The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4600
Original post by JollyJelly
Sounds like he has a mind of his own :wink:

Do you drive a car? Rev counters aren't complicated at all :smile:

I do drive a car, but I ignore the rev counter. I just change gear when I feel like it. Doesn't everybody?
Original post by Juno
I do drive a car, but I ignore the rev counter. I just change gear when I feel like it. Doesn't everybody?

Maybe...but I do :tongue: if I'm overtaking/going up a hill/ trying to keep up with mates etc then I'll take it to around 5000 rpm. Then for most of the time I change at around 2500-3000 and if I'm in town I'll short-shift and change at around 1000 but that's a really rough guide, it all depends.

I live in an area with a lot of national speed limit twisty roads, so if I'm driving fast at night say, then I may keep the revs higher for more torque. Basically, maybe it's just me, but I look at my revs just as much as my speedo.
Original post by Juno
Aw, don't start introducing more confusing things like rev counters :sad:

Thanks, though :smile:

I'm trying to work out how much petrol he's got so I know when we have to visit the petrol station (v scary, due to location in roadworks, lots of big lorries, stupid roundabouts that change every day (no, seriously, it does) with bad lane markings, and just coz we've never done it before). I can't see any petrol in him, but he isn't on the reserve tank yet.

He's diddy, but he's also really heavy! When I'm trying to push him somewhere and he doesn't want to go - which is all the time; clearly he's not used to me being in charge yet - he's quite awkward.

on the SR i could see fuel for the first half of the tank.

and most people do ignore the rev counter, its pretty pointless.
Reply 4603
Original post by JollyJelly
Maybe...but I do :tongue: if I'm overtaking/going up a hill/ trying to keep up with mates etc then I'll take it to around 5000 rpm. Then for most of the time I change at around 2500-3000 and if I'm in town I'll short-shift and change at around 1000 but that's a really rough guide, it all depends.

I live in an area with a lot of national speed limit twisty roads, so if I'm driving fast at night say, then I may keep the revs higher for more torque. Basically, maybe it's just me, but I look at my revs just as much as my speedo.

Sometimes I change gear later than others - I get mad at Daddy though, coz he takes Rich over 50mph in 3rd - but I don't notice what his revs are. I just concentrate on the other stuff, and when he sounds/feels grumpy I change.

Original post by Boristhethird
on the SR i could see fuel for the first half of the tank.

and most people do ignore the rev counter, its pretty pointless.

Hmmmm, I don't think he has much in, then.

Now I've got a bike I've realised how much I don't know about them :sad:
ello! not been in here for a while :smile:

finally got the R6 I wanted for ages!

419383_10150530523481829_506326828_9159504_1761939952_n.jpg
Reply 4605
Just had adventure. Now am muddy.

(For reference, the petrol station is on a roundabout that I used to run to from my house - about 5k and back. I work about a mile from my house, in opposite direction to petrol station).

So I decide to ride to work, and then get petrol on the way home. They've diverted the road a bit, so now there is another roundabout :eek: before the one with the petrol station. I get in the wrong lane, panic, and end up down the new bit of the A46.

I take the next exit, coz it's signposted back to where I want to be (ish) and I kinda hope it will just take me off and back onto the same road to go back on myself.

No.

Then I find another roundabout, 2 different petrol stations, a weird flyover bit, and East Bridgford. Eventually I somehow ended up at the fish and chip shop :dontknow: and managed to find my way back from there.

Then I couldn't get my stupid loyalty card to work and ended up having to do "pay in shop" not "pay at pump", and on the way back the traffic was awful and it was crawling all the way (which is weird, coz it's the opposite way to usual rush hour).

This kinda went: car behind comes far too close, panic, get too close to the car in front, stop, stall. Repeat. Then I remembered it was just like I've practiced, tried to stop panicking (also tried to glare at woman in car behind but don't think I was successful) and managed to ride really slow :proud:

The adventure took around an hour, and I only put 7 litres in him.
Original post by Boristhethird
to get in, you need to let me have a go on each of your bikes :P

in seiousness, keep poking wiggles till she adds you.

oh and Hello

Lol, I live in the Lake District so anytime you're up my neck of tbe woods, youre more than welcome. I may even let you take the baby Busa for a spin, if you can call 1400cc a baby......it'll scare the s*#t out of you, but its so much fun!
boom, another ZX9 rider. photo whore oppurtunity
Reply 4608
Original post by crazyjoyce
boom, another ZX9 rider. photo whore oppurtunity

:eek: He's nice :emog:

better in green, though
Original post by Juno
:eek: He's nice :emog:

better in green, though

Nah, blue every time! Mine is blue and very pretty.....
Reply 4610
Original post by select the right name

I have a green ninja :grin:

Tis a keyring.

B, C, E or F?
Original post by crazyjoyce
B, C, E or F?

Its an E2. It was my graduation present to me from me! Graduated from my first degree in 2001.
Reply 4613
Its an E2. It was my graduation present to me from me! Graduated from my first degree in 2001.

I forgot to tell you that to get admitted to the society you have to:

Post pics of the bike

Tell us what the bike is called (and if it's male or female)

Let me have a go

Tell us how much petrol (roughly) fits in its tank, and how long that lasts you

:yep:
time for some new motorcycle boots, any recommendations? I have been looking at the alpinestars smx-5 boots, has anyone had them ?
Juno 12litres, or about 170miles range
Reply 4616
Original post by Bathwiggle
Juno 12litres, or about 170miles range

:eek: So my 7 litres is going to last me, like, forever :eek:
Original post by Juno
:eek: So my 7 litres is going to last me, like, forever :eek:

yup
Reply 4618
yup

This is weird. Rich drinks about 20 a month and we hardly go anywhere.
Reply 4619
yup

This is weird. Rich drinks about 20 a month and we hardly go anywhere.

Latest