do the same or PM me if you like.

:smile: :smile:
Reply 68
That sounds really horrible for you. :frown:

I know what you mean about perfectionism, I think it causes a lot of anxiety in lots of people so you're not alone. I hear you have medication, are you having any therapy/counselling? Without wanting to sound like I repeat myself in every post, if you haven't, I really would recommend you give it a try, as you will be able to get some of that 'weight' off your chest and let it out.

Currently not, as I'm in Russia and I don't think it's even recognised as a treatable problem (I mean, they believe vegetarianism is an illness…) Once I'm back at university, I will carry on with it, but the counsellor tends to ramble instead of letting me say what I need to say, and it kind of frustrates me a bit, at times. As for relaxation, I have an MP3 on my iPod that I play when I can't calm down by myself :smile:
Are you sure it's completely anxiety-related? It could just be that your body would prefer to have smaller portions more regularly? We're used to the 3 meals a day regime, but I find myself having troubles with it, so I generally have 5/6 smaller meals. I'm full way quicker than my friends, but I feel hungry again pretty soon afterwards.

Yeah that is usually my pattern, little and often rather than bigger, spaced out meals. However, the anxiety definitely has an effect on what/how/when I eat.

Currently not, as I'm in Russia and I don't think it's even recognised as a treatable problem (I mean, they believe vegetarianism is an illness…) Once I'm back at university, I will carry on with it, but the counsellor tends to ramble instead of letting me say what I need to say, and it kind of frustrates me a bit, at times. As for relaxation, I have an MP3 on my iPod that I play when I can't calm down by myself :smile:

That relaxing MP3 sounds a good idea :smile:
I'm sorry to hear about the way things are in Russia, funny perhaps, but unfortunate. Maybe if you don't get along with your therapist, you could try seeing a different one? I have found that it can take a while to find 'the one' for you, but it will be worth it.

Reply 71
Agreed. I think this definitely a symbiotic relationship going on.
(look it up, it's not dirty :colondollar:)

I'll post on here next time I feel like offloading anything, and you should do the same or PM me if you like.

:smile: :smile:

Aha i suppose we are two different species. But not too different.
I should hope not as your 16 :wink:

But yeah you know where i am, kinda aha.
Original post by jack747
Aha i suppose we are two different species. But not too different.
I should hope not as your 16 :wink:

But yeah you know where i am, kinda aha.

Yes two different species mutually benefitting. :smile:

(I don't see an age on your profile.... :curious:)
Reply 73
try this
looks weird but apparently works

worked for the fear of heights for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFn8tX5xD4s&feature=channel_video_title
Original post by wasteman
try this
looks weird but apparently works

worked for the fear of heights for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFn8tX5xD4s&feature=channel_video_title

I had this for a while actually, but I found it didn't really work for me.

Glad it worked for you, though :smile:
Reply 75
Yes two different species mutually benefitting. :smile:

(I don't see an age on your profile.... :curious:)

Aha i am the one with no age.

I'm 19. Nearly 20. :tongue:
Original post by jack747
Aha i am the one with no age.

I'm 19. Nearly 20. :tongue:

Congratulations... Not really sure how I was expecting to respond to that :colondollar:
Reply 77
I had this for a while actually, but I found it didn't really work for me.

Glad it worked for you, though :smile:

maybe you didn do it right...
Original post by wasteman
maybe you didn do it right...

I think the trouble with slightly alternative therapies like that is you need to believe in it for it to be very effective, and I was cynical from the start and nothing mde me doubt that.
Reply 79
Congratulations... Not really sure how I was expecting to respond to that :colondollar:

aha, don't worry.

i still stand by what i said though.

about talking about your anxiety if you need to let stuff out.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest