The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boristhethird
:smile:

Not me, i couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery apparently! and my attempt was the air ambulance!

It needs lots and lots of love.

Original post by Juno
Well, somebody else with an SV will have to let me have a go on theirs then :yep:

I don't have mine either!
Reply 6621
Original post by Bathwiggle

Fine. I'm having Honda :huff:
Original post by Juno
Fine. I'm having Honda :huff:

Honda's in pieces, triumph?
Not me, i couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery apparently! and my attempt was the air ambulance!

It needs lots and lots of love.

do one before the 8th september (thats when i go down south)

i wont be picky on free bikes :tongue:
Reply 6624

How many bikes do you have, and why are they always in pieces?!

i wont be picky on free bikes :tongue:

Glad someone isn't :tongue:
I would... but i'm busy ALL of august, what with going to gigs, family things, scout things, and moving!

Original post by Juno
How many bikes do you have, and why are they always in pieces?!

One's that i can use at any time??

Honda
sv
sv
er6f
trophy triumph
xj6
gsxr stretched
gsxr streetfightered
gsxr1000
cbr1000
r1
r6
Teapot has now been sold....

and because the mileage that they do
Reply 6626

One's that i can use at any time??

Honda
sv
sv
er6f
trophy triumph
xj6
gsxr stretched
gsxr streetfightered
gsxr1000
cbr1000
r1
r6
Teapot has now been sold....

and because the mileage that they do

I think I left my bike at your house :yes:

Maybe you should stop breaking em :console:

When are you coming to look at Ugs? Boris is useless.
got an apprenticeship with network rail, and the first 9 months are on a navel base near Portsmouth.

Well done!

No, no, no, no:no:

Original post by Juno

No, you clean it. Why do you think I keep you?!

:snort:

But I am down south (for once)

Though seriously, unless anyone is free this week which I doubt, I'm going back up on Sunday so I doubt I can meet up with people unless they come up North.
Original post by Lantana
Well done!

Though seriously, unless anyone is free this week which I doubt, I'm going back up on Sunday so I doubt I can meet up with people unless they come up North.

I;m busy all weekend :frown:
Reply 6629
Original post by Lantana
Well done!

Sad news :frown:
if the weather holds I'll be riding to Bolton to go to George White's (dont correct me) and buy some boots. :biggrin:
what system would you recommend? my brother is working in a bike shop now, so i can get scorpion cans cheaply (~£100)

got some spotlights going on, plus planning on getting a xenon kit on.

For the downpipes or the end can?
Tbh if you're going for both it could be worth going for a whole system if you have the money.

I just bought cheap stainless steel ones off Ebay for like £170. and the Endpipe was on there when i got the bike then i smashed it.

Xenon kit sounds good. Wish my bike had better headlights... :colone:
Hein Gerrike are in administration. Web site says there will be a closing down sale.
A couple of questions on filtering if anyone could answer. :smile:

Do you guys always filter if there is an opportunity to do so? Are there times when you simply won't filter at all? If you do filter, do you go to the very front of the queue?

I did my first bit of filtering the other day... saved a bunch of time until I reached idiot BMW driver who seemed hell bent on taking up two lanes... I just want to educate myself to the best practices of filtering so I can do it safely.

Thanks!
Original post by mikeyd85
A couple of questions on filtering if anyone could answer. :smile:

Do you guys always filter if there is an opportunity to do so? Are there times when you simply won't filter at all? If you do filter, do you go to the very front of the queue?

I did my first bit of filtering the other day... saved a bunch of time until I reached idiot BMW driver who seemed hell bent on taking up two lanes... I just want to educate myself to the best practices of filtering so I can do it safely.

Thanks!

Motorcycle roadcraft is a very good book on how to filter (as well as doing other things)

Personally I will filter all the time as long as I think it's safe to do so, things that make me feel it's unsafe are:

-Me being lost (I'm not going to try and get to the front of a queue when I might want to go the other way)
-Riding with less confident people
-No overtaking lines at the sides of the road.
-Dickhead drivers (people that are not keen on motorcyclists)

One thing I've been told to do that I've seen almost no other people do is to only filter to in front of the second car, this means you wont encourage people at the front of the lights to race you. You'll just be able to slip in behind the lead car when the lights go green.
Original post by mikeyd85

:no: If I'm on my own, then I will alot of the time as I might as well use my advantage to save time. However, I get very nervy about lorries and small lane sizes. I also don't filter if the traffic is going too fast for my liking either. I'm normally the less experienced one when I go out for a ride out, but if with others that don't like it or when travelling in convoy where people don't know the way I won't. Also, sometimes I lapse into 'car mode' and forget that I can :lol:

Not always. One got told off by the police for doing it at a pedestrain crossing and also see answer below. I think knowing when to filter is something you pick up over time and just do what you're comfortable with - even on a ride out, the better riders will wait or catch you up and if they don't they're not worth riding with.

There are people like that. You either act really agressive by getting up close and revving and possibly end up in a fight or just wait it out until you can pass because you know it's a case of when, not IF you're going to get past. I don't like the people that get so nervous about you following them that they're practically driving on the verge, it makes me worry for them.

Original post by Chilledice

One thing I've been told to do that I've seen almost no other people do is to only filter to in front of the second car, this means you wont encourage people at the front of the lights to race you. You'll just be able to slip in behind the lead car when the lights go green.

I do this at times, depending on how close the lights are to changing and width and visibility of the road. It's sometimes safer as you slot into position in the traffic but at other times I feel too enclosed and want to get out fast. Also it depends where you come out and if you want to turn e.g. wanting to turn left but the car in front wants to turn right and you're coming up on the RHS of them - better to sit behind them. :yep:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6636
Original post by Lantana
Also, sometimes I lapse into 'car mode' and forget that I can :lol:

Wiggles' dad (at least, I'm fairly sure it was Wiggles' dad, it's possibly silly enough to actually be Wiggles herself...) told me about a time he tried to filter, then realised he was in a car and thus had to turn right at the traffic lights instead to not look silly
Original post by Juno
Wiggles' dad (at least, I'm fairly sure it was Wiggles' dad, it's possibly silly enough to actually be Wiggles herself...) told me about a time he tried to filter, then realised he was in a car and thus had to turn right at the traffic lights instead to not look silly

ive done that in a driving test, and joel has nearly when he was driving my mums car
Original post by Juno

Yup that would be my father. Me and filtering... we won't go there wil we, other than to say it saves time, learn to predict what the other vehicles are doing, and if need be check the wheels, if they are turned to the right you can bet they'll try and pull out into you, and legally it's only for slow moving traffic up to 20mph, 40 is acceptable from the policeman i was having a chat with, but that might just be him, and just because you think 60 is slow, doesn't mean the police will accept you filtering past everyone. But i won't go over solid white lines, will be careful between a van and car, won't go between two lorries/person on the phone
Reply 6639
Yup that would be my father. Me and filtering... we won't go there wil we, other than to say it saves time, learn to predict what the other vehicles are doing, and if need be check the wheels, if they are turned to the right you can bet they'll try and pull out into you, and legally it's only for slow moving traffic up to 20mph, 40 is acceptable from the policeman i was having a chat with, but that might just be him, and just because you think 60 is slow, doesn't mean the police will accept you filtering past everyone. But i won't go over solid white lines, will be careful between a van and car, won't go between two lorries/person on the phone

I always do it when I am on my own, probably in places I shouldn't. Out with wiggles we end up chatting crap and I forget to... then she nudges me :tongue: but I don't like filtering at really high speeds, although motorways if pretty sparse I have done depending on where I need to be. Tbh I like just poodling and its only if time is a factor that I will usually go past everything I have the chance to. Like this morning at work :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending